Gaming Table Prototype

Well, after several hours of basic design work and lots of nearly crushed and drilled digits, my prototype tabletop accessory is done. There's a lot of work to be done yet, but this is Trial Run 1.

An overview photograph of the finished product (with minis and a Steel Sqwire flip mat).

attachment.php

Another overview, opposite angle; with onlookers.

attachment.php

Lifting up the plexiglass for fun and profit. There's still a bit of plexifiber stuck to it, but that's priority two to remove.

attachment.php

A side view, with a partial reference stack of books. The tabletop add-on sits about 8 1/2" off the top of the table.

attachment.php

A different side view, again with some books for height reference.

attachment.php

Finally, an actual height reference, with a big ole' stack of books.

attachment.php

Well, I hope you've enjoyed this cursory look at my new gaming setup thingie. There's a better one in the design stages right now, so look for this to be for sale in the Greater Cincinnati Area soon; maybe.

All the images are uploaded to my photobucket page (http://s151.photobucket.com/albums/s123/toritaka/), so check 'em out there, too.

Any questions? Comments? Observations? Ridicule?

-TRRW

Attachments

• Lengthwise.JPG
    Lengthwise.JPG
    304.2 KB · Views: 347
  • Overview.JPG
    Overview.JPG
    278.5 KB · Views: 381
  • Overview 2.JPG
    Overview 2.JPG
    264.4 KB · Views: 346
  • Plexiglass Lift.JPG
    Plexiglass Lift.JPG
    234.4 KB · Views: 329
  • Reference.JPG
    Reference.JPG
    279.6 KB · Views: 347
  • Side View 1.JPG
    Side View 1.JPG
    264.4 KB · Views: 361

Lhorgrim

Explorer
Looks great! :)

I would suggest rounding the corners of the table a bit. I had a similar (but smaller) design at my old house, and people often caught their arms on the sharp plywood corners when reaching for the map surface.

That's step two at this point; beveling the edges and rounding the corners. Then come the drink holders and drawers.

The next build is going to be a full sized gaming rig, complete with adjoining DM's desk.

-TRRW

More images of the progress. Today's project: Adding lights to the underside of the table.

First, the DM's area with a clip light that can alternate between lighting up a DM's Screen and lighting up the battlemap area.

attachment.php

Next, a look at what each player will be looking at from their seat.

attachment.php

Here we have a closeup of one of the player station thingies. Character sheets are readable even when the non-under-the-table lights in the room are off. This allows for the DM to use whatever mood lighting they wish, while still allowing the players to read their character sheets; perfect for your weekly Call of Cthulhu or White Wolf game.

attachment.php

Here's a basic shot of the underside lights. I promise I'll clean up the cords for later.

attachment.php

Well, that's today's progress. Still working on cupholders and such. Drawers are kind of an annoyance, so they're being left to the wayside. Sorry drawers.

-TRRW

Attachments

• Visibility.JPG
    Visibility.JPG
    195.1 KB · Views: 262
  • Underside Lights.JPG
    Underside Lights.JPG
    252 KB · Views: 255
  • Player Stations.JPG
    Player Stations.JPG
    241.5 KB · Views: 252
  • DM Screen.JPG
    DM Screen.JPG
    274.1 KB · Views: 252

MonkeyDragon

Explorer
Nifty-cool so far. I would like to see a picture with a player at a station. With the play surface above the table, how easy is it to see?

This looks like a very simple and elegant setup. a friend will be setting up his gaming area soon. I'm pointing him to this thread.

Corsair

First Post
Remember to include a designated die-rolling area so you won't have those buggers bouncing everywhere. Nice work on the lights. I assume you're going to tack those wires up eventually so the players won't be messing with your extension cords by accident?

The dice roll very well on the plexiglass surface; that is, they roll for about half a second, then stop dead. Yeah, I forgot that I didn't have any of those big metal staples to hang the wires up better; that's for tomorrow I guess.

Attached are a couple of pictures of me, sitting at a player station. I'm a bit short (5'6"), but this is about how high the table is for most people. I have an alternate set of legs I can use for the table if it turns out to be too high.

First off, the MySpace classic.
attachment.php

Hmm... how do I kill the everything?
attachment.php

-TRRW

Attachments

• Diagram 001.jpg
    Diagram 001.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 186
  • Diagram 002.jpg
    Diagram 002.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 188