• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

GenCon Question

Well, some things have come up, and it looks like I may actually be able to attend GenCon this year. Yay! :)

Thing is... I've never been before. Not to GenCon, not to any major gaming convention.

*Waits for gasps of horror to subside*

My question is, am I going to regret it if I only get the general admission, and don't pay for any of the special events? Are those essential to the enjoyment of the Con?

(For the record, I'm mostly going to meet with many of the people I work with but have never met physically, and to network with a bunch of people I haven't yet worked with but hope to in the future. And what the hey, it's deductable. :D)

Last edited:

der_kluge

Adventurer
Mouseferatu, GenCon is more enjoyable if you go with a friend, or a group of friends, and doing that is infinitely more enjoyable than signing up for a buttload of games.

The first year I went, I didn't have a clue, and I wandered mostly aimlessly, ran one Planescape pick-up game, and played in a few games. I had such a blast, that I've been back every year but one (got married that year, instead).

One year I went through and exhaustively filled up my schedule with Planescape games, and a few other things, and had a great time, but it's absolutely imperitive that you allot a *lot* of time for just vegging out - talking to people, exploring, and going through the vendor fair.

There are inevitably games available to play, and if they're aren't, run one yourself. There are areas of the hotel devoted to just pick-up games, so you're almost guaranteed to play if you really want.

GenCon is a blast, and maybe I'll see you there. Drop by the Thunderhead/Mystic Eye booth.

EOL

First Post
Basically I second what kluge said:

1- If at all possible bring some friends
2- Play games, but leave time for the vendor area as well
3- Mix it up, play some things you haven't, it's lots of fun
4- Try not to schedule anything too early, you'll regret it

Mouseferatu: If I take you to lunch while you're at GenCon in Milwaukee (my current hometown), will you bring me a Cheesesteak with #2 (secret mustard sauce) and a jar of picante sauce from Texadelphia on the Drag in Austin (my former hometown)?

Please?!??!!? :)

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Oh, I think you will have fun.

Just walking about seeing and watching the games are a lot of fun. Then there is the dealer room, the art show, free events, games in the halls, anime movies. Tons of stuff that you don't have to have a ticket for.

As you are going to be networking I think you are going to be busy!

Don't forget the ENinnes!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
mouseferatu said:

Thing is... I've never been before. Not to GenCon, not to any major gaming convention.

*Waits for gasps of horror to subside*

That's OK - me too! I'm looking forward to it - especially because it'll involve a holiday abroad at the same itme! :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads