• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

GenCon Noob question re: RPGA

Eryndur

Explorer
My friends and I are going to our first Gen Con, and we noticed that there are a lot of slots open for RPGA events. How do we go about joining the RPGA so that we can enjoy these games?

I tried navigating through the process at the Wizards site, but I can't figure out if I'm signing up for Wizards Play or the RPGA, and even then, it seems like it's geared more toward event organizers and such.

How does a regular old player play in an RPGA game at Gen Con?!

AntiStateQuixote

Enemy of the State
disclaimer: not an RPGA member in many years

RPGA membership is free and if you go to any event at which there are RPGA folks they can get you registered. In fact, probably the fastest way to do it is to show up to a Wednesday night encounters thing they are doing at game stores.

In my experience you can sign up at an event and participate at the same time. Not sure if GenCon is different, but I wouldn't think so.

Nebten

First Post
If you are signed up for a Living Forgotten Realms game, you will need to pre-make your PC per the RPGA/LFR creation rules provided on the wizards.com website.

Eryndur

Explorer
So if I reserve a seat for a LFR game at Gen Con, but I am not a member of the RPGA, I can still join the RPGA right then and there? And even though I'm not a member, I should still go ahead and bring a sanctioned PC with me?

I'm just worried that I'll be throwing money away on Event Registration, because when I actually show up, I won't be allowed to sit at the table.

Nebten

First Post
You'll be good to go. I'm sure they'll have you a card & number by the end of the game if not the first encounter. (according to previous experiences)

The_Baldman

Explorer
So if I reserve a seat for a LFR game at Gen Con, but I am not a member of the RPGA, I can still join the RPGA right then and there? And even though I'm not a member, I should still go ahead and bring a sanctioned PC with me?

I'm just worried that I'll be throwing money away on Event Registration, because when I actually show up, I won't be allowed to sit at the table.

We have membership cards on-site at all large shows and it takes about 30 seconds to sign-up (and yes it is free). So signing up before you play at Gencon is not a problem.

What games are you looking at and I can probably fill in some more blanks (as I am the person running everything there for Wotc after all).

Eryndur

Explorer
Well, I was looking at the D&D Open Championship, the Dark Sun Arenas, and the "Tyranny" series. The blurb says that the Tyranny LFR series is for levels 11-14. So what would my friends and I need to bring with us, as far as PCs? What style of play should we expect? Is there an unstated table etiquette? The whole process is very vague to me, and I would feel bad if I wasted the DM's time with a group of RPGA newbs.

And rest assured, I'm not looking to join the RPGA just so I can get into these games; the organization as a whole has me intrigued. I used to be a member back in the Polyhedron days, but I've since lapsed.

The_Baldman

Explorer
Well, I was looking at the D&D Open Championship, the Dark Sun Arenas, and the "Tyranny" series. The blurb says that the Tyranny LFR series is for levels 11-14. So what would my friends and I need to bring with us, as far as PCs? What style of play should we expect? Is there an unstated table etiquette? The whole process is very vague to me, and I would feel bad if I wasted the DM's time with a group of RPGA newbs.

And rest assured, I'm not looking to join the RPGA just so I can get into these games; the organization as a whole has me intrigued. I used to be a member back in the Polyhedron days, but I've since lapsed.

DDC (D&D Championship) is a characters provided event. All you need is a ticket to an entry round and you are all good.

Dark Sun Arena I believe is a make a character or use a pre-gen event. More will be posted on the website as we approach the show (and we have a dozen DDI Character Generators on-site running with printers as well).

The Tyranny series is part of the LFR Campaign which currently is a 'Living' style campaign where you start at 1st level and your character gains level through official LFR play. You cannot just make a 11th, 14th, or 17th level character and play in these. They are discussing letting characters start at something beyond 1st level but those rules are still in discussion at this time. The MINI2-1, 2-2, and 2-3 is a much better series to pick (as it supports 1st level characters).

Style of play really depends on who is at the table. Some want fights and less talking and some want more talking. Most judges will adjust to give the table what they want best they can.

Table etiquette is simple. Play D&D, have fun, don't be a putz. Follow those and you're golden.

We sit hundreds of 'newbs' every year. In fact we gear a lot of what we do at Gencon towards that type of player. So don't worry. Show up and have some fun.

Dave

Seonaid

Explorer
If I'm understanding you correctly, to participate in Living games, I must use a first-level character at a beginning game, but for other RPGA events, I don't? I'm in the same boat as Eryndur--I'm interested but can't really figure it out. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads