• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

gave Chuck a second try...

Grymar

Explorer
Fast Learner said:
I've enjoyed Chuck since episode 1, not great TV but always good TV.

I still don't get the similarities to Reaper. Yes, both main characters suddenly have missions each week, but otherwise they're very, very different. The love story in Reaper has the lead in love with someone who's not in on the secret, while the love story in Chuck has the lead in love with someone who's part of the secret. Chuck's family ends up innocently involved in storylines, while the lead in Reaper's storyline effectively has no family involvement, but that they put him in the situation to begin with. Reaper's about supernatural bad guys with a lead who has to solve the problem with the help of his buddies, while Chuck has no supernatural element (and only minor scifi) and is handled by pros while his buddies are clueless (and not in on the secret).

The two shows not only feel different, they are very different.

Sure, those are valid differences, but look at the gross similarities:

Geek
Works at big box retailer
Much of the show happens at work
Cohorts share the same job
Geek gets special powers/abiltiies from a friend/family member that he never wanted
The powers are more of a curse than a blessing
Has a girl he's in love with but not sure if the feeling is mutual
Has a super geeky friend

Yeah, you are right that they feel different, but they are also very similar.

Vocenoctum

First Post
I agree with the general sentiment, I've watched it since the beginning, and while I certainly don't rush home to watch it, I do stop playing the 360 when it comes on. Fun enjoyable characters, hot chicks, it's entertaining enough. Not sure of the "will they get together" dynamic, since it doesn't seem sustainable, but it's been fine so far.

CrusaderX

First Post
I loved this show since the first episode, and was disappointed how other EN Worlders ripped on it in the beginning. :\ But I'm glad to see it's now getting some EN World love. :)

Glyfair

Explorer
Fast Learner said:
I still don't get the similarities to Reaper.
It's really the main characters who tie them together. Both are tied in dead-end jobs, are interested in females that seem not to be interested in them, are involved in "adventures" they need to keep secret, have somewhat similar best friends.

As for Chuck, I had dropped it because I was watching and DVRing too many shows on Monday night. When I saw a week or two ago that they might start unveiling why it happened I started watching and have started recording it on Saturdays./ I'm enjoying it, but don't worry when I miss an episode.

The series that has me hooked is one I might never have seen if they didn't preview it on "Comcast On Demand," Life. That show has a slow moving subplot (solving the mystery of who set up the main character), but every episode makes some clear progress in solving the mystery (unlike Journeyman which is getting on my nerves).

Grog

First Post
Chuck has improved slightly since the beginning, but it still has one big problem. Every week, there's an A plot, which involves something spy-related, and a B plot, which involves Chuck's personal life. Okay, so far so good - the plots play off of and reinforce each other, the way that good TV plots tend to do.

But then, there's usually also a C plot, involving wacky hijinks with Morgan and the crew at the Buy More. And Chuck doesn't usually get involved in these plots because he's usually busy with spy or personal stuff, so the C plots don't really interact with the rest of the show at all. Which means we get 5-8 minutes or so of wasted time in every episode that breaks up the flow of the main storylines for the sake of (often dubious) humor. It's not a crippling flaw - at least, not yet - but it is annoying. If they want to inject some humor into the show, they really need to find a more natural way to do it (and I know they can, because there have been some very funny moments in the spy stories already).

I'll keep watching, but this show isn't going to become a favorite until they fix this problem.

Fast Learner

First Post
Glyfair said:
The series that has me hooked is one I might never have seen if they didn't preview it on "Comcast On Demand," Life. That show has a slow moving subplot (solving the mystery of who set up the main character), but every episode makes some clear progress in solving the mystery (unlike Journeyman which is getting on my nerves).
I agree that Life is really excellent. It's probably my second-favorite show currently on the air, right after Pushing Daisies and right before Heroes. When I heard about the premise, I figured there's no way it would be for me, but man, it's great! (Oh, and Sarah Shahi is very easy on the eyes, which is nice.)

I differ on Journeyman: I like it quite a lot, too. I think the plot is moving along really quickly there. Premise of the show: guy involuntarily goes back in time to help make the world a better place. Along with that is no one believing him. But wait a second, his wife believes him now. And his kid knows. And now his brother believes him (albeit temporarily). And his ex-girlfriend disappeared. But wait, she's a time traveler too. And hold on, she'd from the past, not our time. And... it just keeps changing, nearly every episode. I have no problem with the pace at all.

Glyfair

Explorer
Fast Learner said:
I I have no problem with the pace at all.

The pace of the plot is OK. The pace of solving the "mystery" has been non-existent. That's particularly bad since a major subplot is how his disappearances are ruining his life.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I like Chuck for the chick fights. I laugh at them, and my wife rolls her eyes at them. That 5 minute section is enough for me. There is no tv show that I watch every week anymore, as we watch almost no tv other than sports or something on late night (mostly that is when my wife isn't home and I have it on in the background). Chuck is good, light entertainment.

Krafus

First Post
I've watched Chuck since the start. As others have said, the show doesn't take itself seriously. I find it entertaining, which is all I really need to draw me back week after week. (I'm also very much looking forward to next week's ep, given the preview.)

Remove ads