Gary Larson is creating more "Far Side" Comics!!!!

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist

Maybe 2020 isn't all bad? Just almost all bad?

In 1995, Gary Larson did something almost no one else has ever done; he retired at the top of his game. The Far Side was a world-wide phenomenon, and rightfully so.

And since then ... practically crickets. But HE'S BACK! YAY!

Look, I know this is like almost all other consummations devloutly to be wished- it's not be going to be everything I was hoping (yes, I'm thinking about everything from the Pixies reunion to the new episodes of Arrested Devlopment).

....but still.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Now let's just hope that Bill Waterson decides to write more Calvin & Hobbes.

It is kind of weird, isn't it, that the two best, smartest, and greatest cartoonists of the era bookended 1995 by ending their comics.

....and yet Dilbert lives on in some sort of Garfield-like perpetual state of zombified animation.

Now let's just hope that Bill Waterson decides to write more Calvin & Hobbes.
In some ways, I hope Waterson doesn't come back.

He's basically become the JD Salinger of the comics industry, he's become famously reclusive, very rarely gives interviews, and what few he's given have made it clear he's pretty grumpy and a little bitter about the world.

I absolutely loved Calvin and Hobbes. . .but I can't see him ever coming out of his self-imposed exile to pick up that mantle again, and I wonder what the last 25 years would have done to him. It's hard for me to imagine him coming back in any way that didn't reduce his legacy.

Berkeley Breathed has done great coming back to revive Bloom County, at least as an occasional webcomic, and it seems Gary Larson's doing the same (at least a limited, irregular web revival). . .but unless Waterson's had a huge change of heart in the last few years, I can't see him doing it, or if he did, I can't see it having the same spirit as the original.

Dioltach

Legend
So, what's everyone's favourite Far Side? Mine has to be "Suddenly, Bobby felt very alone in the world." Or maybe "I thought I could, I thought I could."

(Well, there's also the guilty-looking snake in the crib, but even Gary Larson implies that one's a bit too much.)

Nebulous

Legend
I always liked this one:

xunPinl.jpg

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
It's hard for me to imagine him coming back in any way that didn't reduce his legacy.

So... that is part of the reason he doesn't come back. Everyone has such flipping high expectations, that there's nothing he can do that is apt to satisfy them. The public is often... unforgiving.

Remove ads