• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[GE] A Game Of Elves, ElfQuest d20, OOC

Capellan

Explorer
Guilt Puppy said:
Go-Backs: Fighter (easy :) )

Actually, I don't know that I agree. Go-Backs are tough and hardy, alright, but they lack the sophisticated combat abilities of a Fighter (consider that they tend individually to be inferior warriors to the Wolf-riders). I'd say they would be a variant Barbarian, instead. That also helps give them some of the skills they need for survival in the cold lands.

Timothy

First Post
redstrm said:
This is G.A. Donis' wife...
Am I too late to join?

You can still join, Everyone that helps with the rules is welcome.

I see this is gonna be pretty difficult.

I like the way magic deals sub-dual damage, making shaping based on Con. But other scores have to play a roll as well.
I think magic should be classes.

Classes themselves will need alot of changing.

I'm off to bed now, keep up the good work!

Argent Silvermage

First Post
Timothy said:
working on the classes, bump
Just remember that this is a seperate universe from D&D proper and the classes don't have to balance with any other classes except those in the Elfquest universe.
Thus a ranger from Greyhawk will not be the same as an Elfquest Ranger.

Timothy

First Post
hmmm, you r right argent.

I'm probarly going for less classes then in PHB. Also, normal humans will follow all the rules of PHB and DMG

Classes (for now)

Fighter (with companion, will be the most common class)

Beast Rider (shares more traits with his wolf/bird than normal, only available for Wolfriders (dart's too) and Flyers)

Ranger (or Archer)

Magic user (has sub-classes)

Multclassing will have no penalty what so ever, it is very usual to take more then one class, in fact most do.

Ther will also be NPC classes, also for elves, but they are not the same powerlevel as PC's (though not forbidden for PC's)

Guilt Puppy

First Post
Note that, if classes don't balance with Greyhawk, any CRs you carry over will be off by a little... Of course, CRs are not a perfect science, so this maybe won't matter too much.

If you want me to try to put together a magic system, give me the word. I'm all for the subdual damage approach (it's completely represented in the books)... I think class levels will mainly deal with how much you can shape per round (although the Rayek style casters will need a pretty different workup.)

BTW, those Rayek style casters will not be as tough as Rayek, so don't use him to set the standard. He was more of a "got lucky on his rolls" case than anything else.

(Oh, off-topic: Timothy, are you still playing in Game of Trust? Let me know if not, so I can open up the slot... If you are, post a little! I'm trying to keep it casual, but it's been about a week.)

Timothy

First Post
to Guilt Puppy: Word!
And I'll post tonight, I've been out 4 days, and after that didn't come around to reading all (just a bit, but I need to read it all very good before I make a reply)

And I've been thinking abot rayek too, I think he is a flyer/Attack mage (no name yet, you get what I mean) So that means the following subclasses (but go on and change it if you want Guilt Puppy)

Healer, Shaper (only one material per class), Flyer, attacking mage, telepathic.

Hope that helps!

Guilt Puppy

First Post
Timothy said:
And I've been thinking abot rayek too, I think he is a flyer/Attack mage (no name yet, you get what I mean) So that means the following subclasses (but go on and change it if you want Guilt Puppy)

Healer, Shaper (only one material per class), Flyer, attacking mage, telepathic.

I'd disagree with making Flyer/"Attack mage" separate... While flight wasn't a strictly racial characteristic of the bird-riders (since Winnowill and others didn't fly), Rayek's flight was clearly of a different nature (his was a product of his telekinesis -- in other words, all part of one phase of development, not multi-classing)... I'd say give Flight as a beast-rider ability at a certain level for those who fly birds... Or maybe even PrC it (did anyone fly aside from the Chosen Eight, or whatever they were called?)

Also, "attack mage" doesn't aptly describe what Rayek did... Although he sure could use his magic in a violent way, it was mainly rooted in his ability to levitate objects (including himself).

Here's how I'd rough out the magic system:

Everything has a subdual damage cost. The maximum subdual damage you can undergo in one action is equal to your class level plus your Wisdom modifier. Magic is cast as a standard action; however, in cases where it can be sustained for a full round's duration, the maximum expenditure increases to twice your class level, plus your Wisdom modifier.

If an ability has a subdual cost greater than your maximum per round, it can still be cast, though you must sustain the ritual for the appropriate length of time.

Healers:

(Save DC = 10 + 1/2 Class level + Int, as they require a knowledge of anatomy)

- Heal damage. (Cost: 2 per hit point healed).

- Convert damage to subdual damage. (Cost: 1 per hit point.)

- Inflict damage, touch attack, Fortitude half. (Cost: 2 per damage inflicted.)

- Heal ability score damage. (Cost: 10 per point of damage.)

- Add an enhancement bonus to a creature's physical ability score (effects disappear after one hour) (Cost: 10 XP and 10 subdual per +2 bonus, maximum +6; healer level 3+)

- Add an inherent bonus to a creature's physical ability score (permanent) (Cost: 5000 XP and 50 subdual per +1 bonus, maximum +5; healer level 11+)

- Add an enhancement bonus to a creature's physical ability score (effects disappear after one hour) (Cost: 10 XP and 10 subdual per +2 bonus, maximum +6; healer level 3+)

- Add an inherent bonus to a creature's physical ability score (permanent) (Cost: 5000 XP and 50 subdual per +1 bonus, maximum +5; healer level 11+)

et cetera... You can get into polymorph and stuff as well.

For the other shapers, you can flatten it out to volume of rock/wood shaped, with saving throws if that shaping effects living flesh (Fortitude if piercing, Reflex if you're trying to encase something). In the case of telekinesis, similar rules for how much matter can be moved, with special rules for energy bursts, cones, and the like.

Last edited:

Timothy

First Post
I like the rules Guilt Puppy, although I would make the permanent ability score even harder to do (maybe level 15+ and 6000 XP cost) because in teh core ules this can only be done by a wish spell.

redstrm

First Post
I was thinking that there should be regional feats like there is in the Forgotten Realms book. Some of the magic feats that you mentioned perhaps.

What about prestige classes? You could use PH for base classes (with a few modifications) and make Flyers and such be prestige classes. You had to earn the right to fly after all...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads