• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[GE] A Game Of Elves, ElfQuest d20, OOC

Argent Silvermage

First Post
I met Wendy at a convention in Philly when I was 14 (Thats 15 years ago) when she was just starting to promote Elf-Quest and I told her that Barbarian Elves would never sell. Guess I was wrong. If I may I would like to play.
Most likely a Wolfrider stone shaper.
I would say that magical types should be done as an entirely new class. and probably Psionic as most of the Elves "magic" is actualy psionics not D&D style magic.
A stone of plant shaper for instance should have a limited but potent number of "spells" set up sort of like a Psychic warrior or Psion.

Capellan

Explorer
An Elfquest PbP? Count me in. I vote for playing Wolf-riders or Go-backs, personally. They were always the most fun :)

I'll have to go re-read my Graphic Novel collection, not to mention my copy of the Chaosium RPG ...

Timothy

First Post
Great we have enough players now!

I do not know the rules for psionics, but we could incorperate them into our oen rules.

I won't be able to post for a time, but if you have any rules suggestions, plz post them, I'd like to see them.

What we need:

Races
Classes
Combat
Magic
Equipment

and some more things, offcourse

Argent Silvermage

First Post
Give me a few days. I'm working on the classes right now.
Basic Ideas are
Barbarian (as PHB)
Mage (special class. one type of magic, stone, plant, flesh or TK.)
Fighter (as PHB)
or Bearst Rider (New class)

Any other suggestions. It's been many years since I read of the world of Two Moons.

Guilt Puppy

First Post
Argent said:
Give me a few days. I'm working on the classes right now.
Basic Ideas are
Barbarian (as PHB)
Mage (special class. one type of magic, stone, plant, flesh or TK.)
Fighter (as PHB)
or Bearst Rider (New class)

Any other suggestions. It's been many years since I read of the world of Two Moons.

Some sort of Ranger variant is probably appropriate... Not sure how to handle it, but I'd say the Wolf-Riders are more than just Barbarians or Fighters with Track...

I'd also leave Rogue in, as I'd say it fits just fine.

(I have no real preference regarding race, although Wolf-Riders do have the natural appeal, and the most source material surrounding them...)

Argent Silvermage

First Post
Decided to rethink Stone and Plant shaping.
I'm looking at making them Feats.
a progressive scale of a few feats.
The spells would be powered by the characters hit points, and uses per day is level + con bonus if any. To use them does subdual damage. All spell like effects will use the characters Con score for the determining ability. IE: a plant shaper can shape living plant material up to 10 pounds per (level+ con bonus) per subdual hit point used. Thus you can knock yourself out from the effort.
Damaging effects will be as per a cure light wounds spell of the applicable character level. IE: a 3rd level plant shaper can make a humans club grow spikes into the humans hand doing the damage of a cause moderate wounds spell.

What do you all think?

Argent Silvermage

First Post
Guilt Puppy said:

Some sort of Ranger variant is probably appropriate... Not sure how to handle it, but I'd say the Wolf-Riders are more than just Barbarians or Fighters with Track...

I'd also leave Rogue in, as I'd say it fits just fine.

(I have no real preference regarding race, although Wolf-Riders do have the natural appeal, and the most source material surrounding them...)
I agree Ranger is far more appropriate than Barbarian. Rogue is good. (Skywise!)
I may actualy make each race a seperate "class" and have different feats and skills show the difference between members of that race. Seeing as how there would not be a "multi class option" in Elf Quest any way.

Guilt Puppy

First Post
Argent said:

I agree Ranger is far more appropriate than Barbarian. Rogue is good. (Skywise!)

Heh, I did such a double-take when I first read that... My primary handle is Skywise, and since you were responding to me, I thought you were making some point of weird emphasis toward me... Took me a while to sort that out :) (Argent!)

[/quote]
I may actualy make each race a seperate "class" and have different feats and skills show the difference between members of that race. Seeing as how there would not be a "multi class option" in Elf Quest any way.
[/QUOTE]

No multi-classing? Really, I see multi-classing being a lot heavier... I mean, Scouter is definitely not a fighter in the sense that Strongbow is, nor is Cutter, but they'd probably be modelled as having levels in Fighter nonetheless.

Making magic into a feat system might make them too easy to take, IMO... The multi-class system seems to work exceptionally well with Elfquest and magic, IMO... Try to complement one shaping class with another, and you start running into XP penalties... Even buffing up a magic class with a fighting class is difficult... Unless it's your favored class (and favored class means a lot more in Elfquest: Wolf-Riders all do seem to have the same focused set of skills, as do Go-Backs, et cetera.)

Further, I'd keep the magic of spell-casting classes fairly weak, with some decent Skills to balance it out (usually a slow BAB, however)... Magic shouldn't start being really useful until around fourth level, to discourage excessive magical multi-classing... Could be difficult to balance, however.

Some favored class thoughts:

Wolf-Riders: Ranger (definitely need a variant... TWF, Favored Enemy, and spells don't really fit the wolfriders, but the whole "Ranger" concept is ideal).

Go-Backs: Fighter (easy :) )

Sun Villagers: Something akin to Expert, as best as I can tell

Bird-Riders: Monk variant? Really tough to say...

Dart's Riders: Fighter?

Mountain Trolls: Fighter? Maybe Rogue?

Frost Trolls: Barbarian?

It's pretty tough to fit all this into a class system... Anyway, this could become a whole conversion project well before it could be a playable game. Maybe another thread should get started?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads