George R.R. Martin novel news

Eosin the Red

First Post
Darthjaye said:
I equate this best to another form of entertainment........SNIPPAGE.

In general I agree with you but a few works have shown me that it can be done and done well. I really dislike Kevin Anderson's writing style but will be one of the first to admit that he did some amazing stuff with the recent revival of the DUNE series. A large section of my friends are Dune fanatics and their praise finally made me relent off the position of "No Kevin Anderson, not now, not ever" and I am glad I did. I am sure their are folks out their who hate the new Dune series just as there are folks who hate the LotR movies but my small subjective sampling of some Dune freaks tells me it was well recieved.

In specific, I think works like aSof&I, Dune, SoT, LotR, & WOT should pass into the great beyond with their maker. They are wonderfully crafted visions that are a bit too broad to be mastered by someone who is both an excellent (or passible) author and dedicated enough to own the subject.

Harmon

First Post
BlackSilver said:
Has anyone seen a thread about favorite characters?

I am curious about who would be the favorite of most.

To my knowledge- no.

I would have to say Arya and Jon are my favorites with Ghost bringing up a close third place.

Dagger75

Epic Commoner
BlackSilver said:
Has anyone seen a thread about favorite characters?

I am curious about who would be the favorite of most.

There have been a few already. They contain tons and tons of spoilers.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
ssampier said:
Incestuous sex is "classy"? I agree, with you, though -- sorta. Book Three had more blatant sex between Tyrion and his paid "love".

No no no. You're missing the point.

Telling me that people are doin' it is plot and character related. That's classy.

Telling me how they are doin' it is more information than I need (unless it's plot or character related, which is arguable in some cases).

Books 1 & 2 were IMNSHO clearly the former, while Book 3 had several instances of the latter. I thought the Tyrion scenes were kind of sweet, actually... and I think it's important that she calls him a "giant", just as he was called early in the 1st book (back on the Wall, by Maester Aemon).

I can recount some specifics if anyone cares, but I'd rather drop it.

-- N

ssampier

First Post
Nifft said:
No no no. You're missing the point.

Telling me that people are doin' it is plot and character related. That's classy.

Telling me how they are doin' it is more information than I need (unless it's plot or character related, which is arguable in some cases).

Books 1 & 2 were IMNSHO clearly the former, while Book 3 had several instances of the latter. I thought the Tyrion scenes were kind of sweet, actually... and I think it's important that she calls him a "giant", just as he was called early in the 1st book (back on the Wall, by Maester Aemon).

I can recount some specifics if anyone cares, but I'd rather drop it.

-- N

I suppose I could buy that. I hope Martin tones down the sex a bit. I don't mind it, but I don't want his fantasy novel turning into a Romance Novel.

RaceBannon42

First Post
Wow, Its really enlightening to see what some people take from a book compared to others.
While I certainly agree that ASOIAF is gritty and even graphic, I've never seen anything that I consider Gratuitous. Sure many of the scenes would be out of place in a Drizzt novel, but they fit in perfectly in what Martin has created. IMO the world of Westeros is one of the most realistic I've ever read in fantasy. The "heros" all are flawed, the "villians" have redeaming qualities. Having said that everyone has different tastes.

I am eagerly awaiting my UK version of AFFC, hopefully it will arive before the US version is released.

BlackSilver

First Post
RaceBannon42 said:
IMO the world of Westeros is one of the most realistic I've ever read in fantasy. The "heros" all are flawed, the "villians" have redeaming qualities. Having said that everyone has different tastes.

The characters are three dimensional (by that I mean they appear to be someone that could be real). It is that feeling, and that characterization that has drawn me back to read the three books more then once and have the audio of all three.

Remove ads