D&D 5E Generating spellcasters

So it is becoming evident that my monsters need more spellcasting support.

Is there a source for pre-made spellcasters, particularly evils ones, level 9+? I hate to keep tossing identical NPCs at the party, but working up a good spell list is time consuming.

The key is spell lists. I need well-rounded spell lists.

Last edited:

I find that the internet is really full of homebrew stat blocks. The key is to have the right key word.

Try searching on "5e stat block mage", and you'll find a ton.

Having said that, my experience is that it really pays off to review the spells or pre-made NPCs, and change one or two spells to flavor the spellcaster to fit into the adventure.

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
Why do your monsters need more spell support? Do they need more ranged damage, do they need more crowd control, or do you just want to make fights less predictable? The intent of adding the spellcaster would affect what spells would be recommended.

Why do your monsters need more spell support? Do they need more ranged damage, do they need more crowd control, or do you just want to make fights less predictable? The intent of adding the spellcaster would affect what spells would be recommended.

The PC spellcasters are raising havoc. The party is about 8th level, which means a lot of spell slots. I need to bring some AoE and buffs into play to level the playing field.

I find that the internet is really full of homebrew stat blocks. The key is to have the right key word.

Try searching on "5e stat block mage", and you'll find a ton.

Having said that, my experience is that it really pays off to review the spells or pre-made NPCs, and change one or two spells to flavor the spellcaster to fit into the adventure.

Tried that, but most don't have spell lists, which is the part I'm looking for the most.

MonkeezOnFire

Adventurer
Volo's Guide to Monsters included higher level generic humanoids. Notably relevant to you there are mages representing each of the 8 schools of magic, some of them being high CR. At CR 9 you have the necromancer, evoker, and abjurer. At CR 9 there's also a stat block for a war priest which is essentially a paladin: a plate mail wearing warrior with cleric spellcasting up to 5th level spells. Beyond CR 9 you have the archdruid at CR12.

I love the book itself, but if you only want to cherry pick a few stat blocks you can get them individually on DND Beyond.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
You may have to do some work to match up with your PCs too. The party's approach to magic use will at least in part determine what kind of upgrade you want for the monsters. A ton of blaster casters needs a different answer than someone playing a treantmonk style buff and control caster.

Volo's Guide to Monsters included higher level generic humanoids. Notably relevant to you there are mages representing each of the 8 schools of magic, some of them being high CR. At CR 9 you have the necromancer, evoker, and abjurer. At CR 9 there's also a stat block for a war priest which is essentially a paladin: a plate mail wearing warrior with cleric spellcasting up to 5th level spells. Beyond CR 9 you have the archdruid at CR12.

I love the book itself, but if you only want to cherry pick a few stat blocks you can get them individually on DND Beyond.

Not stat blocks, but spell lists.

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
I don't use "classes" for my NPCs, but for spellcasting support I usually use the following:

Shield
Mage Armor (precast)
Magic Missile
Armor of Agathys (skinned to a damage type that suits the caster)
Hellish Rebuke (also skinned)
Web
Silence
Counterspell (oh, do players hate that!)
Fireball (reskinned in damage type and shape to suit the caster, always gets the player's attention)
Haste (when the number of arrows coming at the PCs jumps from 2 to 4, and they ask if there are more archers, and I get to say "No, they're just shooting a lot faster all of a sudden" makes DMing worth it.)
Spirit Guardians (just as annoying when the NPC has it)
Enemies Abound
Greater Invisibility
Banishment
Dimension Door (if you want to save the NPC for another time)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads