Gamehackery: Virtual Table Top Solutions

As we get older (and, let's face it, we're all getting older) our lives get more complicated, we move away from the gaming groups we grew up with, and it becomes more and more difficult to play -- especially play with the people we would most like to play with. The natural solution for that is some sort of virtual table top (VTT). Wizards promised one for years, contracted with a...

As we get older (and, let's face it, we're all getting older) our lives get more complicated, we move away from the gaming groups we grew up with, and it becomes more and more difficult to play -- especially play with the people we would most like to play with.

The natural solution for that is some sort of virtual table top (VTT). Wizards promised one for years, contracted with a development firm to build one, and recently pulled the plug. But that VTT solution is still out there, surrounded by a host of others, both simpler and more robust.

No Lack Of Options

So, lets take a look at an incomplete list of some of the major options that are out there.

• Fantasy Grounds -- Probably the biggest name, fee-based service. FG has been around for quite some time, and has a large community behind it.
  • Maptools -- Open source, free, and also supported by a strong community.
  • Open RPG -- Also open source, free, and community driven
  • RPGTableOnline.com
  • Google Plus addons like Roll20
  • more…..

View attachment 56772

Choosing Your Virtual Table

In the end, with so many options out there, choosing your virtual table top is going to be a matter of flavor, individual taste, and the way you and your group like to play. The important considerations depend on some key factors

1. Preparation vs. Improvisation

There's a lot to be said for a solution that has a lot of tools. In Maptools, for example, there are frameworks that build in the mechanics to handle all kinds of game systems -- elaborate character sheet macros that will allow you to build 4th edition powers so you can select a power and roll your attack and damage with a single click -- and even apply that damage to the target.

All of that's great, but it takes a lot of work. It's going to take a fair amount of time to learn to use the tools, but then every monster, NPC, PC, trap, obstacle -- everything you hope the PCs will interact with in the game becomes a piece of content that must be prepared.

The impact of this can be pretty dramatic, even if you don't mean for it to be. If the DM has invested a great deal of time preparing the individual challenges the PCs will face, those challenges become the path the PCs must take -- it's very difficult to ad lib and go off script if the PCs mess with your expectations. It's difficult, for example, to reskin a creature on the fly -- so many small details would have to be edited to change the presentation to the PCs.

There's also a learning curve for players -- they need to learn to use the tools, so early games will be slow. Also, once you're sitting at a computer interface full of buttons and options as a player, it can be difficult to consider options for which you don't have obvious buttons and choices.

2. Integrated mechanics vs. mechanics-free

This is really another point of preparation. Calling for a skill check, for example, can mean a simple matter of a player selecting a skill in a dropdown and clicking a button.

Some of the more free-form VTT solutions out there don't bother with mechanics, though. And the only reason a player couldn't roll dice manually and report the results through the chat is trust.

Actually -- there's a second advantage. Integrated mechanics can make task resolution -- from attacks to skill checks to anything else -- much faster in game play. There aren't a lot of things that VTTs do better than playing face-to-face, but this sort of speed is one of them. An attack macro, for example, can be set up to roll a half-dozen attack rolls and matching damage rolls at once, which can be quickly applied to targets in the area -- making those big fireballs much faster to adjudicate. No more watching your players count out their totals on their fingers and toes -- let the computer do the math.

3. Text chat vs. Voice Chat vs. Video

Most of the VTT options only offer text chat for communicating with other players. Text chat is vital -- it's the right place to communicate a bunch of different information, but very often having a voice or even video chat option can go a long way towards making the virtual table top feel more like the real table top.

Google plus-based VTTs have advantages here -- which may make up for the way they tend to lack the compexity of more robust solutions like Maptools and Fantasy Grounds.

Skype is one of the obvious choices for adding voice chat to a VTT session, but for a lot of reasons it's not the best tool in the drawer. Google hangouts can be used on top of any of the other VTT options to add audio and video chat with a free tool. Or it's possible to get an audiochat client like Ventrillo or Teamspeak and use that for voice chat. I like the Teamspeak-style option because it provides a voice chat space that's always on -- players can join it early, rejoin without trouble if they get cut off, and because the chat is actually being hosted on a teamspeak server somewhere else, it tends to interfere very little with the data flow necessary for your VTT game. BUT the teamspeak option requires dedicated software, some moderately complex setup, and you might have to pay a few bucks to host a server somewhere.

The Bottom Line

In the end, no one can tell you what the best VTT solution is for your game. Games that rely a lot of minis and battle maps and structured interaction may play better in the more complex, robust systems like Maptools and Fantasy Grounds. Theater-of-the-Mind games might do just fine in a simple google hangout. The more you want to make it up as you go, the less you want a tool that plays best with heavy-duty preparation.

So, don't trust anyone that wants to tell you which tool to use -- spend some time trying out the different options. Most of the options have some sort of community around them with which you can find a one-shot game that you can join as a player as an opportunity to try out the rules. Think about what you need, what you're willing to pay money for, and find the solution that's right for your game.

Hussar

Legend
As someone who's spent a lot of hours on VTT gaming, I second pretty much everything that's said here.

There are a bajillion options out there for every element you want. Chat, whether VoIP or text based, die rollers, map clients, whatever. It really is a buyer's market. That being said, it will take a while to find the one you like best. They've all got pros and cons.

One point about Voice Chat vs Text. I honestly find it easier to stay in character in text mode. Maybe it's that you can take that extra second and a half to compose text versus just trying to talk, but, I do find character immersion a bit better when you stick to text. But, OTOH, voice chat is a heck of a lot faster. :D Depends on people's typing speed.

Radiating Gnome

Adventurer
I like to take advantage of macros in Maptools to pre-program some catch phrases and other in-character dialog -- but even just having some stuff your character says frequently in word or notepad handy for a quick cut and paste can speed up the text-based dialo

-rg

Texicles

First Post
roll20 seems to be one to keep an eye on, and it's worth mentioning that it operates independently of Google+ Hangouts.

For such a, relatively, new VTT, the features are impressive, the UI is slick, and the pace of development bodes well for the future. It took me a couple of days of poking and prodding, to suss out what roll20 can do, but that was all it took for me to go from a fan of MapTools to seriously considering a subscription to roll20.

I'm using iTabletop because of its integrated video chat and non-mechanical premise. I basically want a VTT that is exactly that. I don't need it to roll dice for me, or record spell effects, or track my campaign. All I need is a "place" to meet my scattered friends and play as if we were physicaly there. The one thing I would like to see that I haven't seen anywhere is a truly robust set of integrated drag and drop resources, such as monster and NPC tokens that cover an entire SRD or a list of animals and NPC archetypes. I'd also really like generic background maps for when you want "temperate forest" or "cold mountain", or "urban streets." If someone sold a comprehensive set of such resources all together--without too many holes, I'd buy it. That's what would add to my tabletop experience and make it quicker than using an arrangement of minis and drawings on a table, rather than something that requires work out of me to get it useful.

smiteworks

Explorer
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I'd like to share what most of the Fantasy Grounds users prefer. Most users combine a mix of text chat and Skype for voice chat. Within FG, you can prepare boxed text or spoken text and share this easily with the players when it is appropriate, change chat "speakers" to whoever you need to at the moment or have it automatically assign a speaker based on who's turn it is in the combat initiative. I personally find this useful to allow the current NPC to sprinkle in an insult here or there as they attack the players. As others have said, it helps maintain the mood a little better than voice if you aren't in the mood to voice act.

Hussar

Legend
My only beef with Battlegrounds in the licensing. The fact that the DM get's charged double for a license is not fair IMO. Yes, I realize that the DM license has more options, but, you cannot have a game without a DM. So, essentially, the DM is paying double to sell extra licenses to his players. And I do not think that that is fair.

heruca

Explorer
Hmmm. It hardly seems fair to single out Battlegrounds for this licensing model. Have a look at the licensing on the other commercial VTTs in comparison to Battlegrounds. See a pattern?

The vast majority of tech support requests comes from GMs; players hardly ever need it. Tech support requires time, and time equals money. It's only logical that a GM, who will require more of your time, be charged more money (i.e., one doesn't just pay more for the software itself, they pay more for a service). Not to mention that, at least in the case of Battlegrounds, the GM Client software is WAY more full-featured than the Player Client (it can even be used to host & play boardgames, wargames, card games, and dice games).

All that aside, I think you also missed out on the fact that with BRPG, the GM Client actually includes not one but two licenses, since some GMs like to prepare their games on, say, a desktop PC, but run their games on a different computer (say, a laptop).

The only other common licensing for commercial VTTs is to make it subscription-based, and RPGers in particular seem to be pretty dead-set against subscription schemes. SceneGrinder tried it, and Ghost Orb before that. Both quickly went out of business. iTabletop used to be subscription-based, but they (wisely) switched to a one-time fee lest they suffer the same fate. Heck, even WotC took a lot of flack for requiring a subscription to DDI in order to have access to their VTT.

Out of curiosity, does it also bother you that with most RPG systems, the DM's Guide costs more than the Player's Handbook (which is typically half as thick)? Does that seem unfair to you, given that the GM is the one "doing all the hard work"?

Hussar

Legend
Heruca, we've had this conversation before. It is not going to go anywhere.

That other VTT's also gouge the DM's out there is not really the point is it? No, I don't agree with them either.

The fact that you limit your software that if I put the client on one computer, I cannot actually transfer it to more than one other computer is hardly a good thing. What if I want to use three computers?

To me, it's no different than a game producer trying to charge extra money so you can host an online game of whatever that game is.

As far as the DMG costing more, I'd point out two things. 1. The DMG isn't required to play D&D, and hasn't been since at least 3e. 2. The DMG is an entirely different product. You cannot produce the players client without first producing the DM's client. If the PHB was simply a stripped down DMG, then yes, I would have the same problem with it as well. Fortunately, virtually nothing in the DMG is produced in the PHB so, I'm actually getting added value.

The DM's client does not provide any added value IMO.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads