Games that you haven't run but want to [+]

I'm working on a 5e Nightmare Creatures campaign, based on the classic Playstation 1 game and set in Victorian London.

But as is usually the case when I prepare a campaign, I get completely lost in my research and world building. I've already got a period accurate map of London, which I'm still refining to include historical landmarks from that era. Meanwhile I'm also writing the plot for the campaign, and I'm cutting it up into chapters and quests.

I want to experiment a bit with a playstyle similar to the wartable in Dragon Age Inquisition. Quests will appear on the map from informants, but there will be more than the players can chase in a day. And neglecting a quest will still move that quest forward. Each quest has a deadline, before it changes. I want to find a proper balance where some quests can expire, without overwhelming my players with tasks. But I also like the idea that some threats can escalate if not dealt with. In that sense it shares some DNA with Xcom, in that the players are always fighting an uphill battle.

I've also bought a new book with 5e rules for a Modern setting. My thanks to those on this forum who recommended Amazing Adventures 5E by Trolllord Games, which is perfect.

GuyBoy

Hero
I'm working on a 5e Nightmare Creatures campaign, based on the classic Playstation 1 game and set in Victorian London.

But as is usually the case when I prepare a campaign, I get completely lost in my research and world building. I've already got a period accurate map of London, which I'm still refining to include historical landmarks from that era. Meanwhile I'm also writing the plot for the campaign, and I'm cutting it up into chapters and quests.

I want to experiment a bit with a playstyle similar to the wartable in Dragon Age Inquisition. Quests will appear on the map from informants, but there will be more than the players can chase in a day. And neglecting a quest will still move that quest forward. Each quest has a deadline, before it changes. I want to find a proper balance where some quests can expire, without overwhelming my players with tasks.

I've also bought a new book with 5e rules for a Modern setting. My thanks to those on this forum who recommended Amazing Adventures 5E by Trolllord Games, which is perfect.
Sounds brilliant.
If there is anything I can do to help, I am a Londoner myself and my family have a long history of being working class Eastenders (aka Cockneys). I grew up in London and my great nan used to tell me stories of the old East End when she was a girl and Jack the Ripper was active. She would tell me the he’d “get me” if I was naughty!
I’m also a historian and, although my speciality areas lie outside UK history, I’m pretty good on Victorian stuff.

Sounds brilliant.
If there is anything I can do to help, I am a Londoner myself and my family have a long history of being working class Eastenders (aka Cockneys). I grew up in London and my great nan used to tell me stories of the old East End when she was a girl and Jack the Ripper was active. She would tell me the he’d “get me” if I was naughty!
I’m also a historian and, although my speciality areas lie outside UK history, I’m pretty good on Victorian stuff.

Well, the story takes place in 1834, which is a long time before Jack the Ripper. So it's the Victorian age, but before some of the later technical revolutions.

As far as I was able to gather, and correct me if I'm wrong, but most of London in 1834 had gaslighting, or no lighting at all. There was a lot of crime, and the police barely had any authority, and didn't even carry a sidearm. The metropolitan police was still in its infancy and very much disliked. Police were regularly brutally murdered or beaten. Guns were outlawed to common citizens, though obviously a criminal could still have a gun. Entire districts were notorious for their poverty and crime. Also, the famous Victorian sewers had not been built yet. Transportation over water was done by water taxi for short distance, or steamer for larger distances. On land you could take a horse and carriage. No telephones or telegraphs yet.

I hope I got all of this right. If I set my campaign in a specific period, then it matters to me to get the details right. For example, in the Nightmare Creatures videogame there IS a sewer, but I don't believe those had been built yet in 1834.

• Fae Dark Ages - War of Seasons idea with Civilization/Christianity being the BBEG
  • A Dracula campaign set in Ravenloft's Transylvania - using ideas sourced from Strahd's modules from the various editions, with characters such a Mercenary, Priest, Outlander/Ranger, Peasant Hero, Knight, Alchemist etc
  • Grimm Fairy Tales
  • Call of Cthulhu

GuyBoy

Hero
Well, the story takes place in 1834, which is a long time before Jack the Ripper. So it's the Victorian age, but before some of the later technical revolutions.

As far as I was able to gather, and correct me if I'm wrong, but most of London in 1834 had gaslighting, or no lighting at all. There was a lot of crime, and the police barely had any authority, and didn't even carry a sidearm. The metropolitan police was still in its infancy and very much disliked. Police were regularly brutally murdered or beaten. Guns were outlawed to common citizens, though obviously a criminal could still have a gun. Entire districts were notorious for their poverty and crime. Also, the famous Victorian sewers had not been built yet. Transportation over water was done by water taxi for short distance, or steamer for larger distances. On land you could take a horse and carriage. No telephones or telegraphs yet.

I hope I got all of this right. If I set my campaign in a specific period, then it matters to me to get the details right. For example, in the Nightmare Creatures videogame there IS a sewer, but I don't believe those had been built yet in 1834.
You’re right on all of this.
The London sewer system mostly dates from after the “Great Stink” of 1858 forced Parliament to act. Joseph Bazalgette, the key builder, would only have been 15 in 1834 when your campaign was set. There were remnants of the old Roman sewer tunnels still operating before then, but mostly it was chamber pots into the various small rivers, all ending up in the Thames.
Most wealthier areas did have piped water though (since the C17th)

The East End has always been tough and lawless, and certainly the newly formed Metropolitan police were hated in the 1830s. One of the reasonings behind Cockney rhyming slang was to act as a kind of thieves’ cant to obfuscate events and plans.

Good luck with the campaign.

GuyBoy

Hero
Incidentally, you’re probably already aware of this but in 1834 the Palace of Westminster ( aka Houses of Parliament) was largely destroyed in a fire. The building you see today is the rebuild.
IRL the fire was probably an accident and took old due to the amount of old paper documents, but could certainly have other causes in a game......

AK81

Explorer
Games I want to run but haven't yet. From the one I want to run the most and down. (This list changes all the time)

1. Dungeon Crawl Classic (DCC)
2. Savage Worlds
3. Mythras/Runequest 6e
4. Superhero 5e (S5E)
5. Level Up (A5E)
6. Cyberpunk 2020/Red
7. Vampire the masquerade (probably V5)
8. Esper Genesis
9. Castles and Crusades (C&C)
10. Old School Essential (OSE)
11. Masks (PbtA)

Honorable mentions that I have only run once but would love to run again: