GenCon 2022 Draws Over 50,000 Attendees

Gen Con reports that it attracted over 50,000 attendees this year. While that's not quite back to pre-pandemic figures (2018 saw over 60,000 attendees, and 2019 had 'nearly 70K'), it's a big step back towards it. By comparison, UK Games Expo had just over 23K attendees, while Origins Game Fair reported just under 12K this year. attracting a unique attendance of over 50,000 gaming fans to the...

Gen Con reports that it attracted over 50,000 attendees this year. While that's not quite back to pre-pandemic figures (2018 saw over 60,000 attendees, and 2019 had 'nearly 70K'), it's a big step back towards it.

By comparison, UK Games Expo had just over 23K attendees, while Origins Game Fair reported just under 12K this year.

attracting a unique attendance of over 50,000 gaming fans to the Indiana Convention Center (ICC) and Lucas Oil Stadium

Not just attendees had a large turnout.

The convention’s exhibit hall featured more than 530 game publishers and vendors. Publishers released more than 500 new game titles during the convention. More than 15,000 ticketed events were held over the four days, ranging from board games, card games, roleplaying games, comedy, music, seminars, the Costume Contest, Film Festival, and more.

“This year’s Gen Con was even better for us than 2019,” said Stephanie Shossow, Event Manager for The Op. “Gamers came ready to bring fun to the table!”

6E7AFB80-9C12-4FC9-A753-633BBA079437.jpeg

DorkForge

Explorer
Well, one of the guys in our group has tested positive already. Even though he was masked nearly the whole time, we did have drinks and dinner together. Probably will spread through us regardless of the precautions.
As already pointed out, no precaution is 100%, but this seems a little defeatist when you also say you ate and drank together, presumably in a public place and without masks?

Retreater

Legend
As already pointed out, no precaution is 100%, but this seems a little defeatist when you also say you ate and drank together, presumably in a public place and without masks?
Yeah it's certainly not GenCon's fault that I hung out with someone and was unmasked while eating (off site) and got exposed. Also shared a room with a few people.
To my knowledge this is the closest I've been with a person for the longest period of time since the pandemic started.
Wasn't even as close to my wife when she had it.

WhiskyJack

Explorer
I didn’t make it this year… but I am starting to feel like it’s just too big of a con for me anymore. Anyone have a favourite “big little con” (smaller con that still feels like it has features of a larger one) they would recommend?

Retreater

Legend
I didn’t make it this year… but I am starting to feel like it’s just too big of a con for me anymore. Anyone have a favourite “big little con” (smaller con that still feels like it has features of a larger one) they would recommend?
I prefer Origins. Last time I went it was about 50% the size of GenCon - with 75% of the events and vendors. So that means more events and vendors per attendee. I also tend to spend less money at restaurants and on housing.

Von Ether

Legend
If D&D is your big thing, then I second GameHole Con in Madison, Wis. The dealers room may be micro in comparison, but WotC pulls out all the stops offering author and celeb run tables. There's also True Dungeon there too.

D&D alumn, Monte Cook, has his company running the lounge for his Numenera/Cypher System game engine (which just went OGL), though he will be selling his 5e Ptolus book there too. The book is huge.

The down side is the event is in Oct. up in Wisconsin, though they do bring in food trucks!

Anthro78

Explorer
GameholeCon is a nice little con with a lot to offer! Lots of D&D, cool guests, a decent if modest dealer hall and FREE PARKING, so you can stay anywhere in town or out and drive in without any issues whatsoever. I'd love to go back more, but its timing conflicts with a work thing, so it's a rare joy when I get to go.

As a precaution I'm masking up for the time being, but the potential date of exposure was still too recent to show up on a test. I'll check on Friday unless symptoms develop sooner.

People were already testing positive on Sunday night and Monday, so they were catching it the very first day of the con, or maybe the second day. And that incubation period before you can test positive does vary from person to person and probably between variants as well.

Retreater

Legend
People were already testing positive on Sunday night and Monday, so they were catching it the very first day of the con, or maybe the second day. And that incubation period before you can test positive does vary from person to person and probably between variants as well.
My test result from last night was negative. Still no symptoms despite close contact with a COVID case.
If I hadn't already planned to go, paid for everything, etc., I would not have attended during this uptick. However, it was too late to back out without losing well over $1000.
I don't think I'll be committing to another event on this scale.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads