• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Game worthy Crpg Worlds

The Little Raven

First Post
The world of Half-Life 2 would be interesting as a tabletop RPG.

That game ruined me for most other story-driven games. I loved it's philosophy of "The story and backstory will be provided by in-game comments made by characters and bits of information spread around that you have to actually look for." No spoon-feeding, no plethora of heavy-handed cutscenes that take you out of the action constantly (Army of Two, I'm looking at you!), no reams of plot exposition thrown at you.

I've found Final Fantasy 1 to be an excellent game to turn into a two-tier (Epic to Paragon) campaign. Not story-driven like other FF games, so you don't need to account for certain character-based plot elements (
like Kain betraying you every 10 seconds
), it's easy to adapt to any kind of D&D party. It's also giving me a chance to create some encounters in the Floating Fortress (depicted as a space station in the original version) that use my Star War Galaxy Tiles, and feature a de-leveled Tiamat (though I do need to double-check on the FF1 Tiamat stats to see if there's any special schtick that needs to be represented).

I'm in the process of turning the whole world map into a giant hex map (thank you Hexographer, you rock).

Dragonbait

Explorer
Mass Effect - I saw a project on the wizards boards to make a ME rpg using the saga system. I was amazed at the scope of the setting and all its potential.

World of Warcraft - Big setting, lots of stories, lots of power groups. It was done with the d20 system. I found that the Horde/Alliance divide had potential for great role-playing but could cause problems when different players wanted to be races on differing sides.. Of course, it seems that only the people playing WoW care about the Horde/Alliance alliegence since there are a huge amount of examples in-setting where races ignore those factions..

The world of FFX/FFX-2 or FFXI or FFXII/FF tactics advanced/FF tactics - I can only guess at FFX but FFXI and FFXII presented worlds where there were many stories going on. The whole world did not revolve around a single story line like previous JRPGs did. Lots of potential, races, classes, groups, etc.

the world of Elder Scrolls - this looks like someone's 1ed D&D setting converted to a video game series. Everything you need is there.

Sunderstone

First Post
My choices...

Mass Effect
Dead Space (sci-fi survival horror would be excellent)
Xenogears universe (one of squaresofts best)
Final Fantasy IV (Cecil, Rosa, etc)
Final Fantasy VI (aka III on the Super NES)
Final Fantasy VIII (Midgar ftw)
Warcraft (Azeroth before the WoW changes)

Sir Robilar

First Post
I'm really fond of the world from the Geneforge series, a blend of Fantasy and Science Fiction elements.

(BTW anyone who doesn't know Geneforge but enjoys sandbox style rpging as in the first Fallout game should check it out).

Kaladhan

First Post
I have to agree with Fallout and Mass Effect. They are indeed worthy choices to convert to RPG.

To add to the list :
GTA IV
Rogue Galaxy
Dragon Quest VIII

-----
I would also add Dragon Age, but it seems we're gonna get one. :D

possum

First Post
Mass Effect - I saw a project on the wizards boards to make a ME rpg using the saga system. I was amazed at the scope of the setting and all its potential.

World of Warcraft - Big setting, lots of stories, lots of power groups. It was done with the d20 system. I found that the Horde/Alliance divide had potential for great role-playing but could cause problems when different players wanted to be races on differing sides.. Of course, it seems that only the people playing WoW care about the Horde/Alliance alliegence since there are a huge amount of examples in-setting where races ignore those factions..

The world of FFX/FFX-2 or FFXI or FFXII/FF tactics advanced/FF tactics - I can only guess at FFX but FFXI and FFXII presented worlds where there were many stories going on. The whole world did not revolve around a single story line like previous JRPGs did. Lots of potential, races, classes, groups, etc.

the world of Elder Scrolls - this looks like someone's 1ed D&D setting converted to a video game series. Everything you need is there.

Bah, I can't believe I forgot Ivalice when I mentioned a good Final Fantasy to play in. Good thinking.

Remove ads