Gate Pass Gazette Gate Pass Gazette Issue #1 Contents

Issue #1 of Level Up: Advanced 5th Edition's official magazine is approaching, and here's a look at the creepy contents! To make sure you get your copy of the Gate Pass Gazette (and download the free Issue #0 which includes the artificer class and the construct heritage), be sure to subscribe to the official Patreon! https://www.patreon.com/gatepass Mysterious Mastermind: The Fateholder. A...

Issue #1 of Level Up: Advanced 5th Edition's official magazine is approaching, and here's a look at the creepy contents!

To make sure you get your copy of the Gate Pass Gazette (and download the free Issue #0 which includes the artificer class and the construct heritage), be sure to subscribe to the official Patreon!

• Mysterious Mastermind: The Fateholder. A giant spider with eight multicolored eyes, a fateholder spider fixes its prey in an unsettling gaze that can read, and sometimes alter, the victim’s destiny—and even history. By Paul Hughes.
  • Foretold Prowess: A collection of archetypes found throughout the weave of destiny, including the Loreweaver bard, Defiant berserker, Bladeseer fighter, and Revoker herald. By Thiago Rosa.
  • Weaving Prophecy: A look into the mysterious entity known as the Fate Spinner, a cosmic-level spider that maintains the order of the cosmos, and a Culture and Destiny for those touched by her influence. By Cassandra MacDonald.
  • Those of the Web: A new Heritage in the form of the spiderfolk, as well as a set of synergy feats enabling those empowered by fate to unlock new abilities. By Pedro Coimbra.

Fatespinner_Spider_-_Rafael_Benjamin.jpg

The Fatespinner by Rafael Benjamin

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
How backwards-compatible is Advanced 5E with regular 5E?
Pretty much completely.

It adds to the system, but doesn't take things away. You can use Level Up Archetypes with 5e Classes, and 5e Archetypes with Level Up classes.

You can slap the Journey System of Skill Checks, Regions, and Supply onto 5e and leave it otherwise unchanged and it works great.

The only incompatible bits, and even that's a bit of a stretch... I wouldn't put Level Up and 5e characters into the same party. Level Up has a greater focus on the Social and Exploration pillars, so the backgrounds, cultures, destinies, and class abilities tend to have more social impact available for them, so that it's not just "Whoever has the highest Charisma does the talking" or "Whoever has the survival skill leads the party in travel times" or whatever.

Any Level Up built character in a 5e party will be more effective at social/exploration stuff.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Pretty much completely.

It adds to the system, but doesn't take things away. You can use Level Up Archetypes with 5e Classes, and 5e Archetypes with Level Up classes.

You can slap the Journey System of Skill Checks, Regions, and Supply onto 5e and leave it otherwise unchanged and it works great.

The only incompatible bits, and even that's a bit of a stretch... I wouldn't put Level Up and 5e characters into the same party. Level Up has a greater focus on the Social and Exploration pillars, so the backgrounds, cultures, destinies, and class abilities tend to have more social impact available for them, so that it's not just "Whoever has the highest Charisma does the talking" or "Whoever has the survival skill leads the party in travel times" or whatever.

Any Level Up built character in a 5e party will be more effective at social/exploration stuff.
It works just fine in our game. We’ve designed LU so that you can run O5E characters alongside LU characters freely. The LU ones are more interesting in our opinion, but they work alongside the regular classes just fine.

Ahks

Villiage ID10T
I converted a character to LU trying to keep the new character true to original and it felt ... normal, but fun? The original was made on Beyond with optional class features and a customized origin. I followed Russ's Character Creation Walkthrough since I'm a 5e newb and built them with the constructed heritage from issue #0 of the Gazette. There was only 1 skill proficiency that I couldn't translate. Even the backgrounds available were able to translate into backstory the character already had.

The only issue is that they do have more traits than they did pre-LU... so I anticipate some balance issues, but it shouldn't be too bad ;)

Remove ads

Remove ads