• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gandalf - Patient Zero of Bad DMPC Epidemic?

Hammerhead

Explorer
mmadsen said:
Most real-life adventurers are concerned with "petty" things like food, shelter, and equipment. I'd hardly say Tolkien was obsessed with such things, compared to real-life adventurers recounting their tales.

Most real-life adventurers aren't concerned with orcs, dragons, or carting out 300,000 gold pieces from the Pits of Infinite Despair (or just destroying the plot device, in the case of Tolkien).

Sunderstone

First Post
Numion said:
Hi,

What do you think? Is Gandalf the stereotypical bad DMPC, an annoyance to boot?

I think you are probably playing or focusing way too much on D&D in general. It sounds like you arent enjoying the book.

If you cant enjoy a book without thinking a character is so bad because of what he would be at the gaming table, take a break from reading or gaming for abit.

I look at Gandalf as being Gandalf. A sheperd of sorts for the rest of the fellowship. There has to be someone of power for the most powerful foes that the companions face. Sending Bilbo and Strider up against an elder evil with mudane weapons probably wouldnt have ended well when you think about it. So Gandalf was quick to anger, Frodo was happy most of the time, etc. etc. Its the personalities that meshed well.

Sorry in advance if Im off base with the intent of the post. Its early here.

Numion

First Post
jensun said:
Reading your comments I have to question this.

Then question it, but don't threadcrap with generic innuendo. What specific things I have posted are unsupported by the book? Start, for example, with Gandalfs qualities.

Is he not rude, more powerful than others in his group, hogging xp, has the best items (sans one ring), won't stay dead .. etc etc ?

Squire James

First Post
I think most people here is pretty aware that Lord of the Rings is a fantasy novel, and obviously has little to do with a D&D game. It's kinda fun talking about the books as if they did, though. Of course, one could also interpret Lord of the Rings as a typical Ars Magica game. There, it is not so unusual for the Wizard to possess more power than the rest of the party combined!

mmadsen

First Post
Hammerhead said:
Most real-life adventurers aren't concerned with orcs, dragons, or carting out 300,000 gold pieces from the Pits of Infinite Despair.
Instead, they're concerned with killing savages led by evil priests, and then carting out tons of gold from the pyramid city built on a lake in an extinct volcano.

Shayuri

First Post
Without getting into a discussion of Gandalf's level...which has a lot more to do with how much of Tolkien's writing one is using to make the judgement than anything else...I will point out that Gandalf's immunity to fire is because of his Ring. He even says it straight out, 'I am a servant of the secret fire, bearer of the flame of Arnor! The dark fire will not avail you, Flame of Udun!'

That's Gandalf-ese for, "I have one of the elf-rings of Power, beeyotch! You can't burn me!"

So no need for Resist Energy. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads