Gears of Revolution: Notes on my campaign

Colmarr

First Post
After all the drama of last session, a healthy payoff for the PCs this session.

Full report to come in due course, but for now I'll just say this: "What's the best way to confirm a suspicion? Have the changeling impersonate MacBannin and wake an unconscious Creed".

Colmarr

First Post
Session 16: Revelations

Session Summary:

[sblock]Erik moved to bind and search the unconscious shadowy figure as Tok moved slowly toward the church’s entrance. Meanwhile Thornt called Wilheim aside and the two of them commenced a ritual that would send Gale’s canary to RHC headquarters for help. Erik confiscated the shadowy figures chrome pistol and syringe.

As Tok peered cautiously outside, he overheard the bearded figure address one of his companions. “Tell your boss that Creed has not reported in, but that the situation is under control”. When Tok made his presence known, the bearded man introduced himself as Leone. He demanded that RT3 hand over Dr Recklinghausen and the documents he was carrying. If they did so, he would take the doctor and the documents and leave RT3 to escape at their leisure. If RT3 refused to co-operate, Leone would not be so benevolent.

Tok returned to the church and relayed what had been said to his fellow constables. They soon deduced that the shadowy figure must be Creed, and connected that name to Mayor MacBannin’s butler. Erik opined that the mayor himself must be involved in the conspiracy. He and Tok studies the canary pendant Erik had snatched from Dr Recklinghausen and realised it granted significant defensive wards and also a limited power of flight. It easily explained how Nilasa had managed to fly so far from the Danoran consulate window before impaling herself on the fence.

Thornt and Wilheim finished their ritual, and the canary cheeped twice before flying up the churches chimney and winging its way toward Central district. The two keen-eyed investigators then moved around the church checking for hidden passages. They found one hidden behind the privy, and when the wall swung open they were surprised to find a half-elf crawling up the hidden passage toward them.

The stranger introduced himself as Xaresti a constable with RT5. Xaresti’s old faith connected him to the abandoned church, and when he had heard rumour of it being inhabited days earlier, he had decided to surveil it. For a few nights, he had secretly watched the comings and goings at the church, but when he saw RT3 enter and then the attackers follow, he had decided to act. He confirmed that the passage would allow the constables to sneak out of the church, but they would need to pass near Leone’s men to escape. Thornt immediately began preparing a ritual to disguise the squad’s passage.

Erik and Tok dragged the unconscious Creed into a side passage, then Erik hid himself around a corner and Tok assumed the form of Mayor Reed MacBannin. He gently shook Creed awake. Creed looked around groggily and, seemingly unsurprised to find the mayor present, asked what had happened. Tok explained that Creed had been defeated but that Leone had recovered the document. He asked Creed about Leone’s plans and the butler replied that the Steelshaper hadn’t told him anything. Creed then realised that his hands were bound. When Tok hesitated in untying them, Creed realised what had happened.

Erik revealed himself and together he and Tok attempted to convince Creed to reveal the conspiracy he was working for. Creed would say nothing other than that they were acting in Risur’s best interests. He maintained he had given Risur 15 years of his life, and would gladly give her his death if necessary. He called on Erik’s patriotism and urged the constables to abandon their investigation for the good of Risur and her people.

Intrigued by that turn of events, Erik offered Creed a choice: come with RT3 willingly and without tricks, or they would be forced to “deal with” the butler in the church. Creed maintained that he would not reveal further information, but agreed not to foil their escape out of respect for Erik’s service to Risur.

The constables then barricades the main hall of the church to buy themselves time and, with 20 minutes remaining on Leone’s deadline, snuck out the secret passage. Thornt’s ritual proved decisive, dampening the footsteps of the injured Dr Recklinghausen, which otherwise would have given them away. Instead, RT3 escaped into the deep Flint night and headed for RHC headquarters.

They met one of Wilheim’s contacts along the way, who informed them that Skyseer Nevard had called a rally at Dawn Square for the next day, to announce to the people a vision of the future of Flint. Intrigued – but somewhat annoyed that Nevard had not bothered to convey his vision to RT3 first – RT3 pressed on.

RHC headquarters was in chaos when they arrived, whipped up by the urgent message carried by Gale’s canary. When RT3 walked in the door with a captive and Dr Recklinghausen, the constabulary visibly settled. Armed and armoured constables began to disarm themselves, and most officers went back to work.

Erik delivered the bundle of paperwork RT3 had recovered from Dr Recklinghausen to Ziggy in administration, hoping that the bookish clerk would be able to piece together the network of transactions it contained. RT3 then delivered Creed to the mage cells in the basement. True to his word, Creed did not resist. When Thornt suggested to Erik that he should bring his wife and her family to headquarters for the night, Erik asked the butler whether she was at risk. Creed simply replied, “Cover all angles”.
A messenger was swiftly sent to Erik’s house and that of Assistant Chief Inspector Delft, and RT3 filed reports of all they had learned. After obtaining Dr Recklinghausen’s full story of the events at the consulate, Creed was charged with the murder of Nilasa Hume, impeding an investigation, and possible treason.

RT3 was now sure that something big was going on; bigger than the murder of an intruder at the consulate. Suspecting that the terrorist Gale might know more, Erik addressed her canary in an attempt to reach her. The bird stared back uncomprehending. Thornt instead dispatched it to Skyseer Nevard with the message that RT3 wished to bring forward their meeting with Gale. RT3 retired for a well-earned rest.

When they woke in the morning and Erik stepped outside for some Nicodemus leaf, he was met by an insistent wind. It invited him to whisper a message into it, and he responded. “We have information. Many things happening. Can we meet sooner?”[/sblock]
Commentary:

To come (Masterchef stopped distracting my wife just as I started typing this :)).

Colmarr

First Post
Commentary:

This session was the first in which I feel my group really deviated from the script as written. Previous incidents (such as the Duchess' death, Asrabey's escape, and lying to Lya Jierre) could all have long-term implications, but those implications are not yet being felt. They're quasi-results, as it were.

Capturing and tricking Creed, on the other hand, is an entirely different matter. Their suspicions about MacBannin's involvement are confirmed. Creed is no longer able to lead the flayed jaguars in their attack on Nevard or ambush the PCs when they emerge from the underground laboratory in the adventure's denouement. They have a captive who Dr Recklinghausen can positively ID as the man who attacked him and who murdered Nilasa Hume.

Possible changes ripple out from there. If Creed doesn't lead the attack on Nevard, who (if anyone) does? Will Creed eventually talk or is he willing to go to the hangman's noose for murder to protect the conspiracy? Will the Obscurati attempt to rescue or silence Creed (thus potentially exposing their route into RHC headquarters)? My mind is racing with possibilities for how to handle things from here.

Creed's capture also gave me a chance to play up the moral greyness of the obscurati's plot. Yes, MacBannin is a 'Bad Guy' (he's consciously plotting to capture souls and burn them to fuel the golem), but Creed isn't. He's a patriot who's willing to cross some lines to protect Risur.

Having painted that picture, I'm looking forward to introducing Morgan Cippiano at some point (it might even be during Digging for Lies). Another nominal bad guy who nevertheless seems to be quite respectable will really fill out the detail of Flint as an ambiguous place.

On a group front, Xaresti is the new PC for Wilheim's player. With Cassi's demise, the group felt it needed a replacement defender. Wilheim's player has never been one for complexity of play, and the monk was simply proving too finicky for him. He should sit much better in the "hit me, I can take it" role.

As I see it, Creed would never talk, he would rather die. I wouldn't have the Ob track and kill him because you will spoil the surprise at the end of adventure 3.

About the flayed jaguars maybe using one of the technicians from the warehouse would make it. Adjust his stats to make it a weak version of Creed and toss some extra jaguars if you want to challenge your players. I wouldn't have the Ob track and kill him because you will spoil the surprise at the end of adventure 3.

Lucky for me, my players have already met Creed at the Mayor's House but McBannin never told his name, in fact he limited the contact with the butler to a minimum.

Falkus

Explorer
Also, my advice would be to try to limit kills on people in custody. After MacBannin and Kaja's deaths in my campaign; my PC's have grown incredibly leery about bringing in prisoners; and don't fully trust the prison; which might make the finale of Digging for Lies trickier to set up for me.

In hindsight, since Kaja had agreed to cooperate and work against her former employers; I should have waited until she was released before having the Obscurati kill her.

Ajar

Explorer
Yeah, I'm inclined to agree with Falkus here. I'd say Macbannin still has someone arrange the attack on Nevard -- this could be another opportunity to use Doro again, on the thinking that Nicodemus himself comes to view Nevard as a threat after Nevard's night atop Cauldron Hill.

Once Creed figures out he's being tricked, I'd have him clam up.

Colmarr

First Post
Session 17: Audience with the Wind

Session Summary:

[sblock]As Gale's messenger wind whipped away into Flint's packed streets, RT3 received word that Assistant Chief inspector Delft had reported for work and wished to see them. Delft introduced the constables to Kuri, a gnomish constable assigned to RT1 but whom he had temporarily reassigned to RT3 to assist with their investigation into the witchoil. Kuri had spent much of the night with the Constabulary's alchemist Elbert, and had reached a number of conclusions:
  • The sample containing white motes was the same substance as the sample without, but some transformation had taken place to introduce the motes to the substance;
  • The moteless sample was little different to normal oil, although it did contain a reagent that was often used in snare rituals; and
  • The mote sample was powerful. It burned with an intense but controlled flame, and burned for far longer than oil normally would.
RT3 asked Assistant Chief Inspect Delft to dispatch surveillance to monitor comings and goings from Mayor MacBannin's manor on Cauldron Hill. He cautioned them against levelling accusations against such a prominent politician without proof, but agreed to send RT6 as requested. Delft also seconded Xaresti to RT3 to assist in their investigation.

The constables next returned to the danoran consulate, where they met with security chief LeBrix in private. The danoran initially maintained his earlier position, but when the discussion turned to the witchoil LeBrix had found and its ability to capture souls, he suddenly exclaimed and left the room. When he returned, he explained that he had just realised something: the moteless samples he had discovered had been in factories that had not had recent fatalies. The samples containing motes came from factories where workers had recently died. When he reported on the investigation, he had been ordered to shut it down.

With this new piece of information about the witchoil, RT3 realised that it was likely being placed in the factories to 'charge' it.

Swayed by the new revelation and convinced that RT3 were pursuing issues greated than Danoran industrial interests, LeBrix opened up. He admitted that he had not been the one who shot Nilasa. Cillian Creed – who had visited the consulate multiple times in the previous few weeks - had. LeBrix maintained his loyalty to Danor, but gave RT3 his home address in case they needed to contact him further.

As RT3 left the consulate, a messenger wind descended on them and urged them to meet with Gale as soon as possible atop the 'Pardwright clock tower', a rickety and patchwork astronomical observatory rising tall about the Pardwight campus. Upon their arrival, Gale swept up to meet them from the surrounding rooftops. She hovered just outside the tower until sure they would not make any hostile moves and then landed to speak with them.

RT3 explained what they had discovered about the witchoil and what they had seen in the vision atop Cauldron Hill. Gale in turn confirmed that Nilasa Hume had been working for her, and that she feared Nilasa had been killed because she discovered evidence of a greater conspiracy. The eladrin terrorist told RT3 about a visit she had recently made to the Bleak Gate, and the signs and sounds of massive construction she had observed there. She cautioned them that sizeable conspiracies were at work, and urged them to investigate further. To assist, she gave Tok a book containing a ritual that would allow the constables to track elemental energies.

Gale maintained that, while she opposed industry, she had come to realise that she could not stop it altogether. She hoped instead to keep some areas safe and sacred. As she stepped off the ledge and floated away, Wilheim called out to her. She paused and the deva presented her with a brown parcel. Gale unwrapped it to reveal a strange mirror who surface appeared to be a sheet of running water. The eladrin read the note within the parcel, then glanced silently at Wilheim.

Gale produced a swirling ball of wind from her pocket and handed it to the investigators, telling them to use it if they ever needed to contact her. Five golden feathers danced inside. While RT3 studied the strange gift, a wind whipped around the tower, bringing thick smog that blanketed the sky. When it cleared, Gale was gone.

RT3 used the ritual book to track a trail of Bleak Gate energy up the canal leading towards Parity Lake, before the trail ended abruptly at a bridge near the base of Cauldron Hill. Another trail seemed to lead to a boarded-up warehouse in Bosum Strand, but with only a few hours left before Nevard's rally in Dawn Square, the constables opted not to investigate further. They moved instead to the site of the rally, which was already filled with more than a thousand people. Clearly much of Flint would be in attendance..

RT3 moved into the crowd to assess possible threats to the aging skyseer. [/sblock]

Commentary:

I couldn't believe it when the players chose not to investigate the 'creepy warehouse'. One of the disadvantages of playing via Maptool is that you need to plot your maps and code all of your tokens ahead of time. I'd spent a lot of time getting the Bleak Golem coded up as three separate tokens, and then my players went and decided not to enter the building. Wasted time... unless I move the golem to MacBannin's laboratory. Hmmm.

The new PC, Kuri, has the technologist theme, and is arriving at just the right time. To establish the character's expertise, I gave the player the three insights mentioned above before the session started. Thornt's player almost immediately suggested it must be souls that represented the difference in the two samples, but it wasn't until the discussion with LeBrix that the party considered that the witchoil was being planted for reasons other than arson.

One of my real concerns about Dying Skyseer is that parties without a technologist are hard pressed to successfully prevent the witchoil explosion at the end of the adventure. I don't really want to see half of the Nettles disappear under a scalding flood of soul-capturing oil, so when the Kuri's player expressed interest in playing tinkerer and scientist, it was music to my ears.

The player is a little unreliable, so I'm not banking on Kuri staying around for long, but the gnome is the sort of character that is useful to have on standby, a quasi-scholar of technology for the rest of the party to take queries to.

I still haven't finalised my plans for Dawn Square and Creed. At this stage I'm leaning towards having MacBannin's acolyte control the jaguars - Creed doesn't normally appear in the combat anyway so the identity of the controller is somewhat academic.

Colmarr

First Post
Session 18: Dawn Square

Session summary:

[sblock]Tok, Erik and Kuri took up position near the empty stage and scanned the crowd. Two skyseer-liveried wagons stood behind the massive stage, each tended by a white-robed druid. A small knot of skyseer attendants waited on the southern edge of the square for Nevard’s arrival. Behind the stage, a ring of trees surrounded a fountain and were in turn outlined by three towering frameworks of wood and iron. At the top of each frame, a continual flame burned in memory of Flint’s founding.

Tok pointed out a group of tall buildings approximately halfway down the square, and asked his seargeant whether they were a possible vantage point for a sniper. Erik replied around the nicodemus leaf cigarette in his mouth, indicating it would be an extremely difficult shot at that range. Tok nevertheless asked two nearby policemen to investigate, and they happily complied.

Xaresti and Wilheim moved among the crowd, searching for anything out of the ordinary. The deva monk spied a group of industrialists seated at the front window of a cafe, clearly unhappy about the rally. He returned to the stage with Xaresti to report their presence. Tok decided to investigate further and, changing form to match his appearance to theirs, joined the men in the cafe. They briefly studied him as he sat down, then returned to their conversation. The men were convinced that Nevard’s vision would be detrimental to their business interests, and more than one muttered aloud that the city would be better off if the rally did not proceed.

Nevard’s carriage eventually pulled into the square, and the crowd buzzed with anticipation. The venerable skyseer took the stage with almost a dozen attendants, and ritual magic cast his voice far beyond the range it might otherwise have reached. Nevard reminded Flint’s people that for centuries the skyseers had used their visions to guide Risur, and though the clarity of their future sight has faded in recent years, they believe they can still guide with their wisdom, to mediate between the conflicting forces of a changing nation. But, he said, he sensed danger was approaching, and so had sought guidance by studying the sky from the one clear spot in the city - atop Cauldron Hill. And he had a vision.

A shot rang out, and RT3 quickly pinpointed its location in the tall buildings Tok had earlier noticed. Someone in the crowd screamed in shock, and confused murmurs filled the square. Nevard paused and looked to his attrendants. Wilheim glanced to Erik and when the sergeant nodded, moved through the crowd with monastically-trained speed.

When no further shots were heard, and no attack came, Nevard returned to his speech. “I saw a dark figure, standing atop Cauldron Hill, towering over our city. The sun set, and he cast a shadow across Parity Lake, stretching northwest, into the sea, beyond the horizon. And also—”

Behind the stage, the white-robed druids whipped the covering from the wagons to reveal two mechanical platforms bearing quadruple-carbine mounts. The fusil golem in each wagon whirred to life and the barrels of their armaments swivelled towards the skyseer party on the stage. Before RT3 could react, the carbines exploded into action, smashing some of Nevard’s attendants to the ground. Only the fact they had been standing behind the skyseer saved his life.

Screams spread through the crowd and people fled in panic.

RT3 leapt into action. As Erik blasted away with his pistol, Kuri reached out with his mind to seize the nearest golem. The weapons platform, despite weighing almost a third of a ton, was dragged from its wagon and flung across the square. It landed with a crunch at the base of the stage, from where it could target neither Nevard nor his attendants. Xaresti chased after the machine, drawing his sword and levelling his shield.

Thornt’s nose wrinkled, and he realised just in time what it was that he was smelling. Death. Other white-robed druids in the crowd threw back their hoods to reveal the age-bleached bone of skeletons. Two rushed up the southern stairs onto the stage, felling a skyseer attendant, while the others advanced on the constables with rusty blades. Erik‘s battlefield training and impetuous kicked in, and the yerasol veteran sprinted up the stairs until he stood beside Nevard. His pistol barked, and one the attackers’ skulls shattered.

The second fusil golem fired again. This time its hail of fire hit Erik, cut down all but one of Nevard’s remaining attendants and sorely wounded the aged skyseer himself. Nevard clutched at a stomach wound that was quickly soaking his robes red. Kuri moved to the base of the steps, shadowed by a skeleton that attempted to halt his progress.

The waters of the fountain rippled and three great cats leapt out. Their bodies were a mass of exposed muscle capped with a nightmare visage – plain bone where the creature’s faces should have been. The first flayed jaguar launched itself at Xaresti while the others bypassed the half-elf and surged to the top of the stage. Erik fired at them as they came but the creature didn’t flinch as the investigator’s shot struck home. Razor-sharp claws flashed out, and Erik fell clutching a bleeding arm. The second jaguar leapt over his prone form and lashed out at Nevard.

Even as its claws rent the old man’s robes and the skyseer’s lifeblood spilled out onto the stage, Nevard’s form vanished and reappeared at the base of the stage near the newly-arrived Tok. The changeling’s magic healed Nevard’s wounds and clouded the jaguar’s sight so that it could no longer see its prey.

Xaresti and Thornt battled the fusil golem and jaguar at the rear of the stage. The paladin deflected both slashing claws and fusillades of carbine fire with skilled precision, but even Xaresti’s divine might was not a complete protection. The jaguar’s claws found a route beneath the half-elf’s breastplate and scored lines of blood across his back, and a shot from the golem knocked a massive dent into his cuirass. Thornt surrounded Xaresti’s enemies with swarms of stinging and biting insects. The jaguar roared in annoyance, and the golem sparked where its targeting processes seethed with crawling bodies. Xaresti saw his opportunity. He knocked the golem’s carbines aside with his shield and then pierced the creature’s central core with a thrust of his blade. The golem sagged and then was still.

In front of the stage, Tok and Kuri held off the two remaining jaguars long enough to revive Erik and protect Nevard, then RT3 finished off the skeletons, the jaguars and the remaining fusil golem. In the aftermath of the battle, Wilheim returned to the group. He had discovered a sniper hidden in the buildings, and the gunshot had been the assassin firing on the police officers who had discovered his vantage point. Both officers had been killed, and the sniper himself fell to his death from a roof while fleeing the Deva monk.
Nevard urged the constables to do what they could to rally the panicked crowd, and gradually the citizens of Flint returned to hear the skyseer’s prophecy.

“I saw a dark figure, standing atop Cauldron Hill, towering over our city. The sun set, and he cast a shadow across Parity Lake, stretching northwest, into the sea, beyond the horizon. He is born in our city, but his ultimate goal is elsewhere. And also things moved in his shadow—indeed, his shadow moved before he did, for while he was mighty, he was controlled by others.

“I saw smoke hiding his face, for he was made mighty by industry. In my vision, a king chased him out to sea and defeated him by slicing him free from his shadow. But the cauldron had already shattered, and many thousands were drowned and devoured in its roil.

“I saw three birds alight on the peak, the first of black silk, the second of black steel, both weeping blood. But the third was made of stars, and it sang many songs.

“I tell you this: Cauldron Hill is not safe. Twice will danger arise, and twice will we be deceived into thinking it is safe to return, but we must avoid the place and avoid being tricked. I have arranged shelter in the Cloudwood, where people can be safe until the darkness passes.”

No sooner had Nevard finished speaking than people began to trickle out of Dawn Square, first in small groups and then in numbers. RT3 could tell from their murmurs and exaggerated speed that those present were taking Nevard’s warning seriously. Many would take up his offer of safety in the Cloudwood.

As he watched the crowd go, the aging skyseer turned to his saviours. “Thank you again,” he said. “Twice now you have saved my life. There is more to be told, but not here.”[/sblock]
Commentary:

When considering how the Dawn Square encounter might play out differently after Cillian Creed's capture, I decided that MacBannin would try his best to arrange things so that he could both remove Nevard and create a distraction big enough to attempt to free Creed. The most obvious way for him to do that was to assassinate the skyseer in such a way that the people of Flint thought that industrialists were behind it. The uprising of anger would create rioting in the streets, and the MacBannin could use the chaos to launch a rescue mission for Creed.

To that end, I swapped two of the flayed jaguars for fusil golems (reflavoured Dwarven Crossbow Turrets from Orcs of Stonefang Pass) and mounted them in the wagons nominally used for iron rings in the adventure as written.

The resulting combat and scene worked really well, with the industrialists in the cafe and the sniper in the buildings (together with the fact that the Ob wagons were adorned in skyseer livery) making it unclear to the players exactly what was going on. At the end of the day, I'm sure they'll conclude it was MacBannin's work, but the confusion make means that it's at least plausible that the plan could have worked.

The combat itself was great fun. My session recaps generally skim over combat, focusing only on the highlights. As you can tell from the summary, this recap is one of the longer ones I've written - the combat was that full of "cool stuff": Kuri dragging the fusil golem off the wagon and out of LoS was breath-takingly effective, and would have removed an elite from the combat in one shot had Xaresti's player not been brash enough to charge after it. Erik's assault on the skeletons and subsequent savaging by the flayed jaguars was vintage Erik heroics.

Tok's saving of Nevard's life was the only event that gave me pause. I would have been within my rights to rule that Nevard was dead (he was on 0 hp), but as I previously mentioned, I so like RangerWickett's prophecy that I wanted it to be heard. It just wouldn't be the same if the PCs found it on a note. But I also want there to be a real sense of threat when the PCs engage in these sort of protection missions, so I'm contemplating having Nevard die of his injuries after the adventure ends (he is old after all, and even magic can only do so much).

Last edited:

Nicely done.

I figure letting Nevard retire back to the woods, provide a bit of guidance to the people taking refuge there, and then hanging onto life for a few adventures longer, so the party can go to him again on his actual deathbed, might have more effect.

The bulk of Nevard's attendants did die, so perhaps there'd be a large funeral to remember them.

Ajar

Explorer
I figure letting Nevard retire back to the woods, provide a bit of guidance to the people taking refuge there, and then hanging onto life for a few adventures longer, so the party can go to him again on his actual deathbed, might have more effect.

My party also saved Nevard, and this is pretty much what I'm planning to do with him. I may have him die between Skyseer and Lies. He'll be happy to receive Nilasa's canary amulet from them, which they just obtained from Dr von Recklinghausen.

I like the idea of a large funeral for Nevard's attendants, too.

Nice work with the encounter change-up, too!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases