• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gamebreakers

Shadowslayer

Explorer
I have 2.

1. DMs who rewrite the game in their own image. Sure, some flavor variance is fine in the name of fun play, but don't hand me a 20 page document explaining why the info in the PHB I'm holding is invalid. I'm playing D&D because I LIKE stories about elves and dwarves and orcs and dragons. And yes, Diplomacy is a skill that requires dice rolling too.

2. Interparty conflict. Just a preference, but I hate it. Banter and such is fine, but when it comes to stealing from one another or coming to blows, I'm outta there. I know lots of groups take this stuff as par for the course, but it still bugs me.

DrunkonDuty

he/him
High level DnD is leaving me cold. My group is playing an adventure path (Age of Worms) and we've hit 14th level and frankly I'm finding it dull. It takes so long for any character to do anything. Mind you the adventure path is kinda rail-roady too* and I think the combination of sssllllloooowwwww combat and reduced choice is making me want to leave the game. But it's not quite a game breaker yet.

Having the GM tell me what my character does (and my current GM has done this a few times recently) effing infuriates me. If he does it again I will have words with him. They may not be the calm reasonable words I would like.

Oh and put me down against interparty conflict. Hate it. It just seems to be a forum for the players to snark at one another.

Lewdness, toilet humour, puerility: this I'm all for.

* Yes, I know adventure paths are that way inclined.

Dice4Hire

First Post
Things that would definitely lose me as a player:
Ruleless systems
Evil campaigns Unless the party were basically only evil to NPCs
Casual brutality, especially of the gory and graphic sort.
CPA level math skills needed to keep track of everything.

Things that would make me unlikely to play
Games with sex as a major component.
Starting at 1st level
Using core-only.

Dilvias

Explorer
I've been in an evil campaign before. There is absolutely no teamwork and nothing can get done because all the players want to do is do anything they can to be the alpha male and will stop at nothing in putting your character down to subservience to them.

And that is just not fun.

Now I want to play in an evil campaign, just so I can play the Toady.

Yes Massster! Of course, Massster! Please don't hit Toady, Massster!

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I write the following assuming I'm looking at joining a campaign intended to be (or that already is) long-running. Most of the below does not apply to one-offs, con. games and tournaments, playtests, etc.

Dealbreakers that would send me packing on reading the game intro:

- a system other than D+D or a very close variant. See ya.
- may only ever play lawful and-or good characters. See ya.
- must always optimize character to the fullest extent. See ya.
- no character death and-or no chance thereof. See ya.
- no in-party conflict allowed. See ya.
- no in-party romance allowed. See ya.
- no Humans, Elves or Dwarves e.g. all characters must be Tieflings. See ya.
- starting higher than 1st-level unless I'm entering an ongoing campaign where the PCs are already established at higher levels. See ya.

Things that would almost certainly send me packing after a greater or lesser amount of time once the puck was dropped:

- must always be part of or follow the party plan, no deviations. See ya*.
- the story is on a railroad with no forks or deviations allowed. See ya.
- limited or no turnover in players and-or characters in the long run. See ya.
- gaining a level more often than once every few months. See ya.
- playing less than twice a month on an ongoing basis. See ya, if there's another game going that'll have me.
- no depth to the game world, story rushes from combat to combat and adventure to adventure with no detail given in between and limited or no chance to interact with the greater game world. See ya.
- none of either the DM or the other players entertain me. See ya.
- characters who do nothing get the same ExP for something as characters who took the risk. See ya*.
- unfair treasury division by party. See ya*.
- too much thinking (planning, puzzle-solving, divinations), not enough action (exploration, battle, tension). See ya, after attempts to get things moving.
- DM unwilling to or incapable of dealing with a split party. See ya.
- players incapable of divorcing metagame knowledge from character knowledge e.g. the player knows we're fighting a skeleton but the character does not thus the character wouldn't automatically pull out a bludgeoning weapon. See ya*.
- no sense of humour, everyone takes it too seriously. See ya.
- DM rulings that are inconsistent within the game and-or game world or that contradict precedent set by an earlier ruling. See ya*.

* - probably after one or more long loud arguments either in or out of character.

This probably makes it sound like I'm a far pickier player than I really am. But I am chaotic as a player and sometimes evil as well, and this comes through in my characters more often than not. I like to think of myself as an entertaining sod to play with, and I somewhat demand entertainment in return: it's only fair. :) And I expect to be able to laugh at the game, and at myself; I expect characters not only to be allowed to do stupid or gonzo things but to then go out and do 'em. And a sense of whimsy from the DM now and then never hurts either. :)

Lan-"whaddya mean I'm not allowed to attack the gazebo"-efan

Haltherrion

First Post
For a ref I trust I might show more latitude but deal breakers:
  • limited options such as only a handful of classes or 1-2 races allowed, especially if the races are oddball like lizardman or goblins
  • evil campaign unless its clearly of short duration
  • Dark Sun. Cannibal hobbits just seem like a random "how do we make this setting different" idea after too many beers
  • A campaign set in a novel world after the major climax of the novel (like Middle Earth after the War of the Ring and all the interesting folks have left :))
  • Refs who brag about killing PCs or repeatedly stumping the players
  • Overly historical settings. I love settings inspired by certain historical periods but not too keen on Earth history plus magic. For instance The Tremaire series where there are dragons yet the Napoleonic war unfolds with the same nations, leaders and battles rubs me wrong.
  • An established group that doesn't make much attempt to make a new player feel welcome. Makes you wonder if you are just filling out the group and will never feel like a part of it.
  • Refs that overly interfere with my character creation
  • Refs that open the first session with a long list of pet peeves and table rules
Serious pause:
  • Psionics
  • Steampunk if it seems like an ill-considered mismash (like WoW for instance :))
  • Indications that the ref is trying to recreate a favorite novel (beware railroad)
  • Published settings if the referee hasn't invested much time in it
  • Omission of a major element from a tuned game system such as removing healing magic from D&D. Similarly, seriously restricting an element.
  • Asian settings
  • Non-space opera science fiction RPG. "Realistic" science fiction can be dull.
  • Lots of house rules for no apparent reason.
  • Older game versions, mostly because I don't want to reacquire the books or confuse my little head with conflicting rules systems.

Jacob

Explorer
I've been in an evil campaign before. There is absolutely no teamwork and nothing can get done because all the players want to do is do anything they can to be the alpha male and will stop at nothing in putting your character down to subservience to them.

And that is just not fun.
Why I've chosen to nerf my PCs playing as Evil. I used to having the ruling their character would instantly become an NPC if they did anything to make them as such, but I've since become lenient, and simply said they will not be able to start as Evil. Should they become as such, then that's their doom I say.

Evil just brings a lot of negativity to the table. And when your alignment is at constant battle with your fellow players, whom you're trying to have fun with, it just kills it. Which is why I stay away from trifling with other players with in-game scenarios. I play to have fun with players, and not be at odds with them.

Bear this in mind while knowing I would love to try an evil campaign, with more lighthearted play in mind. Don't know if it can be done, or if PCs will play nice with each other, but it's a dream I suppose.

Jon_Dahl

First Post
Games that are ment for GM's ego-masturbation instead of being fun to play.

"I want character backgrounds from everyone, I want character flaws and you have to have certain roles filled in the group. Oh, you came last... You have to be a medic you know. And now let's talk about my campaign world, I have 30+ pages here... Next, I will ask you twenty questions... Ohhh, the session is over for now, see ya next time!"

Aldarc

Legend
There are a series of gamebreakers listed with which I agree, but I have another not listed here. It happened with my very first DM and continues to trouble me.

The DM adds or changes new elements of the game setting in response to something he/she has recently watched/read.

For example, after Fellowship of the Ring was released to theaters, my DM gave elves the ability to walk on snow. And after Two Towers was released, the DM had us fight orcs riding worgs that looked like dire hyenas.

It ruins my immersion in the setting, even if it is their homebrew setting.

Oryan77

Adventurer
Childish, slapstick, and completely silly games. I never know how to respond when a grown adult tells me about a memorable event in their game, and it sounds like the type of thing I would have seen happen in a campaign filled with 12 year olds.

I don't want to disrespect a persons memorable game, but damn, I've heard some retarded stuff.

Remove ads