• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gen Con Takes Stand For Inclusiveness

This rather breaks all my rules, in that I'm reporting on politics, and regional politics at that. That said, Gen Con, the hobby's largest American convention, intersects with this particular example, so it's hard to ignore; and this is an RPG news blog, after all. Plus, I agree with the sentiment, even if I'm doubtful about its actual effectiveness given the current contract. Gen Con has written to the local politician in its home city of Indianapolis, USA, threatening (kind of - they're contracted to stay there for five more years whether they like it or not) to consider moving elsewhere if a local law relating to businesses being able to refuse custom to same-sex couples is passed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This rather breaks all my rules, in that I'm reporting on politics, and regional politics at that. That said, Gen Con, the hobby's largest American convention, intersects with this particular example, so it's hard to ignore; and this is an RPG news blog, after all. Plus, I agree with the sentiment, even if I'm doubtful about its actual effectiveness given the current contract. Gen Con has written to the local politician in its home city of Indianapolis, USA, threatening (kind of - they're contracted to stay there for five more years whether they like it or not) to consider moving elsewhere if a local law relating to businesses being able to refuse custom to same-sex couples is passed.

With multiple recent articles in just the last week (Monte Cook Games & Thunderplains, Green Ronin's Blue Rose), the subject of inclusiveness is not one that anybody can afford to ignore. However, the vitriolic comments these topics give rise to make discussion on them difficult at best.

Here's the letter they wrote.

gencon_letter.jpg

graypariah

First Post
We have a system set up in this country and if you want to be part of it you have to abide by some rules. These rules are if you want to sell something you don't get to choose who you sell to, and I'm not talking guns, or medicine, or liquor here. I'm talking regular services, like selling lunch or wedding cakes, or taking photos. You don't get to say, "No I don't agree with you life so I won't sell you this sandwich." This isn't about deciding how you run your business. This about discrimination. These so called laws want to protect people who want to be able to discriminate against people they don't like or agree with. How would we feel if this law was being used to discriminate against religions, or people who are a different race? If these were the issues no one would even have to send a letter like this. But yet when it's for the LGBT community it seems like it's ok. Another way to know that this is not about protecting but about discrimination is because these people never care when they sell to people who don't live according to their bible. They let people who eat shrimp shop there, or people who mix different types of material or whatever archaic laws are in that book. I have nothing against people who want to follow whatever religion or practice whatever belief they want to but leave other people to live their lives as they want as long as they aren't hurting no one. Thank you Gen Con for making people like me feel welcome. And thank you En World for letting us have this discussion.

The issue is that some people would argue that forcing business owners to serve people of a different orientation than them is religious discrimination. After all, a wedding photographer may not be able to say that he will not photograph a black wedding, but a rabbi can say that he will not preside over a christian wedding (as far as I know anyway). The issue is that unlike racial discrimination this is religion vs. orientation so the comparisons of it to racial discrimination do not necessarily apply. Nor is it nearly as cut and dry. After all if you try to tell a person that their religion is a choice you might get quite an earful, in most cases people aren't touchy about it but some are very, VERY touchy about their religion.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
I outlined it above - reduced ticket sales.

I am sure that will be true to some degree, but I don't believe it was a reason for that letter. If it was, it would have been called out in the letter itself.

Gen Con has has a lot of boycotts over the years for a lot of reasons, some of them were excellent, but it's continued to grow despite this.

I wonder what assumptions are being made about a boycott in general, since until this issue was brought up, I bet 95% of the people who go to the con had never heard of this bill. I had, but that's because when I'm not gaming I'm involved with political issues somewhat. As I wrote, I didn't even know how many states already had this law.

I have gone to Gen Con for a long time, since it was at UW Parkside, and for many the recent years I've done a survey about what I thought of the con and what I wanted to see at it. There has never been a single question about politics on it.

I don't believe that boycotts by attendees or vendors was a reason for this letter, it's only an explanation in hindsight.

And of course there's the caveat that there's nothing wrong with Gen Con taking a political stand on this or any other issue, it's just something that I don't like in gaming, and will likely vote with my (lack of) dollars on. As I wrote earlier, I have friends on opposite ends of this discussion that are already cancelling their trips this year because of this issue, so I suppose it's had an effect, just not what was intended. Hopefully I can convince them otherwise.

I'd also caution the Gen Con folks that just about every state has a hot button political issue or two that people are up in arms about. As I wrote, there's 19 other states that already have this very law, so there goes 40% of the country. When you start looking into the politics of hosting a large event, you will find something you don't like, and that's guaranteed.

cmad1977

Hero
This isn't politics. This is equality. If you don't believe that humans have a right to exist without fear of hostility/violence or to enjoy their pastimes in a welcoming environment then I think you misunderstand one of the foundations of our country.

Mournblade94

Adventurer
i Certainly don't want Gencon to leave Indianapolis because there are about 5 brewhouses in walking distance. I get games and craft beer.

I would like Gencon to stay thoroughly out of politics. Tired of the politics that have been running rampant in gaming.

I am a full fire environmentalist, and environmental scientist, and I don't like to bring environmental politics to gaming. I don't know why everyone feels like social politics is an OK topic.

halfling rogue

Explorer
Correct me if I'm wrong, but couldn't any business refuse service and/or discriminate (on a legal basis) before this proposed legislation even came into existence? That's the right of any business owner. Some clubs have bouncers for a reason.

It looks to me that this is something that affords the business owner a certain amount of protection regarding this already held right to refuse service and/or legal discrimination.

It's a proaction against what other states have already had to deal with. You have to be living under a rock to not have heard about all of the religious resistance of certain businesses in participating in same-sex weddings, and I think this is born of that.

Imagine GenCon rolls around and someone starts making a scene at a restaurant. Regardless of what the scene is, the bar owner determines that this is not the kind of thing he/she wants at their establishment. Let's say its a bunch of gamers playing D&D and they're taking up too much space. If the owner asks them to leave is he discriminating against gamers or is he looking out for the betterment of his business? The gamers may feel that he's discriminating against them. But at the end of the day, the gamers can't bring a lawsuit against the owner, or one that would have any teeth to it, and claim that the owner is discriminating against them because they are gamers. There is no law protecting the owner against gamers because this is his right.

Now the reason someone felt there needs to be a law to protect the religious scruples of business owners is because their right as business owners and as Americans and as religious adherents is being infringed upon by a group who has a past record of bringing lawsuits against religious American business owners. The curious thing about it is that these cases haven't been "We don't serve yer kind round here", but rather, "We don't want to participate in something that causes us to compromise our religious beliefs" and plain and simple serving isn't the issue. There is always a catch. The Christian baker or photographer will serve homosexuals up to the point where it compromises his belief of baking a wedding cake or taking wedding photos.

Imagine now the group of gamers at the restaurant again. The owner wants them out, says they're taking up too much space, but he keeps looking awkwardly at the guy in the dress among them. All of a sudden, even without the owner saying anything, what kind of scenario pops in your mind? Is this discrimination against that transgender person? All of a sudden a lawsuit from the gamers has a bit more teeth, and now the owner is in need of something to protect his rights. But lets carry it one step further. Imagine a man and a woman getting handsy in a restaurant. The owner who kicks them out and tells them to get a room isn't doing so based on their sexual orientation or gender but because he has deemed (as his right) that this is not the kind of behavior he wants in his establishment. The same situation with a same sex couple automatically gets placed on a different level. The owner may just not want that regardless, but now he has a lawsuit on his hands. He needs some kind of protection. And here, I haven't even touched upon 'religious scruples'. It's just how the world is right now and some owners are looking for protection against perceived discrimination against homosexuals.

But let's take it beyond that. If there is a legitimate religious reason (like the wedding cake) for refusing service, should not the owner have that right? What if there is a print shop in Indy, owned by a Christian, and a gay rights gaming group comes to them to have them print their promotional information for GenCon. It's not hard to imagine the religious owner having a conflict about it. He disagrees with their position and doesn't want to participate in their promotion of it. Should he not have the right to refuse service without the fear of a lawsuit? Flip the story, a Christian group wants to protest a homosexual wedding with flyers and posters and banners. They go to a print shop where the owner is homosexual. It's not hard to see why the owner would have a conflict of interest. Should he not have the right to refuse service without fear of a lawsuit? Of course.

At the end of the day, it looks like this is less the granting of rights to owners and more of a protection of rights already held. The reason it is a religious bill is because religious business owners are the ones currently under fire. Now if GenCon wants to move if this passes, that's certainly their right, if that's the hill they want to duke it out on. But if they move or stay, it would be a shame if this is where the conversation stalled and lingered. It was nice when playing imagination games wasn't infected with politics.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Correct me if I'm wrong, but couldn't any business refuse service and/or discriminate (on a legal basis) before this proposed legislation even came into existence? That's the right of any business owner.

No. It is illegal to do so for reasons of membership of a protected class. In other words, it is illegal to refuse service on the basis of skin colour (as one example). Of course, you can refuse service for any reason not one of those protected reasons.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The issue is that some people would argue that forcing business owners to serve people of a different orientation than them is religious discrimination. After all, a wedding photographer may not be able to say that he will not photograph a black wedding, but a rabbi can say that he will not preside over a christian wedding (as far as I know anyway).
A rabbi could and would refuse to preside over a Christian wedding- assuming it isn't one of those dual-celebrant ceremonies- because he doesn't know how to do a Christian wedding. There is a fundamental difference between the 2 rituals.

But, presumably, taking pictures of black weddings does not require a special camera, etc. Pictures are pictures.

Gnarl45

First Post
How is it called when an economic power strong arms politicians into doing their bidding? I believe that's called lobbying. Last time I checked, people make the decisions in a democracy, not corporations...

Even though I deeply agree with the cause, I can't help but wonder how the civil rights activists could agree with such methods.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Correct me if I'm wrong, but couldn't any business refuse service and/or discriminate (on a legal basis) before this proposed legislation even came into existence? That's the right of any business owner. Some clubs have bouncers for a reason.

To expand on the response already given, you can refuse service based on legitimate reasons, like if the person is being disruptive to the operation of the business, the person is acting in a way that presents a danger to someone (including himself), etc.

Any refusal is supposed to be on an individual basis, not a blanket refusal of a whole class of people, so you usually cannot refuse service for relatively immutable personal characteristics like gender, race, or religion.

It's a proaction against what other states have already had to deal with. You have to be living under a rock to not have heard about all of the religious resistance of certain businesses in participating in same-sex weddings, and I think this is born of that.

Yes, it is.

Imagine GenCon rolls around and someone starts making a scene at a restaurant. Regardless of what the scene is, the bar owner determines that this is not the kind of thing he/she wants at their establishment. Let's say its a bunch of gamers playing D&D and they're taking up too much space. If the owner asks them to leave is he discriminating against gamers or is he looking out for the betterment of his business? The gamers may feel that he's discriminating against them. But at the end of the day, the gamers can't bring a lawsuit against the owner, or one that would have any teeth to it, and claim that the owner is discriminating against them because they are gamers. There is no law protecting the owner against gamers because this is his right.
The gamers are being refused service because they are being disruptive, not because they are gamers, so this is legal.

They can still file the lawsuit, but they are extremely unlikely to win.

Now the reason someone felt there needs to be a law to protect the religious scruples of business owners is because their right as business owners and as Americans and as religious adherents is being infringed upon by a group who has a past record of bringing lawsuits against religious American business owners. The curious thing about it is that these cases haven't been "We don't serve yer kind round here", but rather, "We don't want to participate in something that causes us to compromise our religious beliefs" and plain and simple serving isn't the issue. There is always a catch. The Christian baker or photographer will serve homosexuals up to the point where it compromises his belief of baking a wedding cake or taking wedding photos.

I'm a Catholic. How does it compromise one's Christian belief to bake a cake?

Martin Luther was once approached by a working man who wanted to know how he could serve the Lord. Luther asked him, "What is your work now?" The man replied, "I'm a shoemaker."

Much to the cobbler's surprise, Luther replied, "Then make a good shoe and sell it at a fair price."

He didn't tell the man to make "Christian shoes" or shoes only for good Lutherans. He didn't tell him to leave his shoes and become a monk.

Imagine now the group of gamers at the restaurant again. The owner wants them out, says they're taking up too much space, but he keeps looking awkwardly at the guy in the dress among them. All of a sudden, even without the owner saying anything, what kind of scenario pops in your mind? Is this discrimination against that transgender person? All of a sudden a lawsuit from the gamers has a bit more teeth, and now the owner is in need of something to protect his rights.

No additional legislation is needed- they're being disruptive, and can legally be refused service for it.

I'll make it 100% clear: if it were me being disruptive, I could still be refused service on that basis, even though I am black. A disruptive female gamer could still be refused service, even though she is female.

But lets carry it one step further. Imagine a man and a woman getting handsy in a restaurant. The owner who kicks them out and tells them to get a room isn't doing so based on their sexual orientation or gender but because he has deemed (as his right) that this is not the kind of behavior he wants in his establishment. The same situation with a same sex couple automatically gets placed on a different level.

No it doesn't. He is refusing service based on disruption. Not unless it can be demonstrated that he used a different standard of "handsyness" for straights and gays (straights can get to first base, but gays can't even touch, for example) for such refusal is he in any jeopardy.

But let's take it beyond that. If there is a legitimate religious reason (like the wedding cake) for refusing service, should not the owner have that right? What if there is a print shop in Indy, owned by a Christian, and a gay rights gaming group comes to them to have them print their promotional information for GenCon. It's not hard to imagine the religious owner having a conflict about it. He disagrees with their position and doesn't want to participate in their promotion of it. Should he not have the right to refuse service without the fear of a lawsuit? Flip the story, a Christian group wants to protest a homosexual wedding with flyers and posters and banners. They go to a print shop where the owner is homosexual. It's not hard to see why the owner would have a conflict of interest. Should he not have the right to refuse service without fear of a lawsuit? Of course.
Can Nation of Islam adherents refuse to serve whites because they are white? No.

Can Christian Identity adherents refuse to serve blacks because they are black? No.

Can Southern Baptists refuse to serve Catholics because they are Catholics? No.

When you operate a business, you are open to the public. All of the public. You pretty much don't get to pick and choose your clientele based on class characteristics.

At the end of the day, it looks like this is less the granting of rights to owners and more of a protection of rights already held.

No, it is seeking to establish a legal ground to discriminate in a way that is currently impermissible.

The reason it is a religious bill is because religious business owners are the ones currently under fire.

It is a religious bill because some religious people are trying to make a sword out of a shield. Because they are using a torturous reinterpretation of the tenets of their faith.

When the people of the Middle East 2000 years ago objected to tax collectors, "women of tarnished virtue", the ritually unclean, etc., where was Jesus? Having dinner with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Related Articles

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads