D&D 5E Gamehole Con Live Tweeting Perkins Panel

pemerton

Legend
Because at this point you've equated the natural skin tone(s) of real life darker-skinned people with some kind of mythological curse/punishment for being evil...
I understand the argument that drow are racist. I think the same argument applies to Tolkien's orcs (though as a matter of intellectual history, I think he is drawing upon a certain conception of Turks and other Central Asian peoples rather than black people). Eg, the orcs' "swarthy skin" is one consequence of the inability of Melkor and Sauron to create, as opposed to corrupt.

I was just making the point that the inherent racism of the orcs in Tolkien didn't seem to do much harm to the LotR movies - I mean, you can see discussions of it online (Google "Maori orcs") and I've had conversations with others where we've noted and lamented that the only people of colour to appear in LotR are orcs and other evil servants of Sauron - but I've never heard of anyone picketing or boycotting or otherwise launching a sustained public attack on LotR on this basis.

If racism didn't hurt LotR, why would it hurt a D&D movie?

Last edited:

Mercurius

Legend
Drow aren't inherently a racist idea, although I understand that they could be perceived that way.

My issue with drow is that living underground for thousands of years would make their skin pale, white or grey, not black.

Paraxis

Explorer
This dark elf/drow elf racist thing has been talked to death, they are based on norse myths not from some racist author or game designers ideas.

As far as casting them for movies, google image search "Drow Elf Cosplay" and you will see plenty of people doing an amazing job from a large number of ethnic backgrounds.

pemerton

Legend
I've always thought that OD&D through 4e was something like a spectrum, distinct differences at certain points, but blurry transitions at others. So if you were playing OD&D, that was a relatively smooth transition to AD&D (or alternatively XD&D). But as people were moving out of "exploration/problem solving" and into "story and setting", 2nd Edition focused on that. If you were an OD&D player who used AD&D books, it was too different. But if you were an AD&D player running Dragonlance-style games, it was a smooth transition. And if you were an AD&D player who used 2nd Ed materials, 3e was a huge change, maybe changed too much. But if you had played a lot with the supplemental material (Complete Handbooks, Skills & Powers, etc), the move to 3e wasn't such a big change. And if you were a 2nd Ed player who used 3e books, 4e was this whole other thing. But if you were a 3e player who really got into the nitty-gritty of character generation and interactions with rules, the move to 4e was not much different than going from descending to ascending AC -- same idea, better presentation.
In my case, I hadn't played very much 3E (and no 3.5) but had played a lot of Rolemaster and a fair bit of RuneQuest and related games, as well as 2nd ed AD&D Skills and Powers points buy, and so was familiar with a variety ways of using mechanics to achieve a variety of RPGing goals both in PC building and action resolution.

Coming from that background, 4e seemed (and seems) to me to take the legacy systems of D&D - especially hit points and armour class (which most other classic fantasy RPGs, like RM and RQ, begin by dumping) - and make them consistent, and powerful, and generalised across the game. I also liked its handling of class - another D&D legacy. It makes class the centre of PC build but also connects it even more tightly to stats than the old "prime requisites", and links it to the skill system in a way that brought class archetypes into non-combat resolution.

If you want to use the rules as a physics generator, 4e design sucked. If you saw the rules as abstractions on which to hang your roleplay, 4e was awesomely designed. 4e really had to be wrangled to work for classic dungeoncrawls (and produce the same kind of tension and dread), but it did set-piece battles like no one else.
I agree with all this. But for me, when I started playing 4e (Jan 2009) D&D hadn't been primarily about dungeon crawls for nearly 25 years.

Since Oriental Adventures (1986) my campaigns - be they mechanically D&D or Rolemaster - have focused on personalities, and politics/religion together with history/cosmology, rather than dungeoncrawls. There has been the odd bit of extended underground exploration over the year - including in my 4e game - but the inability of 4e to (easily) replicate White Plume Mountain or Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan hasn't been an issue for me.

When I did run a dungeon crawl, at around 6th level, I was quite happy with how it worked out, but tracking rations and iron spikes wasn't part of it. I merged elements of Night's Dark Terror - burial mounds haunted by undead - with elements of the Sceptre Tower of Spellgard - underground canals, a flooding trap room with a vampire in it, etc - with bits of the online extensions for Thunderspire Labyrinth. And I did get out my graph paper and draw up a map. But the focus was on the action, not the exploration.

Chris Perkins replied to that tweet, saying, "Out of context, this sounds bad. :(" Gamehole Con replied, "Sorry, was clear in the room what you were saying, 140 characters is a bit of context killer." Asked for elaboration of context, Perkins said, "One of my goals is to make sure 5e contains lots of humor. Remember the little b&w comics in the 1e books?"

So rather than be a comment on 3e and 4e themselves, he was talking about a pan-edition phenomenon, something that goes back to 2e, if not late 1e.
The ENworld Front Page had the second Perkins quote too, but didn't make it clear that the two went together so tightly.

Also, I should add that I wasn't meaning to bag Perkins. I don't know much about him other than his advice column on the old WotC website, which made him look like a pretty good GM, and some videos of him GMing (the famous "Darkfire can't target non-creatures" one), in which I don't think he came across quite as well.

I'd be surprised if he dislikes 4e, given he seems to have spent a lot of time and effort GMing it, but you never know - he wouldn't be the first person to hate his job! But even if he did, as apparently Robert J Schwalb does despite having written tons of content for it, that would be his prerogative.

as someone whose favorite edition has generally been ignored, from the outside it's never looked to me like WotC was trashing other editions. I've always thought people imparted far too much malice into such comments, comments that were often intended to be self-deprecating, or in-group criticism.
I agree that too much malice gets imparted. I tend to seem them as a mixture of marketing - which, as a commercial enterprise, WotC is obliged to undertake - that draws upon the sort of in-group criticism you describe. For instance, when Mearls talks about "shouting hands back on", I think of that as a throw-away line. But I also think that it's a throw-away line that is intended to resonate with a certain part of his audience - namely, that part which don't like inspirational healing. That's the marketing aspect.

What can frustrate me a little bit about that sort of remark is because there will always be posters out there who treat it as a reason rather than as a throw-away line. And if someone is going to say that inspirational healing shouldn't be part of the game because "you can't shout a hand back on" - that is, if someone puts it forward as an actual reason in favour of some rules element rather than another - then I find it hard to resist pointing out the obvious, namely that the passage of time can't grow a hand back on either (if you're a human being), and hence that recovery from severed limbs doesn't provide any sort of basis for preferring "passage of time" healing to inspirational healing.

If racism didn't hurt LotR, why would it hurt a D&D movie?

At a guess? Because the orcs don't look remotely human. They're clearly monstrous, clearly bestial. There are many, many features that separate them from humans. People look at them and see monsters, not humans of X skin color.

But elves? Elves look like tall, slender humans with pointed ears. People will look at them and see humans of X skin color. Doesn't matter whether it's from fantasy or mythology, the bulk of the audience won't know in either case. They'll only know what they see.

(Remember the crappy D&D movie? I saw more posts online of people complaining that there was a non-white elf than I've ever seen about racism in movies based on Tolkien. I think said people were foolish, but they were certainly out there. Audiences do notice these things.)

Last edited:

pemerton

Legend
This dark elf/drow elf racist thing has been talked to death, they are based on norse myths not from some racist author or game designers ideas.
The fact that they have mythological origins has little bearing on whether or not they are racist.

There are reasonable opinions either way on whether Wagner's presentation of the dwarves in his Ring Cycle is anti-Semitic, but you don't show that it's not just by pointing out that he is inspired by Norse myth.

Just as one way into the issue: in the Norse myths the dark elves/dwarves aren't per se evil. So why, then, when it comes to Drow is the association drawn between being evil and being turned black?

My issue with drow is that living underground for thousands of years would make their skin pale, white or grey, not black.
I don't really get this at all. Why would principles of evolution that apply to biological organisms on Earth have any bearing on the peoples in a fantasy world, whose character (physical, social and mental) is dictated not by biological forces but by the gods?

Mercurius

Legend
I don't really get this at all. Why would principles of evolution that apply to biological organisms on Earth have any bearing on the peoples in a fantasy world, whose character (physical, social and mental) is dictated not by biological forces but by the gods?

Were they turned black by the gods? I forget. If so, I stand corrected.

Iosue

Legend
This is an interesting perspective and one I think has a lot of truth to it. Where it breaks down is that there doesn't seem to be an equivalent transition from "4.5" to 5E. Essentials to some degree, but not really. Maybe this is where 5E represents a kind of "return to roots," a full cycle complete and, seemingly, the best of the last cycle incorporated in a new octave.

5e certainly does not fit. Frankly, I've been pleasantly surprised at how it's appealed to a wide swath of fans. I hoped it would do so, but tried not to get my expectations up. But then, I think 5e's design parameters were a bit different from previous editions. Previously, a new edition would look at its predecessor, and try to keep the good stuff and fix the bad stuff. 5e seems to have taken the whole of D&D design history (including the D&D/AD&D distinction) into account when it came to "keep good stuff, fix bad stuff".

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
As a black male in America, let me assure you... it will be a white/black thing, especially since the only dark skinned elves are evil (still don't understand why D&D didn't take a page from Earthdawn and give all the races a range of comparable skin tones to humans)... but there's this one whose not like the other evil and decadent people of his race, he's "different" from the rest of the dark skinned elves and he's one of the few good ones out there. I can already see the reaction (regardless of how you try to spin it) to this story... adding black face is just dousing the potential fire with a bucket of highly flameable fuel. IMO, of course.

I doubt that it would be viewed this way. The books weren't viewed in this fashion. I'm pretty sure the white hair and red eyes will make them appear quite different.

Strange viewpoint. Not everything need to be tied to race. It reaches a point of absurdity when everything with dark skin is somehow tied to modern race viewpoints.

pemerton

Legend
At a guess? Because the orcs don't look remotely human. They're clearly monstrous, clearly bestial. There are many, many features that separate them from humans. People look at them and see monsters, not humans of X skin color.
I don't know - I think that the Uruk-Hai are pretty identifiable as Maori.

Remove ads