WotC Hasbo Praises D&D Revenue Growth

Yenrak

Explorer
An update on D&D from Wall Street.

In the second quarter earnings report, Hasbro called out D&D revenue growth. D&D revenue grew in both analog and digital.

”We take a holistic approach and are pleased with the direction of our digital transformation. For Dungeons & Dragons, which grew in both analog and digital this past quarter, the launch of Dark Alliance did not meet our expectations or that of our players. We'll continue to invest in improving the gameplay in downloadable content. Dark Alliance was a modest investment for us, and we do not anticipate any material effect to Wizards' results,” CEO Brian Goldner said on the analyst call

”We continue to invest robustly in digital. Wizards is on track for another record year. And while much of that growth was front-half loaded, we expect growth in the second half of the year behind the positive third-quarter release slate,” Goldner said.

Here’s a bit from when the CEO was asked about how fast Wizards can grow revenue:
“So starting with D&D and the titles, we are going to have an array of new development in titles. Some come from third parties like, Baldur’s Gate, which has performed quite well, and we'll go wide in the next period, probably in 2022. We have a number of games that we have in development.​

Some will have more modest budgets and some have larger budgets as we continue to invest in digital. While the underlying games in D&D have really grown that Drew, and we're just seeing great play, both in face-to-face role-playing as well as digital role-playing. It's really a new area for us as people are playing more online and really building that brand quite considerably. So, again, we feel very good about the slate that we have coming up and the momentum we have in brands like Magic and Arena.​

And as we said, the launch of Dark Alliance was really about listening to the players, giving them more of what they want, more downloadable content, more satisfactory, more immersive gameplay. And look, that's part of the process. And we're fully prepared to continue to invest behind the games. As we think about consumer products, clearly, for the year-to-date period, if you look at the industry data, it was up double digits.​
And on the upcoming live-action film and the future of Wizards:
In addition to that, Dungeons & Dragons has its live-action film in production. Currently, the team is doing a tremendous job in delivering that film. That will be for first-quarter 2023, and I've already seen a plan along with the team for consumer products and licensing were out to our global retailers and their entertainment councils. And it's really the shape of things to come as we activate more Hasbro IP and begin to take them into content, stand them up with great storytelling, and begin to activate them across the flywheel and the blueprint.

Then, of course, you're seeing Wizards really in the early stages of unlocking the opportunity there as we begin to achieve that doubling of the size of the business and start to set some new objectives and targets for that brand -- those brands and that business as we go forward. So, overall, this is a very good and important time for us. As we've said, we would return to growth. And it helps us to be as confident as we are in our full-year goals and objectives as well as our medium-range guidance that we provided.
54978063-7397-4043-BB32-2E53D8182EFC.jpeg

0836C0AD-F67F-45F9-94C9-EC5118A432B6.jpeg

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
These have all said "record growth over last quarter/year etc." in every interview, earnings report, and chart since 2014 or so.

It's super awesome, and I'm really glad that the hobby is growing so fast and so constantly.

That said, it does make these semi-regular industry newsbites a bit samey!

Dausuul

Legend
For anyone who, like me, was wondering what the hell flywheels have to do with D&D, I found this link. Basically, "flywheel" refers to a positive feedback loop of business activity, where investments in any part of the cycle drive growth of the whole. (One of the examples: An appliance company sells maintenance contracts, which builds goodwill and establishes a relationship with the customer, which makes it easier to sell them a new machine down the line.)

I guess the videogame of the Dark Alliance has been to get enough experencie.

I am happy if Hasbro is making a lot of money with D&D because I love this franchise and I wish a great future. Some times I think TTRPGs are becoming popular because fandom is discovering these can offer something the videogames can't, as creative freedom for your fanfic.

We can't foget Hasbro's main strategy for D&D is the digital market, the videogames, but these need a lot of time and work.

Let's remember Michael Bay's Transformers movies helped to the resurrection of the franchise. We should notice the importance of the action-live movie and teleserie to promote the IP even when the movie wasn't a total smash-hit. But I feel curiosity about the five-years Hasbro-Paramount partnership-deal. When this ended (in 2023?) or it is renewed or Hasbro will choose other producer, maybe Disney, but Netflix and Warner are also possible options.

These have all said "record growth over last quarter/year etc." in every interview, earnings report, and chart since 2014 or so.

It's super awesome, and I'm really glad that the hobby is growing so fast and so constantly.

That said, it does make these semi-regular industry newsbites a bit samey!
They need an announcement of the announcement of sameness in order to pique your interest

Dausuul

Legend
We can't forget Hasbro's main strategy for D&D is the digital market, the videogames...
I keep seeing this claim pop up in the forums. Is there some basis--a statement from Wizards or Hasbro or Crawford or somebody--for believing this to be the case?

It seems like a very weird strategy, given the success of tabletop 5E (and the previous failure of 4E, which was explicitly designed per Ryan Dancey to be a launch point for digital offerings). Based on what we've seen thus far, it looks as if their strategy is to generate spinoffs of all kinds from the tabletop game--TV shows, movies, Magic sets, novels, video games--and see what sticks. Video games are just one piece of that. But maybe there was an announcement that I missed?

I keep seeing this claim pop up in the forums. Is there some basis--a statement from Wizards or Hasbro or Crawford or somebody--for believing this to be the case?
It's Luis' oftrepeated dream, not a statement of intent. If there was an intent for D&D to transition away from the table-top game that would be part of the statements at the investors calls.

darjr

I crit!
With 5e the plan was to follow the Marvell business plan. The RPG was to be the source of stories and the money was to be from movies/computer games/licenses.

It’s still the plan mostly just with the added icing of the RPG also being a huge success, and a money maker (I think, I actually have no real proof if the RPG itself makes them money but I suspect it does)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Yes. Very specifically that. I’ve reported on it. Don’t have it to hand though. It was within the last couple of months, I think.

(I think, I actually have no real proof if the RPG itself makes them money but I suspect it does)
There last two quarterly calls show that the RPG made over 100 million in 2020.

The movie biz lost tens millions, even after selling off the music assets. The movie biz also includes all branded movies/tv shows/streaming elements, not just D&D

Level Up!

An Advertisement

Advertisement4