Games you thought you'd like and hated and games you thought you'd hate and liked

Mkhaiwati

First Post
oooh, I forgot a good one. I really had high hopes for this after reading the books, and the fluff and concepts were great. The game system, however, fell flat on its face. Combat and character creation was a disaster. The game: Living Steel!

It was also a headache for GMs, as the players got to make grand decisions on saving a world, like, we want to grow food for the refugees so they stop eating each other, what resources do we need and where do we get them? And the obliging gm needs to come up with said lists and locations for the players. (The game is set on a post-invasion world where the group needs to save civilization and gather refugees. It is a very well thought out gameworld, but very complex for what the pcs need to do.)

GammaPaladin

First Post
(Psi)SeveredHead said:
We had more than 30 dice. It actually wasn't enough. My character could attack five times per round (each time using 10 dice on the first roll, nine on the second, etc). We didn't have nearly 50 dice we would have no choice but to re-roll. We also used a cardboard box to roll all the dice in (so they wouldn't fall off the table). If that wasn't my first character I wouldn't have played a "Fast Hero".

We would need special dice (ones that colored 6 or 7 - whatever the target number was, plus another color for 10s) differently from the other sides to make it easier. Trying to count out the higher numbers among 30 dice is quite difficult.
Yeah, that's why I said a rolling program is actually ideal... Just figure out how many dice you need to roll, tell it that number, and it will tell you if you succeed, and by how much. No need to count.

Gundark

Explorer
Fallen Seraph said:
I personally prefer point-systems since for me it creates more realized and less one-dimensional characters. I can put things into what would view as counter-intuitive or create character types that have wide-ranging interests, but no specialization.

I don't have boatloads of xp with point buy systems. This is the thing that bugs me about point buy, everyone seems to end up being alike. The last one we played you could have everyone switch character sheets and there wasn't much change. The "Jack of all trades, master of none" mentality seems to be encouraged.

Good thing for you it sounds like, annoyance for me. Different strokes.

sckeener

First Post
Systems I thought I'd love

GURPS - joining the bandwagon. I have had two GMs take a stab at GURPS, one didn't know the rules for combat and the other got bogged down in them whenever combat happened. I love the fluff though...

Ars Magica - unless you are going to play online, good luck finding a troupe. I love the various versions, the fluff and the rules. I just hate that I've only gotten to play 3 games in 12 years.

ShadowRun - I have actually enjoyed the fluff parts, but I hate all the dice...the endless rolling of dice.

Mage/Werewolf: I bought it expecting to incorporate them into my WoD....I removed them instead. Mage is just silly and the fluff for Werewolf ruins werewolves for me.

Black company/Thieves World: Like the setting/fluff...hate the system!

Systems I thought I'd dislike

palladium fantasy - it seemed like a cheesy D&D rip off...but the play was sweet.

Changeling: playing a faerie? But it was fun. The system is good and it was nice to swtich to after a Vampire campaign...toggling between the two to get different looks at the WoD

HOL: it was a one-shot and I don't like new systems that are one shots...but oh what a system! Butterygoodness indeed!

Fallen Seraph

First Post
Mhmm, Changeling so much fun... So much deliciously evil fun.

It is in a way the most creepy setting in that generally it is up to the players to figure out just in what way they were tortured, abused, humiliated, mentally shattered while in Arcadia to form them into the Changeling they now are. Then to have the True Fae that did this too them to be hunting them down, really creepy.

Remove ads