• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Generalizations the GM can get away with

Ry

Explorer
I like that idea as well; for example, we could combine Manticore and Mummy from my above example into one creature extremely easily, just give it both sets of abilities (and lean back from the strict numeric benefits to boot).

VirgilCaine

First Post
rycanada said:
I'm starting to see some things in the numbers... I'll show some later. Hopefully someone can point me to some more databases for NPCs or more monsters, because that will help a great deal figuring out what this chart would look like.

Restate my assumptions: One, Mathematics is the language of nature. Two, Everything around us can be represented and understood through numbers. Three: If you graph the numbers of any system, patterns emerge. Therefore, there are patterns everywhere in nature.

:lol:

Pbartender

First Post
Rycanada, I just remembered...

Another example to look at would be Spycraft 2.0's NPC creation system. It's a set of charts, one for each statistic -- initiative, attack, defense, resilience (all saves lumped together), damage save/vitality (hitpoints), competence (all skills lumped together), and so on -- one side of the chart has the "Grade" of the statistic and the other axis has the "Threat Level" (a CR analogue).

To create an NPC, you choose the Grade of each statistic, based on how good the NPC should be at each. Increasing a Grade increases the XP award of "defeating" the NPC by a certain amount. Then, you can choose special abilities to add, each of which also add a certain amount of XP award.

When the PCs encounter the creature, you cross reference it's abilities with whatever Threat Level (CR) you deem appropriate and you've got the stats you need.

To take an example from the Spycraft 2.0 rulebook, a zombie might look like:

Zombie (Standard NPC - 36 XP): Init II; Atk V; Def II; Resilience IV; Damage Save VII; Competence I; Qualities: all thumbs, clumsy, construct, damage reduction 5.

Against a 1st level party, it'd look like:
Zombie (Standard NPC - 36 XP): Init +0; Atk +0; Def 10; Resilience +1; Damage Save +9; Competence +0; Qualities: all thumbs, clumsy, construct, damage reduction 5.

Againt a 10th level party, it'd look like:
Zombie (Standard NPC - 36 XP): Init +1; Atk +7; Def 13; Resilience +4; Damage Save +12; Competence +0; Qualities: all thumbs, clumsy, construct, damage reduction 5.

And each player in the party would get (character level x 36) experience points for defeating one zombie... 36 XP each for the first level PCs, or 360 XP each for the tenth level PCs.

There's also a project to convert this NPC creation method to be compatible with D20 Modern and D&D... http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=164910 ...Looks like Adamant Entertainment like be releasing it within a month or so.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads