Gamehackery: Virtual Table Top Solutions

As we get older (and, let's face it, we're all getting older) our lives get more complicated, we move away from the gaming groups we grew up with, and it becomes more and more difficult to play -- especially play with the people we would most like to play with. The natural solution for that is some sort of virtual table top (VTT). Wizards promised one for years, contracted with a...

As we get older (and, let's face it, we're all getting older) our lives get more complicated, we move away from the gaming groups we grew up with, and it becomes more and more difficult to play -- especially play with the people we would most like to play with.

The natural solution for that is some sort of virtual table top (VTT). Wizards promised one for years, contracted with a development firm to build one, and recently pulled the plug. But that VTT solution is still out there, surrounded by a host of others, both simpler and more robust.

No Lack Of Options

So, lets take a look at an incomplete list of some of the major options that are out there.

• Fantasy Grounds -- Probably the biggest name, fee-based service. FG has been around for quite some time, and has a large community behind it.
  • Maptools -- Open source, free, and also supported by a strong community.
  • Open RPG -- Also open source, free, and community driven
  • RPGTableOnline.com
  • Google Plus addons like Roll20
  • more…..

View attachment 56772

Choosing Your Virtual Table

In the end, with so many options out there, choosing your virtual table top is going to be a matter of flavor, individual taste, and the way you and your group like to play. The important considerations depend on some key factors

1. Preparation vs. Improvisation

There's a lot to be said for a solution that has a lot of tools. In Maptools, for example, there are frameworks that build in the mechanics to handle all kinds of game systems -- elaborate character sheet macros that will allow you to build 4th edition powers so you can select a power and roll your attack and damage with a single click -- and even apply that damage to the target.

All of that's great, but it takes a lot of work. It's going to take a fair amount of time to learn to use the tools, but then every monster, NPC, PC, trap, obstacle -- everything you hope the PCs will interact with in the game becomes a piece of content that must be prepared.

The impact of this can be pretty dramatic, even if you don't mean for it to be. If the DM has invested a great deal of time preparing the individual challenges the PCs will face, those challenges become the path the PCs must take -- it's very difficult to ad lib and go off script if the PCs mess with your expectations. It's difficult, for example, to reskin a creature on the fly -- so many small details would have to be edited to change the presentation to the PCs.

There's also a learning curve for players -- they need to learn to use the tools, so early games will be slow. Also, once you're sitting at a computer interface full of buttons and options as a player, it can be difficult to consider options for which you don't have obvious buttons and choices.

2. Integrated mechanics vs. mechanics-free

This is really another point of preparation. Calling for a skill check, for example, can mean a simple matter of a player selecting a skill in a dropdown and clicking a button.

Some of the more free-form VTT solutions out there don't bother with mechanics, though. And the only reason a player couldn't roll dice manually and report the results through the chat is trust.

Actually -- there's a second advantage. Integrated mechanics can make task resolution -- from attacks to skill checks to anything else -- much faster in game play. There aren't a lot of things that VTTs do better than playing face-to-face, but this sort of speed is one of them. An attack macro, for example, can be set up to roll a half-dozen attack rolls and matching damage rolls at once, which can be quickly applied to targets in the area -- making those big fireballs much faster to adjudicate. No more watching your players count out their totals on their fingers and toes -- let the computer do the math.

3. Text chat vs. Voice Chat vs. Video

Most of the VTT options only offer text chat for communicating with other players. Text chat is vital -- it's the right place to communicate a bunch of different information, but very often having a voice or even video chat option can go a long way towards making the virtual table top feel more like the real table top.

Google plus-based VTTs have advantages here -- which may make up for the way they tend to lack the compexity of more robust solutions like Maptools and Fantasy Grounds.

Skype is one of the obvious choices for adding voice chat to a VTT session, but for a lot of reasons it's not the best tool in the drawer. Google hangouts can be used on top of any of the other VTT options to add audio and video chat with a free tool. Or it's possible to get an audiochat client like Ventrillo or Teamspeak and use that for voice chat. I like the Teamspeak-style option because it provides a voice chat space that's always on -- players can join it early, rejoin without trouble if they get cut off, and because the chat is actually being hosted on a teamspeak server somewhere else, it tends to interfere very little with the data flow necessary for your VTT game. BUT the teamspeak option requires dedicated software, some moderately complex setup, and you might have to pay a few bucks to host a server somewhere.

The Bottom Line

In the end, no one can tell you what the best VTT solution is for your game. Games that rely a lot of minis and battle maps and structured interaction may play better in the more complex, robust systems like Maptools and Fantasy Grounds. Theater-of-the-Mind games might do just fine in a simple google hangout. The more you want to make it up as you go, the less you want a tool that plays best with heavy-duty preparation.

So, don't trust anyone that wants to tell you which tool to use -- spend some time trying out the different options. Most of the options have some sort of community around them with which you can find a one-shot game that you can join as a player as an opportunity to try out the rules. Think about what you need, what you're willing to pay money for, and find the solution that's right for your game.

jcayer

Explorer
It certainly has its challenges. We have one player who used to travel more than 50%. His travel has slowed, but a new member of the group has a hard time making it, so he's remote most of the time.

As the GM, I know I have to listen for when he has something to say, and make sure I interrupt the other players so he has his say. But he definitely gets left out from time to time. Even with just about everything on screen, he still misses stuff. Ultimately, it is his choice. He lives about 30-40 minutes from where we play, so it's not like we're three states away.

When his turn is coming up, we often have to highlight the details of what's going on since it is hard from him to get everything. Part of that is the fact we only have one mic that we put in the middle of the room. Soft talkers are hard for him to hear.

We've been playing 5 years and have gone through numerous iterations of remote play and this is the best we've come up with. The only way it has been better is when we use an old star phone I have, but I feel bad locking up the phone line all night, leaving my wife cut off from the outside world.

Nytmare

David Jose
Yeah, that's actually one thing I'd re-rig if I ever had to try doing it again. I'd get a second microphone for the table, and give the remote players some kind of alarm they could sound on my end to get my attention.

jcayer

Explorer
The second microphone causes issues. Because I have a GM laptop and the TV has a different computer, adding a second mic causes all kinds of echoing, etc.

I just got word that my sometimes remote guy, travels for work, is moving to Florida. That means 2 remote players 95% of the time. I may have to figure out a second mic. I wonder if I could split the wire and have both go to one PC.

Radiating Gnome

Adventurer
It's possible that a different microphone might work better.

Since a speakerphone style mic worked for you, maybe that's what you need to look for -- a USB equivalent.

I've used this one in the past, and had good luck:
http://www.amazon.com/Plantronics-C...d=1370023596&sr=8-6&keywords=usb+speakerphone

But there are other, less expensive options that may work well. Take a look at these search results:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=usb+speakerphone

-rg

Duvik

First Post
roll20... /me scoffs... Why pay for what you can get for free with MapTool?

so, I was looking up that old defunct attempt at what roll20 is currently doing aka Ghostorb, after trying out roll20 freemium, and I wanted to put my two cents in as I've been involved in pen and paper gaming using Virtual Gametables for around 8 yrs now. (I tried to pay them with paypal just to check out the subscription version, in order to review it, but they scoffed and told me to get a debit card) no matter... I only pimp free Virtual Game Tables... free gametables that kick arse first and ask questions later

First of all... don't pay for the gametable... pay for the gamemaster, give that man a tip! ... there's so much free content out there and a kickass Virtual Game Table called MapTool is totally free as well... I just finished out testing roll20 and I'm not impressed. Don't get me wrong, the freemium stuff is fair, it only lagged a little... but charging a subscription for more storage and Dynamic Lighting is just BS... MapTool offers the same thing for free (and yes, I've seen it mentioned... I just pimp MapTool whenever I see sheep being led...)

If ya don't believe me, check my credentials at The Tangled Web... I'm Ao over there. thetangledweb.net if yer too lazy to google. That site let's you find tons of players ready to get together to play Dungeons and Dragons using MapTool and OpenRPG/Traipse/OpenCartographer, whatever the hell it is now and they don't charge for the service.

Anyway, just trying to save some of the flock. If you can give me anything that roll20 offers that mapTool doesn't besides being totally browser based, let me know. (MapTool does require scary ol' Java... ooooOOOoooo... Scary...) not

Last edited by a moderator:

Nojo509

First Post
It's possible that a different microphone might work better.

Since a speakerphone style mic worked for you, maybe that's what you need to look for -- a USB equivalent.

I've used this one in the past, and had good luck:
http://www.amazon.com/Plantronics-C...d=1370023596&sr=8-6&keywords=usb+speakerphone

But there are other, less expensive options that may work well. Take a look at these search results:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=usb+speakerphone

-rg

I've moved to a one laptop solution using the Blue Snowball mic and Google hangouts. I'm GMing Ashen Stars in a mixed environment and Trail of Cthulhu all remote. I'm getting in the grove now.

Radiating Gnome

Adventurer
If ya don't believe me, check my credentials at The Tangled Web... I'm Ao over there. thetangledweb.net if yer too lazy to google. That site let's you find tons of players ready to get together to play Dungeons and Dragons using MapTool and OpenRPG/Traipse/OpenCartographer, whatever the hell it is now and they don't charge for the service.

Duvik - I went and followed your link, and it's apparently a dead site.

Anyway -- community makes a big difference for open source projects like MapTools. If you can afford the time for the learning curve, it's a great way to play -- and the choice I use most often.

-rg

jcayer

Explorer
I think you really have to combine both Maptools and Roll20. I use maptools to create the maps, but we use roll20 when we play. With two remote guys, and integration into Google hangouts, we can't lose. It seems that as our group has matured, our style has changed as well. The 1.5+ hour combats are fewer and farther between as we have learned to enjoy the story and RP events more. Hence our requirement for google hangouts.

My group did purchase one of the usb speakerphones. We spent some time on it last session and did not have much luck with it. We haven't given up yet, but were not happy with performance the first time.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads