• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gatekeepin' it real: On the natural condition of fandom

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
In my soon to be released Gnomes and Paladin's the RPG I'm gonna have to gate keep it to stop anyone from playing.

The plot revolves around Edgelord a sentient rapier of great power. It grants +5000 power. You can spend power to shout limbs back on, jump to the moon and martial healing.

It's Gnome centric with 3 other races- Tiefling,Dragonborn and Drow. Edgelord was forged by the Drow.

Instead of DMs you have GK's or gatekeepers. Their job is to stop anyone playing G&P.
Let me in let me in! I have a Tiefling character whose backstory says he fulfills the prophecy that A Chosen One will wield Edgelord to defeat the Evil Overlord™. Oh and as starting equipment he has the rest of the set of equipment that Edgelord was lost from (he won a game of cards against a Drow matriarch). And he can fly with wings - even down hallways and tunnels - plus is naturally proficient with all long-ranged weapons. He's really moody and anti-social, so he will be a perfect fit in the game with any sidekicks other group. Let me in let me in I wanna play too!

Oofta

Legend
In my soon to be released Gnomes and Paladin's the RPG I'm gonna have to gate keep it to stop anyone from playing.

The plot revolves around Edgelord a sentient rapier of great power. It grants +5000 power. You can spend power to shout limbs back on, jump to the moon and martial healing.

It's Gnome centric with 3 other races- Tiefling,Dragonborn and Drow. GK discretion on half campires. Edgelord was forged by the Drow.

Instead of DMs you have GK's or gatekeepers. Their job is to stop anyone playing G&P.

My only question is: how can you add 5000 to infinity? A rapier wielding gnomish paladin is already infinitely awesome. o_O

I mean ... what could be more awesome than Sir McStabsalot?
Sir McStabsalot.jpg

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Am I missing anything??
The paragraph beginning "People who have been playing Dungeons and Dragons..." should read "Some people who..."
Such people presumably exist (Morrus is worried about something) but they haven't made themselves known where I can find them.

As for my opinion on the matter, I composed the "Welcome!" post to the viewers, either earlier in this thread or in the companion thread.

Last edited:

If you're wondering about the orginal point of this thread:

Voice Actor Matt Mercer and a bunch of his voice actor friends have an online show where they play Dungeons and Dragons. Lots of people watch that show and really like it. One side effect is that this group of people are getting drawn into Dungeons and Dragons.

People who have been playing Dungeons and Dragons don't like this development. They want to exclude these new people from Dungeons and Dragons for various reasons. They will act with hostility towards the new people in an attempt to keep the new people from joining Dungeons and Dragons.

This exclusion is being called "Gatekeeping" and Morrus considers it bad and wants it to stop.

Am I missing anything??
Now keep all of this in mind while certain posters have been trying to justify that gatekeeping is not all bad. Either through finding the most extreme and bizarre examples to try justify gatekeeping or constructing rambling and ludicrous scenarios to try to justify gatekeeping.

tommybahama

Adventurer
I went on Twitter looking for all those gatekeeping tweets all the way to January 12th and couldn't find a single one. There were only tweets complaining about gatekeeping. Can someone send me a link or three to actual gatekeeping? I read one Reddit thread with over 250 comments complaining about the gatekeepers but not a single post with any actual gatekeeping. But it does appear that the majority of Twitter and Reddit does approve of vitriol towards the gatekeepers. So I'm really very interested in seeing some of the offending Tweets. I searched under critical role and then D&D and DnD. Private mail is fine.

Thanks,

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I went on Twitter looking for all those gatekeeping tweets all the way to January 12th and couldn't find a single one. There were only tweets complaining about gatekeeping.
You are going to have to track down the complaint / denunciation tweets to find what they were responding to. It probably won't be so simple as to find some who quote an offending tweet and reply "Stop that, you jerk, that's gatekeeping!" I feel bad for you, having to search The Sewer Of The Internet (aka Twitter).

Remove ads