GenCon dropping COVID vaccination, masks mandates in 2023

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero

Given that pretty much everyone who goes to a convention, pre- or post-COVID comes down with some sort of "con crud," this feels like a triumph of commerce over common sense, especially given how long the vaccines have been out and what a high percentage of people have gotten at least one dose (at least 79% of Americans and 65% of people worldwide, based on a cursory online search).

I've enjoyed GenCon Online since 2020 -- one of the rare occasions I get to be a player, rather than a DM -- and don't see that changing, but this is a disappointing decision for me, a person with no real skin in the game.

aco175

Legend
My local con next month has a statement watching state guidelines. They also have tables that are mask only depending on the DM, but they are advertised in the listing.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
My local con next month has a statement watching state guidelines. They also have tables that are mask only depending on the DM, but they are advertised in the listing.
I sure hope, whatever one may feel about masks and mandates, that every convention would honor attendees, vendors, volunteers, etc., to mask up if they prefer and to request people at their tables do so.

aco175

Legend
I sure hope, whatever one may feel about masks and mandates, that every convention would honor attendees, vendors, volunteers, etc., to mask up if they prefer and to request people at their tables do so.
There is some language about respecting everyone's decision and at the mask tables there is no food or drink to try and skirt things.

I do not think there will be problems, but I also see where people are used to not bring a mask anywhere anymore. I mean I have some in my car, but the last time I wore one was at the doctors.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
I used to love Gen con. But the crowd has become absurd. This is yet another reason for me to hang it up.

I have gone out to eat and to a bar a few times but literally breathing in a crowd’s COVID breath is more than enough for me…

There is not spreading out in the vendors area is there? Maybe they have changed things but I remember basically being right up on people.

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf

Given that pretty much everyone who goes to a convention, pre- or post-COVID comes down with some sort of "con crud," this feels like a triumph of commerce over common sense
If that's the case, what kind of a triumph is it that we've never as a community independently developed the habit of wearing masks to conventions when pretty much everyone who goes to a convention, pre- or post-COVID, comes down with some sort of 'con crud?' :)

I'll probably never walk a con floor again without a mask on. The wife and I go out to dinner without worrying, at this point, but I know I'll never go into a drugstore again without a mask on (artificially high population of sick people), and I've already decided I'm never going to another company holiday party (too close to family Christmas to risk getting a cold).

Institutional requirements aside, there are lessons to be learned here; we could choose to learn them!

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
There is some language about respecting everyone's decision and at the mask tables there is no food or drink to try and skirt things.

I do not think there will be problems, but I also see where people are used to not bring a mask anywhere anymore. I mean I have some in my car, but the last time I wore one was at the doctors.
Aren't most tables signed up for in advance? Seems like it'd be easy for a concerned DM to tell people up front.

aco175

Legend
Aren't most tables signed up for in advance? Seems like it'd be easy for a concerned DM to tell people up front.
You can see what tables are mask required when you buy tickets. It seems to be the DMs call for his table. There is a tab to activate this and other tabs to see things like what system the game is and what room it is in.

Of course, most rpg games are in only a few rooms where all the tables are only several feet from each other, so not sure how much more protected people will be. I did not check to see if all the mask tables are put in one of the grand rooms or mixed in.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases