• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gelatinous Cube vs. Swap Places

tomBitonti

Adventurer
So ... an actual gelatinous cube ... if mostly water ... and if filling an entire 10' cube ... weighs about 64,000 pounds.

I think that in part most folks have a gut feel that a gelatinous cube is, well, dang huge. And, that it fills most of an entire cube.

One way this gets to be a problem is when one player, who is really trying to imagine a gelatinous cube, thinks, naw, that is not possible, and doesn't try the maneuver, while another says, hey, them's the rules, and goes ahead with it.

I would be OK with a tumble (or a shift) past a cube as an epic difficulty tumble check, except that the new rules take away the DC's for actions and make them automatic. One of my beefs has been that opposed actions (your tumble against my abililty to track you, your concentration while casting a spell against my ability to take a smack at you) should actually be opposed actions, not actions against a fixed difficulty, or automatic.

Slife

First Post
tomBitonti said:
Ok ... so, what would you say about using the ability against one of a line of warriors who are using wall shields and who are locked into a formation?
I run over, leap at the last second, catching the back of my foot on his shield. Surprised by my sudden move, he doesn't expect when I suddenly kick back, finishing my leap over the warrior, forcing him to stagger forward as my feet push back on the shield. I hit a three-point landing, and suddenly realize that I'm now surrounded by enemies.

pemerton

Legend
Dausuul said:
I think my way of dealing with this sort of problem will be to tell the player, "If you can explain to me, in the next twenty seconds, how in heck your PC makes this work, you can do it. Otherwise, you do not get to switch places with the gelatinous cube."
I like this.

Zak Arntson

First Post
I'm a fan of the crazy, "as it comes into my square I dive right through the effing thing and hit the ground rolling. Standing up, I wipe the goop off my face and get ready to kick some ass."

MortalPlague

Adventurer
tomBitonti said:
Ok ... so, what would you say about using the ability against one of a line of warriors who are using wall shields and who are locked into a formation?

I would suggest that a line of warriors with locked shields have a special ability that makes them immune to movement effects (or at the very least resistant, so they get a saving throw against them).

Remove ads