• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

George RR Martin still writing?

My point is the writing -- the creative expression of ideas in a written form -- is distinct from either typing or editing. And creatively expressing ideas in written form is hard, whether typed or longhand, long before you ever get to the point of editing.
I think you're confusing disagreement with misunderstanding.

I, at least, understand perfectly what you're saying. I just disagree. It's easy to write. It's even easy to write coherent, decent prose.

Writing exactly what you want; yeah, that can be harder.

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
I think you're confusing disagreement with misunderstanding.

I, at least, understand perfectly what you're saying. I just disagree. It's easy to write. It's even easy to write coherent, decent prose.

Writing exactly what you want; yeah, that can be harder.

I don't see that we're disagreeing, though I'd say its hard to even get a close approximation of exactly what you want to say.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
This unfinished series is why I don't buy books that are part of series that aren't done. He broke the social contract he had with me, and I no longer trust any writer to finish their work. Also, I no longer trust any book to come out close to the release of the previous book.

So, his delay in completing what he promised broke not only his implied agreement with me (that he'd finish the books in a timely manner so I could read them and enjoy them), but he broke that so hard that I pretty much refuse to buy books that aren't self contained anymore unless the whole series is published.

Darth Shoju

First Post
Is a teacher unfair and presumptuous because she simply assumes "the dog ate my homework" is an excuse? Fairness dictates that you are obliged tp take everyone on their word unless you have direct evidence to the contrary?

It is not presumptuous to place a finite limit on benefit of the doubt. Reason dictates that credibility eventually gets used up. That's perfectly fair.

Now, has Martin enjoyed sufficient time to produce, or does he still have some benefit of the doubt to burn? That's where opinions vary.

I think you've written yourself a pretty generous definition of "direct evidence".

Has he burned up his goodwill? Sure, he clearly has with a number of people. I have no problem with someone saying "this is taking too long, and I don't feel that you are respecting how frustrating this is for me, so I'm not buying any more of your books." I do have a problem with people assuming that he has absolutely no interest in finishing a series that he has been contracted to complete, and is his magnum opus. That's making a big assumption about his character, and an unwarranted one in my opinion.

There are many reasons for why he hasn't finished the next book that don't make him out to be a liar and in breach of his contract.

Last edited:

I don't see that we're disagreeing, though I'd say its hard to even get a close approximation of exactly what you want to say.
Well, that's where we're disagreeing.
There are many reasons for why he hasn't finished the next book that don't make him out to be a liar and in breach of his contract.
Either that phrase is missing a "could" of "might be" or you know something that nobody else posting in this thread seems to. Are there reasons he's not written it yet after announcing two years ago that he had it almost complete?

Klaus

First Post
Yes, there are reasons. If there weren't reasons then it would be done.
Not the least of which could be "he wrote himself into a corner".

The whole "slicing Dance With Dragons in half and padding the halves up" thing has done more harm than good to his series. IMHO, he might have had more success in trimming down DwD or pushing some of the final chapters into the next book.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads