(+) Gaming in historical settings and dealing with values of the era

In historical setting, when values are different from our own

• I expect the players to adhere to it and actively engage in the behavior of the period

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • I expect the players to adhere to it "superficially" and try to keep it in the background

Votes: 30 41.1%
  • I expect the players to ignore it and kill things and take their stuff anyway

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • I make possible for the players to fight it and stand up for their values

Votes: 44 60.3%
  • I will integrate these values in the campaign as part of the narrative

Votes: 28 38.4%
  • I will have PCs face social consequences when they deviate from era behaviour in public

Votes: 32 43.8%
  • I will try to keep it in the background even when NPCs are concerned

Votes: 13 17.8%
  • I will ignore it totally

Votes: 16 21.9%

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Part of the fun of a historical campaign is playing someone you’re not even if not morally upstanding by today’s standards, and even if operating in an environment that is dark and brutish. Players don’t need to play complete bastards, but I want them to honestly interact with the environment, warts and all.

TheSword

Legend
I have no problem with a person playing a character whose nation has been at war/betrayed/passed over by or with another nation. With all the prejudice, distrust and dislike this brings with it.

I also have no problem with a PC playing the character that ignores that past and forms a strong relationship with the traditional enemy. Championing the idea that barriers can be mended and they can be the hope of a nation. I just don’t expect it.

I don’t believe there is an immoral or moral way to play a character in this respect. It just comes down to personal choice and what a person thinks would make an interesting story.

When I run in a historical setting, I set the expectations clearly. For example:

This game will be set in 18th century London, and characters are expected to behave as people of that time did, with the exception of racism, misogyny and gender preference biases. Those biases and behaviors exist and this is not an alternative reality where they did not, but as a GM they will not be featured, and characters should not act in ways that support these behaviors.

I am aware that this is sweeping the issue under the rug; I understand that it can be seen as erasing historical injustices. In theater and in writing, I encourage and support the exploration and highlighting of these important topics, but my experience has been that it is extremely rare for a roleplaying group to do a good job of doing so. I'm open to others doing so, but I don't feel I personally can do a good enough job.

Remember as well that values may not be as easily thought of "x is okay now, but was bad in the past" etc. Human progress along ethical and value lines has not been linear in the slightest. This is why LGBTQIA+ people have to continue to fight for their rights; not only in places where those rights are not granted or allowed, but also to ensure there is no rollback, as has happened in the past.

My approach to be, if, say, I were to do Celtic or early Ireland, would be:

• to investigate the general moral differences between now and then
  • decide what would simply be too awful or too stupid to actually play around with, and use something actually moral and sane
  • then investigate and think about the differences, particularly around culture, that might be interesting to explore
  • then I would consider whether that would be interesting for the players to interact with in their character, and also to react with to NPCs

MGibster

Legend
I'll start off by saying that you don't bring anything to the table that makes the game uncomfortable or not fun for the players. And try not to disallow character concepts in the name of preserving historical "accuracy." You will often be surprised at just how much certain marginalized people were able to accomplish despite having the deck stacked against them.

I don't run a lot of historical games (Deadlands is not a historical game), but the one I do run most frequently would be Call of Cthulhu set in the United States during the 1920s and 1930s. And in case you're unware, this era is widely considered the nadir of race relations in the US. I wouldn't feel comfortable running a campaign set during the era where I completely ignored the rampant racism, sexism, homophobia, etc., etc. But at the same time I wouldn't have player characters constantly having to deal with those kinds of issues every day.

I ran a Trail of Cthulhu game set in New York during the 1930s. As part of their investigation, the PCs tracked down the person who contacted the police about a missing women he found on the grounds of the construction job he was working. This worker was a black man, and during the course of their interview they asked him why he fled the scene before authorities arrived. He answered, "I'm from Georgia originally. And where I'm from, a Negro found in the vicinity of a nude white woman is not long for this world." I liked this scene because it established a few things: It made it clear to the PCs that the 1930s were not the same as 2016. And that this construction worker was a good man willing to risk his own well being to help a stranger in distress (he fled the scene but he made sure the missing women got the help she needed first).

There are some things I won't do. I typically won't use racial slurs, in part, because it makes me uncomfortable and I'm sure nobody else at the table wants to hear them. It may be realistic, but it most decidedly would not be fun for anyone of us. I might have the PCs run up against someone who is racist or sexist, but not all the time and I won't allow it to get in the way of their character participating in the game.

Ixal

Hero
Its kinda impossible to run a historic (and not just history inspired) game and apply modern values to it. Can't have a campaign in ancient Rome without slavery.
Sure, the PCs can all be oddball abolitionist in an era where there was hardly any support for that, but in the end that becomes the central plot point no matter what you planned because the PCs simply stick out.

Like with any other campaign I expect some buy-in from the players, and for historic games that includes historic morality.

MGibster

Legend
Its kinda impossible to run a historic (and not just history inspired) game and apply modern values to it. Can't have a campaign in ancient Rome without slavery.
Hell, you could have a character talk about how great it is being a free man, the lengths to which he would go to remain free, while owning, or at least the state owning, slaves. Congratulations, you're a Spartan. People are interesting.

Sure, the PCs can all be oddball abolitionist in an era where there was hardly any support for that, but in the end that becomes the central plot point no matter what you planned because the PCs simply stick out.

Like with any other campaign I expect some buy-in from the players, and for historic games that includes historic morality.
I think it's valid for players to talk about modern values.

How much the characters apply those values in game? Your groups' mileage will vary depending on what you all agree to.

Remove ads