Gen Con Has Doubled In Size Since 2010

This year's Gen Con set a new record, with 61,423 individual attendees (that's 197,695 turnstile). The annual growth since 2010 has been 9%, and it has more than doubled its attendance since then. Of course, Indianapolis hasn't doubled its number of hotels, so it's not all good news! Next year's convention moves back to August, starting on August 4th, 2016.

This year's Gen Con set a new record, with 61,423 individual attendees (that's 197,695 turnstile). The annual growth since 2010 has been 9%, and it has more than doubled its attendance since then. Of course, Indianapolis hasn't doubled its number of hotels, so it's not all good news! Next year's convention moves back to August, starting on August 4th, 2016.

Here's the full press release for those who enjoy press releases!

Gen Con 2015 Continues Six-Year Streak of Record-Breaking Growth

INDIANAPOLIS (August 3, 2015)Gen Con 2015 has set an all-new attendance record with a unique attendance of 61,423 and a turnstile attendance of 197,695, creating a six-year span of record growth. Since 2010, Gen Con has more than doubled in attendance. Year-over-year, Gen Con has experienced 9% attendance growth, primarily driven by 4-Day and Family Fun Day badge sales. Gen Con also has raised more than $38,500 for the convention’s Official 2015 Charity, The Julian Center.

Gen Con 2015 also was the first time that the convention held more than 400 exhibiting companies and sold out the retailer-and-educator-focused Trade Day. The convention was Co-Sponsored by Mayfair Games and Paizo Inc.

Gen Con will return to Indianapolis for its 49th convention on August 4-7, 2016.

Gen Con 2015 Quotes
“Another year, another life-changing Gen Con! While it always seems impossible, the global Gen Con community continues to find ways to keep coming up with new, bigger ideas on how to make each Gen Con the best yet. On behalf of the entire Gen Con team, I would like to thank our attendees, sponsors, exhibitors, volunteers, event organizers, local partners, and the city of Indianapolis. Gen Con appreciates your warm welcome and Hoosier hospitality.” - Adrian Swartout, CEO/Owner of Gen Con LLC

“The ‘Best Four Days in Gaming’ is always a fun time in Indy, and this year was no exception. Gen Con is an important contributor to Indy’s economy, and more importantly, a great partner organization. The entire city enjoys this convention, and I was delighted to once again welcome Gen Con to Indianapolis.” - Greg Ballard, Mayor of Indianapolis

“After 13 years of hosting Gen Con, it’s clear that Indy gets Gen Con and Gen Con gets Indy. Gen Con is a one-of-a-kind cultural event that energizes our city and drives more than $67 million in annual economic activity. Central Indiana’s hospitality community is incredibly appreciative of our partnership with Gen Con and we are proud to be the home of the world’s longest-running and best-attended hobby gaming convention. We congratulate Gen Con’s leadership team on yet another year of record-setting attendance in Indy.” - Leonard Hoops, president & CEO of Visit Indy.

"What an amazing four days in downtown Indy! With so much to do and see, Gen Con continues to be the most dynamic and exciting convention to grace Indianapolis. The weather was perfect and the Convention Center and Georgia Street are close to so many activities that really showcased downtown Indy as a great place for people to gather and enjoy themselves. Sun King is grateful for our partnership with Gen Con and look forward to working to make next year even better." - Clay Robinson, Co-Founder, VP of Marketing, Sun King Brewing Co.

“We are extremely grateful to the organizers of Gen Con and all those responsible for the many charity events as well as the generous, friendly attendees this weekend. Everyone was so friendly and interested in learning more about our work helping those who are dealing with domestic and sexual violence in Indianapolis. Thank you for selecting The Julian Center as your charity. Your generosity truly helps us save lives and empower hundreds of women, men and families to live safe, independent lives.” - Catherine O’Connor, President and CEO of The Julian Center.

Nytmare

David Jose
I know it's not a great option, but they could always do what movie theaters and sporting events do when they run out of seats. Stop selling tickets.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I know it's not a great option, but they could always do what movie theaters and sporting events do when they run out of seats. Stop selling tickets.

I think you're confusing conventions with seated events. There isn't a number of seats. At a convention, event capacity is fluid. It's not 2 hours in a single room.

Celebrim

Legend
How about a Gencon East in NYC and a Gencon West in LA?

NYC already has the Big Apple Comic Con. LA already has BlizzCon. While not being primarily RPG conventions, this means that there are already big nerd gatherings on the calendar. More to the point, San Diego has ComicCon and Boston has PAX (East). There are I think already too many big conventions in the area to squeeze another in successfully. Most gamers aren't going to be able to squeeze more than one big convention into the year. You start putting 3 or more big conventions on the calendar in a single area and I just think at least one is going to be squeezed out.

GenCon by contrast has always been a Midwest con in a way that PAX and ComicCon have not. It is to the Midwest what DragonCon is to the southeast.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nytmare

David Jose
I think you're confusing conventions with seated events. There isn't a number of seats. At a convention, event capacity is fluid. It's not 2 hours in a single room.

Maximum occupancy numbers are only for safety issues. I know it's a limited sample, and I know that ticket sales are going to pretty much trump anything else involved, but if the convention population is so high that the attendees can't attend, and the exhibitors can't exhibit, someone should figure out better ways to address the population boom.

I haven't gone in almost a decade, and I know that complaint stories are going to get a lot more mileage, but over the last two years the number of stories about cool new games have plummeted, and stories about not getting into games and events; and spending the weekend standing in lines just get louder and more numerous.

What I really hope they don't start doing it selling "first class" and line cutting tickets, or passes to special dealer rooms. :p

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Maximum occupancy numbers are only for safety issues.

Gen Con isn't in a room. It's a city-wide event (though concentrated on the centre). It takes place in the convention centre, multiple hotels, and various other venues.

Capacity issues are resolved by booking more capacity, not by stopping selling tickets. The issues arise when the city itself runs out of space.

I haven't gone in almost a decade, and I know that complaint stories are going to get a lot more mileage, but over the last two years the number of stories about cool new games have plummeted, and stories about not getting into games and events; and spending the weekend standing in lines just get louder and more numerous.

Because internet, otherwise known as "the archive of complaints". That's what internet does: promotes negativity. The difference in the decade you haven't gone in is mainly internet. In real life, the convention keeps getting more awesome in my experience.

Last edited by a moderator:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Gen Con isn't in a room. It's a city-wide event (though concentrated on the centre). It takes place in the convention centre, multiple hotels, and various other venues.

Capacity issues are resolved by booking more capacity, not by stopping selling tickets. The issues arise when the city itself runs out of space.

Actually, Morrus, sometimes conventions do cap registrations. Booking more capacity is often not a reasonable option - either due to cost or infrastructure limitations. If other events are going on in the area, the extra capacity may not be available, or may be too far away from the convention to be practical, or the convention's budget may not allow for it, and so on.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Actually, Morrus, sometimes conventions do cap registrations. Booking more capacity is often not a reasonable option - either due to cost or infrastructure limitations. If other events are going on in the area, the extra capacity may not be available, or may be too far away from the convention to be practical, or the convention's budget may not allow for it, and so on.

I was replying to the capacity for safety issues comment. I didn't address capacity for any other issues.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I was replying to the capacity for safety issues comment. I didn't address capacity for any other issues.

My point still holds - it doesn't matter why you need the extra capacity. I merely note that your posited single solution (get more space) isn't always the solution. If you are reaching the maximum safe capacity of a space, you may try to expand, but expanding may not be possible.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
My point still holds - it doesn't matter why you need the extra capacity. I merely note that your posited single solution (get more space) isn't always the solution. If you are reaching the maximum safe capacity of a space, you may try to expand, but expanding may not be possible.

That's a different discussion. Not one that particularly compels me, unfortunately.

fjw70

Adventurer
I have never been to Comic Con in San Diego but there was a Big Bang Theory episode about the guys not being able to go since it sold out. Does Comic Con limit the tickets sold? I have always wondered if this was a real thing for Comic Con or just made up for the show.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads