• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

GenCon Noob question re: RPGA

smerwin29

Reluctant Time Traveler
If the RPGA event in question is a Living Forgotten Realms event, that means you must start with a 1st-level character. So you cannot just come in and play a Living Forgotten Realms event that is designed for higher level characters. The people in charge of the campaign are currently considering whether to change that rule to allow people to come into the Living Forgotten Realms campaign with characters higher than level 1. At this point I am not aware if a final decision has been made.

RPGA events that are not part of the Living Forgotten Realms campaign can be played by anyone, even if they are designed for characters higher than level 1. Generally these events either have pre-generated characters available at the game table, or they invite you to create your own character and bring it to the game. Some events give you a choice whether to bring your own or use a pre-gen.

The_Baldman

Explorer
If I'm understanding you correctly, to participate in Living games, I must use a first-level character at a beginning game, but for other RPGA events, I don't? I'm in the same boat as Eryndur--I'm interested but can't really figure it out. :)

Shawn filled in a lot of the blanks but you should see in the event description whether characters are provided and what experience level to play is required.

The RPGA offers to types of games (and the one is broken down a little more).

Living Games - Currently Living Forgotten Realms (LFR) - you make a character at first level and advance through play of LFR events (currently over 120 of them have been released). You play the same character again and again. You make all the choices for that character.

Classic Style - One Shots - Characters are provided or a set of rules are given to make a character. You play in the adventure or a short series of adventures and then you are done. At Gencon the D&D Delve, D&D Classics, and D&D Championship fall into this category.

Hope that helps
Dave

The_Baldman

Explorer
That helps a lot; thanks, Dave!

If my character in Living dies, do I have to start over as a new L1 character?

That's what Raise Dead is for. Spend a little money and you're back. You can also have more then one character (I know a friend who has 8 of them now between 1st and 17th level).

Herschel

Adventurer
That helps a lot; thanks, Dave!

If my character in Living dies, do I have to start over as a new L1 character?

There's also the death charity clause that you are auto-raised after the adventure, but you miss out on any XP after you died, and teh loot/treasure bundles.

In a weird happening, in mini 1-3 the group I ran it for played it at the higher level and even though it was a TPK in the final encounter, they gained more XP than had they played it at the lower level, just without any loot.

Seonaid

Explorer
There's also the death charity clause that you are auto-raised after the adventure, but you miss out on any XP after you died, and teh loot/treasure bundles.

In a weird happening, in mini 1-3 the group I ran it for played it at the higher level and even though it was a TPK in the final encounter, they gained more XP than had they played it at the lower level, just without any loot.
Oh! I think that better answers my question. :) Is this a GM-fiat type of thing, or automatic for all characters of all levels in all scenarios?

Herschel

Adventurer
All characters are assumed to be raised afterwards if they die. They do have the death penalty though, which is -1 to all D20 rolls until three milestones are reached, which is usually an adventure and a half. It's a penalty that's a bit annoying, but not awful or overly harsh.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads