Games Workshop Gives Staff £5,000 Bonus

While the pandemic has hit many industries hard, the tabletop gaming industry has -- shipping issues aside -- not suffered the way many others have. Nottingham-based Games Workshop is one such company, which says that sales were up 30% year (with Warhammer 40K and the new Cursed City games particularly strong), with pre-tax profits being up 70%. GW has 2,600 employees, including shop...

While the pandemic has hit many industries hard, the tabletop gaming industry has -- shipping issues aside -- not suffered the way many others have. Nottingham-based Games Workshop is one such company, which says that sales were up 30% year (with Warhammer 40K and the new Cursed City games particularly strong), with pre-tax profits being up 70%.

3400.jpg

GW has 2,600 employees, including shop workers, model makers, designers, and support staff, and each of those employees is getting a bonus of £5,000. This comes from a £2.6M profit share (with an extra £10.6M added on top). Senior managers are getting a share of an additional £1.1M pot.

While GW has had to close several of its 523 stores, there are plans to open more in the US, Japan, and China.

Additionally, Games Workshop has given back the financial support it received from the government.

The Guardian has more on the topic.

Hasbro has reported that WotC's revenue from D&D has increased even dramatically over the past year, with the company's net revenues and operating profit increasing by over 100% in Q2 2021.

MGibster

Legend
While the pandemic has hit many industries hard, the tabletop gaming industry has -- shipping issues aside -- not suffered the way many others have. Nottingham-based Games Workshop is one such company, which says that sales were up 30% year (with Warhammer 40K and the new Cursed City games particularly strong), with pre-tax profits being up 70%.
I did my part for their profits. I wasn't able to go out so I just started buying and painting models left and right. And with the numbers of COVID cases in my state increasing it looks like I'll be stuck at home again.

ork.JPG

Retreater

Legend
I did my part for their profits. I wasn't able to go out so I just started buying and painting models left and right. And with the numbers of COVID cases in my state increasing it looks like I'll be stuck at home again.
I've been painting a lot too. I just don't have any hope of playing in-person (Warhammer or D&D) in the foreseeable future. Warhammer, in particular, doesn't have a good way to play the tabletop version online (and yes, I've looked at Tabletop Simulator.)

Von Ether

Legend
What’s “pot?”
And while $5k is great, 1.1Mil is a big jump. The head honchos could have had half a Mil and given the staff more of a bump.
Either way, kudos to GW

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads