• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

General Discussion Thread IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

doghead

thotd
Out of curiosity, do deities ever grant class skills to followers. Its kind of odd having a Paladin of Verdante, a deity dedicated to plants, animals and the natural cycle, who has no ranks in knowledge (nature). Of course I could take it as a cross class skill, but thats rather expensive for a paladin with only 2 skill points per level to start with.

thotd

Velmont

First Post
You can always devellop a PrC. But I would generally see the followers of Verdante more as Rangers than Paladins, so you can always multi-class to take a level of Rangers... oh yeah, restriction, you can't do that, as you will not be able to raise again in Paladin. :\

Bront

The man with the probe
The Natural Talent feat lets you pick up a cross class skill at 1 point per, and gives you a +2 bonus as well. Not that paladins are brimming with feats either. (It's an approved LEW feat, see the rules thread)

Velmont

First Post
True. I forgot about that, and Opale have it :p

EDIT: hsould have it. Lost that modification with the crash... I just correct it.

doghead

thotd
A PrC doesn't seem like the right way to go for the sake of a few skill points.

Actually, I was thinking about taking the ranger route. While it would mean Jaan can no longer gain any levels as a paladin, the ranger is probably closer in concept to what I had in mind when I created Jaan.

BTW, we seem to have lost the DM Credits proposal (amoung others). Was the final decision recorded anywhere else in the forum?

thotd

Edit: Just saw Bronte's post about the Natural Talent feat. Something to keep in mind for 6th level perhaps :)

Last edited:

Knight Otu

First Post
doghead said:
Actually, I was thinking about taking the ranger route. While it would mean Jaan can no longer gain any levels as a paladin, the ranger is probably closer in concept to what I had in mind when I created Jaan.
You could also design a feat, similar to the one Kahuna Burger created for the monk/cleric in her game.
I faced a similar problem when I decided that my third character would be a horizon walker for whom it would make sense to have those planar terrains. Which pretty much means access to the plane shift spell. Which pretty much means going cleric. Which pretty much means having the Knowledge domain (for the knowledge (geography) skill), or multiclassing with Ranger or a different class (such as human paragon). Which pretty much meant either a delay to get the spell, or choosing a deity that isn't obviously linked to that particular way.

In the end I decided for a cleric of Russna, which seems to make enough sense (as a wandering gatherer of knowledge).

BTW, we seem to have lost the DM Credits proposal (amoung others). Was the final decision recorded anywhere else in the forum?
That one's back in the Guide to Living Enworld thread, thanks to Bront's unconscious reminder.

Bront

The man with the probe
Yes, in general, I think new feats are things we'll see a lot more of in LEW. We're not adding more base classes (I believe that's been said), new races will be few and far between, and PrCs are tough to get accepted at times (Did the Dervish ever get done?) though they can add some flavor (see said Dervish) or fill in a need (see Outrider).

So, if there's a feat that would be good for your character, feel free to propose it.

However, this is why I generaly allow a paladin to multi-class if they wish, assuming it's a reasonable multi-class given the character and religion (Such as your Paladin/Ranger multi-class).

If you want, I can look into creating a multi-class feat for paladin/ranger though. I had an idea that just popped into my head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads