Adventurer
Supporter
A little Halloween painting:
IMG_3049 (2).JPG
IMG_3050.JPG

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
After some panic when the unofficial repository of pics of Golden Demon winners went down I managed to salvage at least one picture of a Demon winning fig of mine. This one won Gold in the open category at the Canadian GDs in 2004. Suffice to say I would not be competitive in current GD competitions. The plan was to do a squad. That didn't happen. :p
CAN04_open_1_adam_laforet.jpg

MGibster

Legend
This aboleth. . uh, I mean "Demonic Deep Lurker" came as the large mini in my monthly "Mini in a Box" subscription service. I painted it immediately and then immediately after I took these pics I noticed the smudge of yellow on the lower lip/mouth area. Sigh It has now been fixed.
Nice job! I notice a lot more flaws once I take a photo and look at it. though the yellow smudge didn't look too bad. I just assumed it was part of whatever it ate.

MGibster

Legend
After some panic when the unofficial repository of pics of Golden Demon winners went down I managed to salvage at least one picture of a Demon winning fig of mine. This one won Gold in the open category at the Canadian GDs in 2004. Suffice to say I would not be competitive in current GD competitions. The plan was to do a squad. That didn't happen. :p
I don't see how a Space Marine riding a dinosaur couldn't win. That's a sweet looking figure you made.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
I don't see how a Space Marine riding a dinosaur couldn't win. That's a sweet looking figure you made.
Thanks. Something I'm proud of there is that despite how common it is now, at the time I'd never seen anyone do a Salamander riding a Salamander. It wasn't a super hard conversion, but the thing that I think really makes it (IMO) is that he's looking at his Auspex, not waving a huge weapon or generally being fighty. There's some story there that you sometimes don't get with GW sculpts.

MGibster

Legend
Thanks. Something I'm proud of there is that despite how common it is now, at the time I'd never seen anyone do a Salamander riding a Salamander. It wasn't a super hard conversion, but the thing that I think really makes it (IMO) is that he's looking at his Auspex, not waving a huge weapon or generally being fighty. There's some story there that you sometimes don't get with GW sculpts.
And you point out how that model probably wouldn't win today. It's interesting to note how painting styles and trends have changed over the years. In the 1990s, Space Marines were painted with very bright colors and their bases were a simple goblin green color to simulate grass. In more recent years, oil washes have come into vogue.

MGibster

Legend
Does anybody here paint anything just for the practice? I've been accumulating a lot of leftover parts thinking I might just use them for kitbashing or as basing material. But why not use these pieces as an opportunity to get in a little practice? Perhaps try to new techniques or ideas?

So there's a leftover Imperial Knight arm I didn't have much use for. I wanted to practice making hazard stripes, oil washing, using weathering pigments, and try out some Citadel Contrast paint. (The armor plate with the hazard stripe was attached after painting was completed but before washes and pigments were applied.)

If you use a metallic undercoat, Contrast paints, at least Blood Angels Red, finishes with a metallic sheen after one coat. I based coated the armor plate in black, applied masking tape, using the airbrush threw on a few thin layers of white ink, and followed that up with a few thin layers of Pro Acryl transparent yellow. I then mixed some orange and black oil paint with some enamel thinner to make a wash which I applied the the model. I let it dry for a bit, then used a sponge wetted with enamel thinner to remove the wash from most of the model leaving the nook and crannies dirty. I learned two valuable lessons.

1. Don't use enamel thinner. If you look closely at the picture below you'll see where I stripped the paint down to the plastic. It's most noticeable on the elbow.
2. Use white spirits (odorless is best just so you don't have to smell it).
3. Give oil paints time to dry.

I used some rust colored pigments to add some nice weathering to make it look extra dirty. I ended up using some black pigments to cover up the bare plastic but I don't have a picture of that.

Knight_Arm.JPG

Remove ads