WotC Hasbo Praises D&D Revenue Growth

I guess Hasbro wants to create a "metaverse", something like Roblox, Minecraft of Fortnite: Creative Mode. The adventage is to can launch different online videogames, and if one doesn't work, doesn't sell enough, all the cosmetic elements or DLC could be reused in other title from the same metaverse.

Other doubt is if partnership should be only with one company or with differents. For example one with Paramount, other with Disney, other with Warner...

Parmandur

Book-Friend
That would be what I was looking for, thank you! (Specifically this article; the president of Wizards saying "We see video games as core to the future of D&D" is fairly conclusive.)

All I can say is... I sure hope the tabletop D&D business does not end up depending on WotC's success in the video game market. That is a hyper-competitive space, and technology has always been a glaring weakness for Wizards.
I've been playing a lot of Magic Arena lately, an internal WotC product: history isn't destiny, and the current WotC CEO has tech credentials as well as gamer street cred. Times are achangin'.

Dausuul

Legend
I've been playing a lot of Magic Arena lately, an internal WotC product: history isn't destiny, and the current WotC CEO has tech credentials as well as gamer street cred. Times are achangin'.
On the other hand: Dark Alliances.

Arena is a hopeful sign, but it's one outlier in an otherwise drearily consistent series.

We shouldn't forget there are also working other videogames. I guess one of them will be based in Dragonlance, and others in Ravenloft and Dark Sun. I supossed after the launching of Dark Alliance would say something about the next title, but this is yet unknown.

Northern Phoenix

Adventurer
It's always great to hear of the hobbies continued growth in the, well, whatever year it is of this new golden age. While i don't doubt that they're very interested in pumping out video games and other such spin-off products, i also think that, based on the general industry trends and their work with Magic, that WOTC now see that they need to get into the virtual table-top and digital TTRPG space.

Remove ads