• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

gestalt characters

Vurt

First Post
What specifically are your questions about it?

It's a good option if you don't have many players in your group, or you want to "power up" your campaign, but it also tends to be a fair bit more work for the DM to rebalance threat levels.

Cheers,
Vurt

Voadam

Legend
Yes.

I played in a pbp campaign where we used that and high stats to create high powered characters in a low wealth situation. We started out as jail breakers with almost nothing. My wolf barbarian/wilderness rogue started out with just a shiv at 5th level and had a lot of fun while the game lasted.

focallength

First Post
just wanted to hear any experiences anyone had basically. A friend of mine wants to run a 2 player game with gestalt characters. A rogue base espionage game.

Voadam

Legend
You are a little higher power but not spectacularly so. Even a potent sorcerer druid can still only cast one spell a round. Wizards and sorcerers are still hampered by arcane spell failure, fighter going with warrior will add bonus feats but not much else. Gestalt allows a much more competent multiclass caster because you don't have to sacrifice caster levels or spells known. It gets a little tricky if you want to add in prestige classes like mystic theurge and most ban the multiclass fix prcs in gestalt games. It is a simple way to ramp up PC power for heroic play. Normal D&D is already heroic, this is just a matter of degree, not a change in kind for how things feel.

High stats and character wealth are other easy ways to ramp up character power for more superheroic power levels.

Apok

First Post
Having played in a couple of different Gestalt games, I've found that having Gestalt characters makes them more capable rather than more overtly powerfull. They are great for building unusual or hard to design concepts that are mechanically effective (ie, a stealthy Fighter that actually works without burning every single skill point).

The only realy downside to Gestalt games that I've seen is that, depending on the number of players, the idea of 'niche protection' can break down, especially if you have characters with very similiar skill point distributions. Because of this I tend to be much more lenient on allowing new core classes from the Complete books and other sources. Getting everyone together for a big character-making session helps to minimize niche crossover as well, since the players can make sure they aren't stepping on each other's toes.

There are a couple of exceptions to this; you can always use extra combatants, healers, and blaster-casters, but how many Uber-Diplomats, Demon-Banishers, or Trapmonkeys do you really need in a party?

Cintra

First Post
Gestalting works great for just a couple of characters, and can be fun even for a group up to four or so. (More people would probably be less fun, as you'd have too much overlap between individual PC's abilities.)

Gestalt characters have more flexibility at any given moment. However, you shouold expect that your gestalt character will be slightly less good at specific class-based things than a single-class character. For example, your skill points and feats have to be selected to support both of your classes, so you might not be able to get all the feats you think you need. Likewise, your magic items will be divided between things to support both character classes.

We've done a couple of different gestalt campaigns, one with four characters, the other with just two. Especially if you'll have just two characters, I recommend increasing the rate at which feats are gained (maybe one every 2 levels instead of every 3), and increasing the money each character has at a given level.

On the other hand, you'll generally be fighting creatures that are a couple CR higher than you otherwise would. When determining XPs gained each session, I recommend subtracting one or two from your character level, and one or two from the CR of the critters you fight, to keep from leveling up to quickly. (Determining whether one or two works best requires experimentation and your group's decision on how fast you want to level up.)

RSKennan

Explorer
How do you guys handle the damage-dealing to save/BAB ratio? My understanding is that when an arcane caster has almost twice as many fireballs 'balance' can break down, and that some GMs might want to raise the CR to compensate, which leads to a quick death. The PCs get too big for their breeches- they can deal flaming death, but have less (proportionate) ability to take it over the long term.

It seems to me that Gestalt is unstable. it advances unevenly; the character's special abilities explode while Saves and BAB are capped, even though they're more in line with everyone else.

I like the idea, and am using it in a game with trusted people, but I had to stop using it in a project I'm working on because it was too unpredictable. It also seemed to encourage min-maxing, as some (unusual and not particularly flavorful) combos are more optimal than others.

Am I right? If not, how?

Damionte

Explorer
I'm the GM for the OP's gestalt campaign. I too was concerned about feats so had decided to give feats every two levels instead of every four as well.

Remove ads