• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Genre Conventions: What is fantasy?

Dannyalcatraz said:
Its well documented that Star Wars is based in an Eastern storytelling tradition: The original story's main inspiration is Akira Kurosawa's "jidai-geki" samurai drama Hidden Fortress ("The episodic story was, of course, eventually borrowed by George Lucas for both the initial plot of Star Wars and the revived Princess Amidala-centered narrative of The Phantom Menace."- [URL="http://www.criterionco.com/asp/release.asp?id=116&eid=125&section=essay]Click this link[/URL] ). How does this become fantasy when the "jidai-geki" genre is, essentially, historical fiction set in Japan's feudal era, Samurai period-piece dramas. The Force is an expansion on the concept of Chi- which I'm sure Japanese would defend as not magic, but a different and scientific (at least in the sense of being able to be systematically taught) understanding of humans' power over their bodies. Yes, its taken over the top as far as reality goes, but its congruent with Shao-Lin legends, and could be considered poetic license, or even as Lucas himself suggested, an extrapolation of a deeper understanding of Chi. Viewed Lucas' way, The Force is no more Fantasy than FTL.
Actually, I'd argue that that is not at all well-documented, nor is it very likely. The Hidden Fortress has only a few superficial similarities (to only the first Star Wars movie, and certainly not to the arc as a whole), especially in terms of the two narrative characters, on whom C-3PO and R2-D2 are sorta based. There's also the common element of a princess to be rescued, but that's extremely common to the point of invalidating any real tie to Hidden Fortress, and the plot and characters, other than the two narrative characters, are completely unlike each other after a certain very early point.

There's no denying that Lucas was influenced by Kurosawa, but that's no call to go saying that Star Wars is nothing more than a samurai tale. For one thing, it ignores the fact that Kurosawa wasn't doing much more than recasting Westerns (in the sense of cowboys and Indians) into historical samurai, Romantic Japan. He was roundly criticised in Japan itself for being way too Western (in the sense of western civilization.)

Zander

Explorer
barsoomcore said:
You CAN define genres based on "trappings". Which is, broadly what JD is doing. It looks like SF, it sounds like SF, it's SF. Whether you describe the trappings as "mechanical" or "plausible" or "derived from a theoretical framework", you're deciding which texts fit into which genres according to the trappings of the text, as opposed to the themes or "meanings" (can we just pretend those terms aren't problematic, for a second?) of the STORY (and once more, thanks).

That's a perfectly valid way to divide books into groups.
I agree though, as I stated in the thread that informed this one, that's only part of it.
barsoomcore said:
My question is, is there a TYPE OF STORY that all (or a reasonable subset of) fantasy stories make use of? Is there some quality to the stories that we generally call fantasy (as opposed to the settings, or the prose style or what have you) that distinguishes them from other stories? And if so, is that quality universally found in all stories we generally call fantasy, or only some subset thereof? And are stories that we generally DON'T call fantasy also demonstrating this quality?
Andor seems to have addressed these questions:
Andor said:
What is fantasy? I'd say it is something that has one, some or all of the following elements:

The supernatural. The distinction between the supernatural and technology being that the supernatural can never be fully understood or controlled....

A backward looking aesthetic. If the glories of the past can never be reached, but only dreamed of, if progress is only illusion, then the work is fantasy (And anti-thetical to the central trope of SF.)

Heros. Individuals can shape the course of events by sheer willpower/chutzpah/coolness.

The trappings of Fantasy. These being magic (howeverso mechanical it may be), fantastic creatures(dragons, griffons, talking corgis), anachronistic elements (like 14th century technology, 12th century politics, and 20th century morality), non-human sentients, etc...
I would add that fantasy is triumphalist. In other words, the reader/gamer derives pleasure from vicariously succeeding in contrast to sci-fi where pleasure derives primarily from the exploration of ideas or horror which is vicarious fear. Triumphalism isn't found uniquely in fantasy but does characterise most works in the genre.

Zander said:
I would add that fantasy is triumphalist. In other words, the reader/gamer derives pleasure from vicariously succeeding in contrast to sci-fi where pleasure derives primarily from the exploration of ideas or horror which is vicarious fear. Triumphalism isn't found uniquely in fantasy but does characterise most works in the genre.
Huh? Plenty of fantasy is dark and horror-driven, and plenty of sci-fi is utopian and bright in outlook, which has been pointed out many times in this thread.

I do realize that the definition I espouse isn't all that cerebral; it's a "working" definition rather than a "literary" one, as someone (I believe Wayside) said earlier. And as Corey says, it's not necessarily all that interesting except in terms of where do you shelve the book in your hand.

But it's gotta be the baseline. Any other definition, in order to work, must not
  1. contradict the working definition,
  2. be too inclusive and admit plenty of works that are not fantasy by the standards of the working definition, and
  3. be too exclusive; fail to admit works that the working definition does consider fantasy.
Because much of the gray area around the working area is overlap or deliberate hybrids with science fiction, that's been the focus of much of the discussion here, but many of these alternate definitions, especially those you've proposed, Zander, are especially guilty of the second flaw mentioned above, and not even necessarily with just sci-fi leakage as the culprit.

Heck, I don't think any of the proposed solutions match the baseline "working definition", without tons of exceptions that are considered fantasy by baseline but not by the definition, or no clear-cut match between what is fantasy and what is simply some other type of fiction altogether. Which is why, ultimately, I can't accept them. They may be interesting; they may be more cerebral; they may really say something about some works of fantasy, but they ultimately fail to pass any reasonable standard as a definition of the genre, and what separates it from other related genres.

Oh, and as a pet peeve to no one in particular, but since I've seen it a lot in this thread; the plural of genre is genres. Genera is the plural of genus. Since no one has proposed, to my knowledge, a Linnean classification system, or even a cladistic one, for that matter, for fiction, any discussion of genera has nothing to do with the topic at hand... ;)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Re:Kurosawa/Star Wars connection:
Actually, I'd argue that that is not at all well-documented, nor is it very likely.

Well, the best online source for this has evaporated- it went into the various sources Lucas used...but these still remain.
http://www.digitallyobsessed.com/showrevpdf.php3?ID=1221
http://www.enlightenweb.net/s/st/star_wars.html
http://movies2.nytimes.com/gst/movies/movie.html?v_id=46636&inline=nyt_ttl
http://www.movie-list.com/forum/printthread.php?t=5855

Star Wars is the only one in which I see any connection myself.

To clarify my own position: I DO consider SF/F as genres distinct from other literary genres, though not neccessarily distinct from each other. My insistence about "settings/trappings" stems from what was well stated here:

Any other definition, in order to work, must not

1. contradict the working definition,
2. be too inclusive and admit plenty of works that are not fantasy by the standards of the working definition, and
3. be too exclusive; fail to admit works that the working definition does consider fantasy.

Because much of the gray area around the working area is overlap or deliberate hybrids with science fiction, that's been the focus of much of the discussion here, but many of these alternate definitions, especially those you've proposed, Zander, are especially guilty of the second flaw mentioned above, and not even necessarily with just sci-fi leakage as the culprit.

And we keep finding exceptions to each definition we propose...plot driven? concepts? For example:

Andor, defining Fantasy, exerpt
...A backward looking aesthetic. If the glories of the past can never be reached, but only dreamed of, if progress is only illusion, then the work is fantasy (And anti-thetical to the central trope of SF.)

...Heros. Individuals can shape the course of events by sheer willpower/chutzpah/coolness.

Historical fiction and a branch of sci-fi called alternate history, can both be backwards looking. As I mentioned before, a lot of Japanese non-Fantasy deals with the loss of their warrior culture and what it means for the modern Japanese.

A Hero can appear in any kind of fiction- Miles Flint of Kristine Kathryn Rusch's Retreival Artist books is a classic hero, right down to his name. And you will find no supernatural events within those books. They are Hard Sci-Fi.

None so far has proven more exclusive beyond the admittedly shallow "settings/trappings"- and even THAT has exceptions. At the very least, Phillip K. Dick has written several fantasies set in futuristic settings.

The key may be that we are trying to be exclusive when exclusivity may not be possible. Literary genres are not as exclusive as Linnean classification systems.

Perhaps we should instead gravitate towards a definition that deals with shadings...The Majoritiy of sci fi is _____________. The Majority of Fantasy is _______________.

Last edited:

Now Josua, correct me if I'm missing something, but wasn't the working definition you were working with recognizing Sci-fi as a sub-genre of fantasy?

In that case are there really gray areas or just confusions as to the hierarchy of the genres in question?

Personally I'd say there's far more literariness to the working definition than people are willing to recognize, it's just that works on a very macro level of litariness. The sort of level where plot is simply one consideration among many rather than even a privileged much less paramount consideration.

Wayside

Explorer
Dannyalcatraz said:
Its an argument that cuts both ways. Assume that a particular sci-fi or fantasy novel can be considered to be a fully realized representative of another genre, distinguished only by its setting. Assume also that you can find similar sci-fi or fantasy novels invading most other genres. You assert that this invalidates sci-fi and fantasy as distinct genres because they aren't doing something unique. However, by the mere existence of a novel that is both fully sci-fi and fully a romance (for example), then the genre of ROMANCE as well is no longer doing something unique. To expand the argument- any prose that successfully bridges 2 or more genres destroys each genre's uniqueness by its very existence by cross germination of features.
I assert it invalidates them because there's nothing left to talk about but scenery. Assuming SF can fully realize another genre, like tragedy, doesn't invalidate tragedy unless you define SF as tragedy and not something distinct that can be added to it. I don't think most narratives are exclusive of one another, so I'm not arguing they can't be mixed; indeed I've said that, on the contrary, I doubt anything like a pure narrative exists. SF should be perfectly capable of incorporating other sorts of narratives, but it should also have some kind of narrative of its own. If SF is nothing but a container for other narratives then there is no point to it because SF, as such, does not exist; it's merely a backdrop, it has no content. It's a surface, a facade. (And that also means, among other things, that people who read SF because they like SF are a little confused.)

Joshua made a very interesting point about the usefulness of this conversation in regards to roleplaying, although I would say it isn't totally absurd, as he suggests--I'm thinking here of the discussion about core stories in Mike Mearls' LJ. Core stories are probably something we should have been hammering out here from the beginning, though I continue to believe that a genre changes over time, and that the unity of the genre is constituted historically in the reasons it emerges and is transformed, and not by a single, transhistorical definition that will last for eternity.

Dannyalcatraz said:
But we know that cannot be the case. There are innumerable works that cross genres of all kinds, yet we still feel that those genres are extant. Genres are not so neatly defined as species.
Of course this is true. But the genre crossing isn't like cross-dressing: you don't swap out a surface yet retain fundamentally the same content. When you mix tragedy and epic, you don't disguise one with the other.

Dannyalcatraz said:
You've got dragons and necromancy, what more do you want?
Heh, if I could answer that, there would be no reason to continue the thread :p .

Dannyalcatraz said:
How about the fact that in at least one region of the world, the Gods of a particular nation push back the necromantic spells powered by the slaughter of innocent Kaunians (the race analogous to Jews) upon its wielders, slaying them: Direct divine intervention in the form of immediate retribution. That do anything for you? The weapon that otherwise works has the rules of the game voided on it. How about later magics that depend on "bargains with the powers below?"
Nope, none of that strikes me as unique to fantasy.

Dannyalcatraz said:
Well, I can honestly say that I too, know of a SF/F story in which an artist grows from novice to master. There are analogous plotlines, however
I don't think analogous is enough. Part of the artist's growth is the creation of art, which in turn digs back into life. There's nothing comparable in a story about magic or strategy. Those are bildungsromans, certainly. (Depending on what sort of posthumanist literature is out there, SF may even get into all this stuff, unless we distinguish between SF and posthumanism.)

Dannyalcatraz said:
Re: Flaubert's Parrot:

Blame a shoddy reviewer, then. Tell me more about it.
Oh I was aware, I've seen such reviews before. The basic idea is that the narrator, Geoffrey Braithwaite, is a Francophile in search of the parrot Flaubert used as a model for his story "Un coeur simple." What actually goes on is amazingly complex so I won't try to sum it up, but it's a short book that you could easily read in an evening, with hardly a wasted sentence; one of the best books of the second half of the 20th century, actually. But it's also structurally odd: one chapter is a dictionary, one is a Ph.D. qualifying exam, one is a series of timelines and so on.

Dannyalcatraz said:
Re: Kushiel:

Its definitely not as graphic as the Marquis' own work, but even though handled with a lighter touch, I'm sure he would find the divinely masochistic courtesan to be an interesting woman- possibly even his unreachable ideal.
Graphic is not necessarily what I'm looking for, though it meets the imagery requirement and seems useful in this case. I suppose my problem is that I imagine books like the Kushiel series being filtered through a standard interpretation of Sadist literature, and having no real affinity with that literature itself--being a victim of, for example, psychoanalysis, which among other things wants to blunt or pacify Sadism by making it not only meaningful but straightforward, even natural. In order for something contemporary to be Sadist, I think, it has to escape the accepted interpretations of earlier Sadism, has to become crooked again, unnatural, beyond pop-psychology and all that. This is why I emphasized earlier that I think hard definitions of SF or F won't work, because we have to take their historicality into account.

I'll skip quoting your comments on tragedy and simply use that idea to illustrate what I mean here: there is no unity, in the sense of the quote you use, to tragic narrative. Sophokles and Seneca have little in common (and Shakespeare, rather than being a writer of tragedies in ye olde Greek fashion, was a Senecan). There is hardly any unity, in fact, between the tragedies of the three original greats, or between most groups of contemporaries, like Shakesepare and Kyd and Tourneur/Middleton. For Chaucer and other medieval authors yes, de casibus tragedy was it, but before and after them theory of tragedy has been considerably more nuanced. Episode III tries very hard to be a tragedy, to the point that Aristotle's name should almost be in the credits, and strictly, I should probably say that it missed out on tragedy precisely because it ignored contemporary tragedy, like Arthur Miller or Bryony Lavery; but at the same time, Star Wars doesn't have anything to do (in any purposeful way) with what's going in the arts today. That is, it's supposed to be looking back to these old narratives, so for me it still works. What I like about Dune though is that it isn't a simple repetition of archetypal garbage--in fact it nullifies the notion of the collective unconscious by giving the main characters unmediated access to all of history. Rather than preserving history by compressing it into a set number of built-in narratives and repetitions, the way we are trying to do with genres here, history is almost unmade, almost destroyed, because, at least for these characters, it has no past--it is presently experienced. And in Dune this absolute unlocking of (a fantasy of) human potential itself constitutes the ultimate tragedy, which is now much more than the simple archetype of Tiresias, "to know the future is to be trapped by it." Instead, with Leto II, we get something like "to create the future is to be trapped by one's own creation and to sacrifice oneself to the possibility of what one may become." And the goal, which requires Leto's sacrifice, is the possibility of living free of either past or future.

Dr. Strangemonkey said:
Now Josua, correct me if I'm missing something, but wasn't the working definition you were working with recognizing Sci-fi as a sub-genre of fantasy?
I'm not sure that I've ever seen it so described. If it were up to me to decide, I'd say that science fiction and fantasy are both two sides of the same figurative coin; two closely related genres that both come under the heading of speculative fiction. Of course, both also have numerous subgenres of their own, and it's largely in those subgenres that much of the overlap between them occurs.

But that's just me. I don't know what anyone else says about that, per se.

Wayside said:
Joshua made a very interesting point about the usefulness of this conversation in regards to roleplaying, although I would say it isn't totally absurd, as he suggests--I'm thinking here of the discussion about core stories in Mike Mearls' LJ. Core stories are probably something we should have been hammering out here from the beginning, though I continue to believe that a genre changes over time, and that the unity of the genre is constituted historically in the reasons it emerges and is transformed, and not by a single, transhistorical definition that will last for eternity.
No, absurd was probably too strong a word. Still, difficult verging on impossible, though. Core stories are well and good as an extremely speculative theory, but despite the core stories implicit in a setting, other fantasy settings may have completely different core stories, or GMs may ignore them and run some other type of story altogether anyway.

And I'm not entirely convinced that --even were I to accept the notion of a core story, which at this point I'm leaning against-- that the core stories of Greyhawk, or FR, or Talislanta, or Planescape, etc. are encapsulated by anything that I've seen in this thread as a narrative structure unique to fantasy. I'll have to give that some more thought, though. I'm sceptical for now, but there's at least an interesting discussion to be had in that direction, if nothing else.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
A story of the Great American Range War.

A young man, part of a family of frontier farmers, come into conflict with the thugs and bullies of a local, powerful rancher in yet another series of skirmishes.

The rancher, in turn is the right hand man of a corrupt state senator who is secretly a Railroad Baron. Through his agents' bullying, he's buying up land acquired for both his railway and making money in the cattle business.

The farmers take up whatever arms they can to prevent the rancher from forcing them off their land, led by the charismatic young man, who dynamites the rails and trestle just as the "West Star" train full of the Rail Baron's thugs is rolling into town, destroying it and all aboard. The young man, who is a natural gunslinger, challenges the rancher to a duel.

The rancher, also a formidable shot, turns out to be the young boy's father...the revelation of which causes the young man to hesitate, and he gets shot in the hand.

Sound familiar?

I did this to ask explicitly what I've been puzzling at for some time in this thread: If a storyteller takes a plotline from one genre into another, does that story remain irrevocably part of the original genre regardless of the storyteller's alteration?

I ask this because there seems to be a line of thought in this thread that would say yes. (Various persons who feel that because they see an archetypal fantasy storyline in Star Wars, Star Wars must be fantasy, and as must be obvious by now, I beg to differ! :) )

It is, I feel, an important question, considering how many writers retell the stories of others. Niven retells Beowulf in Legacy of Heorot and Beowulf's Children while Crighton does it in 13th Warrior, Rodenberry retells Moby Dick in Wrath of Kahn and retraces Pinnochio in the character Data, Disney's Lion King retells Hamlet. (Shakespeare, as has been pointed out before, is a common target for retelling...)

So: Once a story has been told in a particular genre, can it ever be transformed into anything else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyalcatraz
How about the fact that in at least one region of the world, the Gods of a particular nation push back the necromantic spells powered by the slaughter of innocent Kaunians (the race analogous to Jews) upon its wielders, slaying them: Direct divine intervention in the form of immediate retribution.

Nope, none of that strikes me as unique to fantasy.

Please- show me another literary form outside of fantasy or its forbears in epic poetry, mythology and theology where GOD/S alter the way the universe works in order to save their followers and lay low the faithfull's attackers.

From Wayside
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyalcatraz
Well, I can honestly say that I too, know of a SF/F story in which an artist grows from novice to master. There are analogous plotlines, however

I don't think analogous is enough. Part of the artist's growth is the creation of art, which in turn digs back into life...)

I would argue that Ged/Sparrowhawk from LeGuin's Earthsea series does just that. The character who becomes the Archmage starts as utter novice. He learns magery, first tutored by a local mage, then at the great school of Roke Island. Along his path of increasing power, you see him alter from impatience, impetuousness and brash behavior (such as when he tries to go beyond the wall of death and summon a spirit from beyond because of a dare) to a wise and powerful man who understands that restraint is as much a part of life as action. Eventually, he surrenders all of his power to become a farmer.

Not only does the man change, but the way he shapes power evolves as well. His early uses of power are direct, cause-and-effect type spells. Later, he uses magic without even seeming to. Rather than using a bludgeon of raw power, he instead wields magic like a scalpel. Rather than trading arcane blows with an ancient dragon, he converses with it as an equal...or a brother. Where most storytellers would have an immense battle, LeGuin's Ged defuses the conflict.

In a crude sense, this guy goes from being "Tim" to being "Gandalf."

Dannyalcatraz said:
I did this to ask explicitly what I've been puzzling at for some time in this thread: If a storyteller takes a plotline from one genre into another, does that story remain irrevocably part of the original genre regardless of the storyteller's alteration?

I ask this because there seems to be a line of thought in this thread that would say yes. (Various persons who feel that because they see an archetypal fantasy storyline in Star Wars, Star Wars must be fantasy, and as must be obvious by now, I beg to differ! :) )
And I've tried to come at this obliquely as well; I also disagree. Plotlines are often easily transferrable from one genre to another for certain types of genres. Granted, some genres are defined by narrative structure: it's hard to imagine transferring the plotline of a Shakespearean tragedy into a sitcom without actually changing the narrative, but I firmly believe, and have stated so earlier, that science fiction and fantasy are largely defined by elements of the settings in which they take place rather than by narrative structure. This isn't unique to science fiction or fantasy either; Westerns, or any historical fiction, for that matter, are the same. That's why I'm sceptical of the line of discussion that talks about persistent themes or narrative structures in fantasy. They may be present; they may even be extremely common. But they are not strictly required and with even a little scratching, it's not too hard to find works that don't fit the narrative paradigm, or don't focus on the same themes. Therefore, we're not talking about anything that can be said definitively about fantasy. We're only talking --again-- about a subset of fantasy.
Dannyalcatraz said:
(Shakespeare, as has been pointed out before, is a common target for retelling...)
Not to mention a shameless borrower himself, for that matter. Hamlet, which you use in your example, is a retelling of the story of Amleth, which is an old Danish story from the Gesta Danorum of Saxo Grammaticus. And likely, it was and old tale when old Saxo put it on paper for the first time as well.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads