• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

General Discussion

Artur Hawkwing

First Post
A note to all of my players. My posting this week is going to be a bit light as I managed to land a job interview, and my attention is going to be focused on that.

Hope someday to join you in that interview thing, amigo. The position I should have been a shoe in with the (censored) group I'm with now I got a rejection letter from yesterday, not that I didn't know it after the first 30 seconds of the interview. Pressured into interviewing (the 'If you don't do what I say you can be terminated' bit) only to have them hire someone "more qualified"...unless they hired one of the programmers who wrote that crappy piece of junk accounting system for HUD, that'd be near impossible.

Anyway...now that I've vented, good luck, SS21! We're all pulling for ya!

mfloyd3

Explorer
Weird question: An alchemist who wants to expand his formula list can do so by buying scrolls and copying them, as a wizard would. They can use wizard scrolls, and there is a lot of overlap, so this option works to acquire most formulae.

The problem comes in with the unique formulae, like Alchemical Allocation, which do not appear on the wizard's spell list (or anyone else's). Alchemists cannot use scrolls (except via Use Magic Device), so a scroll of Alchemical Allocation is not really castable. Still, can it be purchased for purposes of copying it?

At game level, there should be alchemists willing to sell common formulae (or apprentices willing to deal them under the table), at least to the extent that wizards are.

DalkonCledwin

First Post
the question thus becomes can an Alchemist that exists in a game that allows the feat Scribe Scroll, technically take the feat Scribe Scroll, and thereby enable himself to create scrolls of these unique Alchemical Formulae. If the answer is yes then I would personally see no problem in allowing NPC Alchemists to sell scrolls of these unique alchemical formulae. If the answer is no, then that would seem to me to indicate that the only way to acquire these formulae is via the more traditional method of gaining them by leveling up.

Qik

First Post
Weird question: An alchemist who wants to expand his formula list can do so by buying scrolls and copying them, as a wizard would. They can use wizard scrolls, and there is a lot of overlap, so this option works to acquire most formulae.

The problem comes in with the unique formulae, like Alchemical Allocation, which do not appear on the wizard's spell list (or anyone else's). Alchemists cannot use scrolls (except via Use Magic Device), so a scroll of Alchemical Allocation is not really castable. Still, can it be purchased for purposes of copying it?

At game level, there should be alchemists willing to sell common formulae (or apprentices willing to deal them under the table), at least to the extent that wizards are.

Sorry to let this languish a bit, mfloyd. We all seem to be stumped by your alchemist questions. ;)

I'd assume that there are alchemist scrolls as well, and that they'd be priced as a bard scroll would, since they share the same progression. Seems reasonable to me.

Okay...if this silence keeps up, I'm going to start singing Barry Manilow tunes...and singing them on key!

:D

Alright already! You've got me talkin'. :p

Perhaps we're all just recovering from last months spate of activity. For me personally, I'm entering the do-or-die time of my thesis (due in August), which has cut done on my posting a bit. :frowny face:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads