• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gen Con Takes Stand For Inclusiveness

This rather breaks all my rules, in that I'm reporting on politics, and regional politics at that. That said, Gen Con, the hobby's largest American convention, intersects with this particular example, so it's hard to ignore; and this is an RPG news blog, after all. Plus, I agree with the sentiment, even if I'm doubtful about its actual effectiveness given the current contract. Gen Con has written to the local politician in its home city of Indianapolis, USA, threatening (kind of - they're contracted to stay there for five more years whether they like it or not) to consider moving elsewhere if a local law relating to businesses being able to refuse custom to same-sex couples is passed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This rather breaks all my rules, in that I'm reporting on politics, and regional politics at that. That said, Gen Con, the hobby's largest American convention, intersects with this particular example, so it's hard to ignore; and this is an RPG news blog, after all. Plus, I agree with the sentiment, even if I'm doubtful about its actual effectiveness given the current contract. Gen Con has written to the local politician in its home city of Indianapolis, USA, threatening (kind of - they're contracted to stay there for five more years whether they like it or not) to consider moving elsewhere if a local law relating to businesses being able to refuse custom to same-sex couples is passed.

With multiple recent articles in just the last week (Monte Cook Games & Thunderplains, Green Ronin's Blue Rose), the subject of inclusiveness is not one that anybody can afford to ignore. However, the vitriolic comments these topics give rise to make discussion on them difficult at best.

Here's the letter they wrote.

gencon_letter.jpg

Ell-Egypto

Explorer
"I'm sure this was a carefully measured act on GenCon's part"

yes it is. they realized how much money they had,
and it went to their heads, and now they are trying to force
their view of morality on the people of Indiana.

Is it inclusiveness ? what an odd word for trying to coerce people
to acquiesce to your beliefs.

the Jester

Legend
Personally If you own the business you should have the right to refuse service to who ever you want, as its yours not the governments. Forcing ones views or life style on another is not a good thing as it makes those feel uncomfortable being forced to service or take care of those that they do not wish to. I for one would never go to a gay bar as a strait guy because I am not gay and have no interest in going. If you are gay than that's up to you and your choice and has no impact on me, forcing a business that's ran by people who find your life style or out look counter to theirs is an in infringement of there rights as well. So go some where else that's more acceptable to your out look and that way no toes are stepped on.

As a straight guy who met his girlfriend in a gay bar, I have to say that you're limiting your awesome bar options. Gay bars are always the most fun, IMHO.

ivelbob

First Post
Thank you for posting this Morrus!

While I appreciate the desire to keep politics out of our great hobby, that's a privilege that's only available to those who aren't discriminated against. This has everyday, real-life consequences for those who might be harmed by this legislation. As a gay man, I can be kicked out of my hotel at Gen Con (good luck finding me another room, free market!). Or be refused medication at a pharmacy. And things might be worse for many people who actually live in IN. This isn't just lawmakers arguing on top of some distant hill; it's people's lives.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Good to see GenCon taking a stand.

That said, count me amongst those who are uneasy at ENWorld violating its own "no politics" rule here, even if in a good cause.

Well, first off, maybe you can blame me. I saw the news, and alerted Morrus about the story.

I was uneasy about doing so, precisely because I am normally a pretty hard case about the no-politics rule. I *like* that rule, I prefer that our hobby gaming discussion not be fraught with weighty matters, and the arguments that come with those matters. Most of the time, these things just aren't relevant to hobby games, and keeping a lid on discussion makes sense.

In this case, though, it seemed unavoidable - our hobby has people who engage in it, and businesses who serve the hobby. Thus, on occasion, real-world politics works its way directly into the context of our gaming, and then ignoring it isn't smart.

A law is coming up. Gen Con feels this law will impact them (and I can see several ways that can happen, so I tend to think they are right). Gen Con announced what they may do in response - the single largest RPG event of the year may move over this. That's pretty direct gaming news. You'd prefer we stuck our fingers in our ears and go, "La la la! Nothing is happening!"?

And, folks, you have my thanks that you've kept the discussion civil. That is pretty awesome. Keep doing that, 'cause I would prefer not having to bring out Mod Voice here.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Do do progressive gov't rules and grassroots movements drive bigotry out of the open and into hiding? Sure. It is a double edged sword in that sense. And I feel that, in many ways, concealed bigotry is worse, because you may never know if the negative interaction you had with someone was based on that bigotry.

OTOH, it's a much rarer form of bigotry, viewed in a historical context.

Besides, it sure is nice to be able to sit at a lunch counter or ride on busses in the front seats or go to certain schools or have certain jobs or live certain places. AND it is nicer to know that if you discover you HAVE been wronged because of prejudice, the justice system gives you tools to combat it.

(On paper, at least.)

Because overt bigotry SANS those laws hurts more often; it touches more aspects of people's lives.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I meant state in the general, government, definition, not the State of Indiana. Though the State is only responding to judicial actions in regard to business owners. The ADA clause regarding business owners which some would have expanded to other 'classes' is tyranny of the major against the business owners. They may be 'bad' business owners with outdated ideals, but they are still losing their freedom of association.

They are reacting to judicial action, but not what you're implying. They're taking an opportunity to take the Hobby Lobby decision and apply it to the state to keep municipalities from penalizing businesses who discriminate against homosexuals. Before the Hobby Lobby decision, the federal RFRA hadn't been applied to for profit businesses nor, by my understanding, had the courts endorsed the refusal of services because they may enable "immoral acts". Now, they have. This legislation is pretty much license for hotel owners to bar homosexual couples from renting rooms if they think homosexual sex is immoral. Before Hobby Lobby, it pretty much wasn't. The Hobby Lobby decision has changed the landscape and the Indiana government is exploiting that.

delericho

Legend
Well, first off, maybe you can blame me. I saw the news, and alerted Morrus about the story.

... and lots of other stuff...

Thanks for taking the time to address this. I do, of course, understand the difficulties involved in deciding whether to report/not report the issue.

RoseNDagger

First Post
GenCon did the right thing by sending a letter to the governor. It is, in a way, political. But it is a business issue. Many in the gamer community are LGBTQ, this is a place for many of us to deal with the stress of being LGBTQ and feeling as though we are not safe disclosing our status. If Indiana gives businesses the right to discriminate and the hotel manager, or clerk for that matter, chooses to exercise that right GenCon and the vendors that set up shop lose that business. Yes we, as gamers are in it for enjoyment, but the vendors are not always there for the same reason. Religious discrimination doesn't just apply to the LGBTQ people, what if the individual decides not to allow Asian people because of the ignorant belief that they are Buddhist or Muslim? Or worse yet, you can't enter because they believe that roleplaying games re of the devil. GenCon is running a business this act will make them lose business.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
yes it is. they realized how much money they had,
and it went to their heads, and now they are trying to force
their view of morality on the people of Indiana.

That is one plausible story. There is another.

Gen Con may realize that they have many attendees for whom this law is relevant. They may quite rightly choose to not attend the Con if it is in a place with such a law. And those attendees have friends, who may also choose not to attend because of the law.

Thus, Gen Con may see decreased sales - this law gets in the way of Gen Con serving its customer base. That leaves Gen Con with three choices: Just suck up the loss, move, or announce that they may have to move so that the local government and businesses can make a rational decision before doing this.

I'm told Gen Con brings about $50 million to the area each year. It seems to me that the third option is the most polite and professional they could be about it.

So, you may choose your narrative, if you wish. But it seems unsubstantiated. Mine at least has a vague business case behind it. You want businesses to be allowed to do what makes sense for them? Gen Con seems to be doing just that. I can't see how you can complain about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads