• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gamma World: return of 3d6 in order (almost)

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Not exactly.

You get a score of 18 in the primary ability of your first origin, and a score of 16 in the primary ability of your second origin. If the primary abilities are identical for both origins, then you instead get a 20 for that ability score! For the rest of the unassigned ability scores, roll three six-sided dice (3d6) and record the result for each.

Zaran

Adventurer
Does anyone else just hate this whole concept? Booster Pack powers, random PC creation, et al. I never really thought of Gamma World as a sci fi comedy. I definately don't think they should be mixing up CCGs and RPGs like that.

I remember the guy in power armor riding the mutant cyborg cat and thought that was pretty dang cool. I remember seeing the map of America and how the coastline had risen and there were lots of radiated areas and how all the cities had slang names . I do remember a few kooky monsters but they could be easily ignored. I suppose I can ignore the zanyness in this edition as well but I will not even try because of the booster deck system.

If they try to do with that DnD expect fire bombings and riots.

Tony Vargas

Legend
From his description of the cover, he was playing 3rd Ed GW, and, yes, it used random ability generation - 4d6 drop the lowest, arange as desired, modified by character type (PSH, various mutants) for some stats - and random mutations.

BTW, while I was looking at on-line images of old GW covers trying to job my memmory, I stumbled accross Gammarauders - IIRC, a mutant/robot arena combat game. The new GW might be as much a 2nd Ed Gammarauders as a 7th ed of Gamma World... ;)

Last edited:

LostSoul

Adventurer
Looks pretty amusing. I'm curious as to whether it will fly, though, but it sounds like fun.

I think it will. I use 3d6 in my current 4E game - straight down the line, raise any roll less than 8 to 8. Then you replace one stat with a 16.

I had a PC end up with his highest roll as a 9, yet his character was still effective. Their method is more generous.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads