Gaming At The Kid's Table: Mouse Tails

Here at EN World, I’m continuing to look at all-ages tabletop role-playing games, board games, and card games. Do they engage the players at the kids’ gaming table? Would they cut it at the adults’ table? Are they genuinely fun for every age? Mouse Tails: Rodent Playing Game is an all-ages RPG by David Bezio’s Grey Area Games. In it you play a mouse, a straight up four paws with a tail and a low position in the food chain rodent. As a role-player, that’s a win. You want to role-play, play something that is not human in any way. To support the role, Mouse Tails contains character generation, PC, and GM rules as well as a mouse character sheet all for the price of Pay What You Want.

The writing. Kids movies tend to have a dusting of pop culture references to keep the adults from nodding off. Mouse Tails has a pinch of that style but replace the word “adults” with “gamers”. David Bezio laced enough winks to players that I’d be remiss in not pointing out a few.

• Mouse Tails is a RPG, a Rodent Playing Game
  • The Game Master (GM) is called the Mouse Master (MM)
  • The Player Characters (PCs) are dubbed Mouse Characters (MCs)
  • The first letter of each stat – Muscle, Outwit, Unnoticed, Skitter, Energy – spells out MOUSE

The rules. MCs rank their five stats from six (worst) to two (best). The game uses a d6 to resolve any stat-based challenges. Ability rolls require achieving at least your ability score or higher to succeed. As well, there are five luck points that grant automatic successes on an ability check.

Getting hurt. This is the point where the “all-ages” label drops off. If your MM rules that your MC might get hurt, you roll against your Energy stat. If you fail that ability check then you roll to see if your mouse character becomes incapacitated or dies. Letting a child’s mouse character die might ruin game night for the kids. Forever.

Does Mouse Tails win the kids’ table? If you follow the rules as written, a few poor rolls could lead to a child’s mouse character dying. Do you foresee tears at the kids’ table? Tears are not a win. If you remove the option to kill the MCs, then this game has real potential at the kids’ table. The younger kids playing cute mice, the older kids playing homebrewed rats, it’ll make for a happy table and introduction to RPGs.

Would Mouse Tails work at the adults’ table? Yes. The rules as written make this a challenging game. I can see a 5e or Pathfinder adventure where the GM polymorphs the entire party into mice. Using these rules, the party has to figure out how to restore themselves. This all-ages game downloads ready to be played by experienced gamers and, with a few tweaks to the rules, has the potential to be a well-loved all-ages game.

Egg Embry

Egg Embry

It sounds nice. I once threatened to make my players all mice just so we could play Mouseguard. I'm having flashbacks of dirty looks. lol

LordNightwinter -
You would not have gotten any dirty looks from me at the suggestion of jumping to Mouse Guard! That would be awesome! I'm a fan of the comic and would really like to find a game of that to join! ;)

Egg Embry, Wanna-lancer
Check out EN World Gaming at the Kids’ Table posts to read reviews of The FirstFable RPG and Monster Slayers

Mavkatzer

Explorer
I've wanted to run an animal based RPG for years. I've seen a few out there, but I've not yet spoken with anyone who's actually played one.
Have any of you ever played an animal RPG? How did it really go? Was it replayable, or just a fun unique experience?

I've wanted to run an animal based RPG for years. I've seen a few out there, but I've not yet spoken with anyone who's actually played one.
Have any of you ever played an animal RPG? How did it really go? Was it replayable, or just a fun unique experience?

Mavkatzer -
This is probably not the most worthwhile answer, but... with adults, I've played RPGs (D&D) where some of the PCs morphed into animals for an extended period (several sessions). It's likely my table at the time, but that descended into silly quickly... though, everything eventually went silly with that group... ah, good times! :)

That said, I'd be interested in doing an animal-only RPG, for sure.

Egg Embry, Wanna-lancer
Check out EN World Gaming at the Kids’ Table posts to read reviews of The FirstFable RPG and Monster Slayers

From Google+, Mouse Tails creator David Bezio shared the following. Reprinted with permission.

"I saw that, this morning, thanks :). I think you summed it up pretty good...and you aren't the first to "criticize" the killing mice characters, ha ha. Easy enough fix for anyone who plays it.

It's funny that you chose to review that game right now...because I've been searching the internet trying to find out who is "talking" about it (which is why I saw the review you did right away). Mouse Tails has been downloaded about 100 times in the years since I put it up, and all of a sudden, last week it doubled :O. I've been looking for a review or forum discussion all week but have come up dry. I can only assume it is in another country (most of the downloads have been during my nighttime hours). Curious as hell what was said to inspire that many people to check it out.

Any way, thanks again for the review, and glad you enjoyed the game yourself. It was just a fun thing I did for myself and decided to share, but I think there are a few good ideas in there.

-Dave"

Egg Embry, Wanna-lancer

Egg...

At what point does a Wanna-Lancer become an Actual-Lancer? Nice review. And it seems your rackin' up the creds!

J.L. Duncan -
There is a much-studied progression from wanna-lancer to actual-lancer. As Boromir stated, "One does not simply [become a freelancer]." The progress starts as fan, moves to armchair game designer, and either deviates to internet troll or to a wanna-lancer. Following the wanna-lancer wing, you strive to reach hobbylancer status (Ben McFarland has spoken about hobbylancing) before graduating to be a freelancer and a life of leisure.

Oh, and conquering the world is in there somewhere... :p

Egg Embry, Wanna-lancer

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases