• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gamer's Limited Knowledge?

JoeGKushner

First Post
I've read too many RPG books. I know this. It's something that makes me a little "bah" towards many books that someone whose not read a lot may think are original and good.

However, it does prove to me that most people who want certain game mechanics arent' really looking for them or don't care about it. It's always a flaw with the game.

This ranges from complaints that combat is too wishy washy and that there are no grim or gritty settings, to that magic items should level with the characters.

Is it just a lack of desire to know more about the game? A lack of funds? A feeling that everything under the sun should be covered in one base book? I can still recall how the Ennies got a lot of blank stares because products were nominated that people didnt' recognize and didn't bother to look up aftewards. Sure, the Ennies could've probably made getting that information easier, but using Google or asking on the Publisher board would've probably been a snap.

Ah well. Holiday rant I suppose.

diaglo

Adventurer
i know from visiting many FLGS.

they just don't have them.

only the top 1 ... maybe 2... and very few... of 3 publishers have stuff at my FLGS.

edit: and not all gamers are on the net as much as us. ;)

Last edited:

Turjan

Explorer
JoeGKushner said:
Is it just a lack of desire to know more about the game? A lack of funds? A feeling that everything under the sun should be covered in one base book?

Don't forget that lots of people want an "official" ruling; for them, the book must have a "Wizards of the Coast" sign on the cover.

I think it really is very complicated and takes a lot of time to stay informed about what is really covered in all the d20 releases. The 'reviews' section of EN World is a big help in this regard. But just think of the case that you want to find a book about magic items that level with the character. Do you go to the 'full publisher list' and wade through all the entries? It's a nearly impossible task for someone who does not follow the daily discussions on this board, and that's a bit hard of a requirement.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Good point Turjan. The review database isn't as friendly as it could be.

But even then, it's rarely a post that asks, "Are there any supplements that providing options for magic items that level up." It's "this is broken in the system because this has never been done." Or similiar attitudes. "How can you say this product is good? I've never heard of it."

And yah, on the official ruling, you're dead on. I've played with several people, and even some whole groups, that if it don't have the WoTC stamp, nevermind the official D&D logo, but the WoTC stamp, it might as well not exist.

KB9JMQ

First Post
Turjan said:
Don't forget that lots of people want an "official" ruling; for them, the book must have a "Wizards of the Coast" sign on the cover.

Not to pick on you Turjan and not trying to hijack this thread but over the years I have gamed with about 80 people and this has never been the case. I see this alot and wonder is it really true or do we just assume it is.?
Ahh, I see JoeG has had it happen to him.

On Topic: I think most people just don't know something exists. I see something here everyday that makes me wonder if I should look into that particular product. I can't imagine what people do whose only source of gaming info is a FGLS (unless they are VERY knowledgeable)

Arnwyn

First Post
JoeGKushner said:
Is it just a lack of desire to know more about the game? A lack of funds? A feeling that everything under the sun should be covered in one base book? I can still recall how the Ennies got a lot of blank stares because products were nominated that people didnt' recognize and didn't bother to look up aftewards. Sure, the Ennies could've probably made getting that information easier, but using Google or asking on the Publisher board would've probably been a snap.
Nope. You'd be wrong on all accounts.

IMO, it's complete marketing incompetence by the publishers tied with the refusal (and failure) of the distributors to make available the books so that people can peruse them and make proper decisions.

"Special Order Sight Unseen Only" sure doesn't cut it.

The_Gneech

Explorer
Actually, I think what they want is for their own preferred mode of play to be the dominant mode of play.

I know MY life would be a lot easier if there was a monthly magazine of Hyborian-age-style adventures, if E-Tools used a skill-based magic system, etc.

They want to re-cast the default assumptions in their own image, and I sympathise with their sentiment, even if I know it's not going to happen.

-The Gneech :cool:

Henry

Autoexreginated
KB9JMQ said:
Not to pick on you Turjan and not trying to hijack this thread but over the years I have gamed with about 80 people and this has never been the case. I see this alot and wonder is it really true or do we just assume it is?

It's not just them. Having spent a bit of time over the years on WotC's forums, I notice more than a few posters who refuse to accept any alternate rules mechanic unless it came from a WotC source; even if the originator was a former popular WotC designer, the fact that they no longer work at WotC makes their work somehow "suspect." There is a perception among a percentage of gamers that WotC's playtesting and quality assurance is superior to all others.

To be fair, it's a common human nature sort of thing. It happens with appliance manufacturers, with brand name groceries, etc. My mother and father worshipped the ground that Sears & Roebuck was founded on for support of appliances. :)

Wraith Form

Explorer
JoeGKushner said:
I've read too many RPG books. I know this. It's something that makes me a little "bah" towards many books that someone whose not read a lot may think are original and good.
I suspect this exactly sums up why I'm not crazy about Eberron, just a little "Meh" about it.

(Reminds me of the Known World boxed sets--Glantri, etc. They--Known World & Eberron--weren't poorly done by any possible stretch, they were just kinda.....bleh. As compared to Dark Sun--when it first hit the community like an atomic bomb--or Darwin's World V2 or Midnight, all which seem to have a je ne sais quas. [Pardon my francais if that was misspelled.])

Last edited:

diaglo

Adventurer
Henry said:
Having spent a bit of time over the years on WotC's forums, I notice more than a few posters who refuse to accept any alternate rules mechanic unless it came from a WotC source

ditto. my home away from home on the net. ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads