General Discussion Thread VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bront

The man with the probe
Kahuna Burger said:
Have we ever determined if the feats from the Divine section of the SRD are acceptable here? They have a subdual substitution feat (which unfortunately wouldn't work well for the character I want it for, since you can only use it on energy descriptor spells as opposed to the inflict wound series, but its a start.)

If not I can write up a proposal, but the last one was declared simultaeously overpowered and useless, and I had to go lie down in a dark room a while. ;)
Actualy, not everything on the d20srd.org is SRD, some of it is just OGL, like all the Unearthed Arcana stuff. The only official SRD stuff is from Wizards.

So none of this stuff is SRD, therefore technicaly it all needs to be voted on.

Also of note, at the top of the feats section.

Feats
Deities can obtain the feats described here, in addition to any standard feats.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Persistant Spell--Is it still that troublesome with the +6 adjustment? I admit I didn't follow its career too much after the revision, but I heard a few mumblings about how worthless it is now.

See, that's the thing about the feat--it is utterly worthless most of the time, but then it becomes totally broken the rest of the time. There isn't really a common ground. This is particularly true of several spells not in LEW (Wraithstrike is a key offender, since 24 hours of making all your melee attacks touch attacks is, well, scary), but it causes trouble in other places as well. Basically: It should be banned because a player would never take it unless they were planning on abusing it, due to the extreme price of the metamagic. I would suggest perhaps replacing it with something that is more useful but less liable to be abused, perhaps a feat that increases the duration from rounds to minutes, minutes to 10 minutes, 10 minutes to hours at a cost of +2 spell level (and cap the duration this feat could allow at 24 hours) and doesn't work at all on spells that only last one round.

ICE-Will be checked.

Okay :) Again, ICE is not a feat that is overwhelming for any character in extistance, but any character who would go to the length of taking the feat is probably one of the ones who can get extreme mileage out of it. The idea of Combat Expertise in a 1-on-1 is to play up a character's greater to hit vs AC ratio in order to cause their opponent's chance to hit to become proportionally much lower to their own (in a fight where many people are smacking you, it becomes even more useful, of course), ideally causing any opponent you might possibly be facing to miss you except on a 20, and ICE in combination with increasing ability to purchase defensive items causes that to come true for just about everything you face except bruiser boss monsters. This is a huge problem in many typical situations, especially narrow dungeon corridors or when the ICE player is interposed in front of the squisher party members, and it basically means that the GM cannot expect to challenge the ICE character with mooks, even if the mooks are only 2 or 3 levels below the ICE character. To see an example of ICE in action, trying facing off a Half-Fiend Tyrannosaurus with ICE versus one with the standard Tyrannosaurus feats--the one with ICE will rip the other one into the next world, probably without getting hit while it does so. These are my experiences with allowing a character to take ICE (he once challenged an occupying force that invaded his home city to a duel and won :uhoh: though admittedly Elusive Target helped him out there).

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Rystil Arden said:
That's pretty cool. Any areas for casters? (I suppose perhaps the duel, although I know sometimes in duels magic is discouraged)
Casters vary quite a bit. I'd think it'd be cool if they did magic shows or displays or something like that...

Knight Otu

First Post
Bront said:
Actualy, not everything on the d20srd.org is SRD, some of it is just OGL, like all the Unearthed Arcana stuff. The only official SRD stuff is from Wizards.

So none of this stuff is SRD, therefore technicaly it all needs to be voted on.
I appreciate the scepticism, but I can assure you that, as has already been posted a few times, that these feats are definitely part of the SRD. If that's not enough for you, then maybe the Wizards site will help?

Bront said:
Also of note, at the top of the feats section.
I covered that above.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Knight Otu said:
Mage duels might be part of "my" tournament plan. And quidditch.

Well, propably not quidditch.
Yeah...Zaeryl really wanted to do a Summoner duel versus Sunny, but then two left :(

I don't think either Zaeryl or Lasair would be good at Quidditch--need a Nomad for that :D

Bront

The man with the probe
Kool, they must not be part of the complete file yet then, as they're aren't in the one I have :\

yeah, I saw that well after I posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads