Gestalt Rules

Would you allow a character, useing gestalt rules, to play a Warlock/Dragonfire Adept?
Dragonfire Adept comes from "Dragon Magic", page 24. They are mechanically similar to the Warlock. The question is, are they to similar to be used together? Any thoughts would be helpful. Thank you. :)

Zelc

First Post
There's nothing illegal about such a character under the normal gestalt rules, although I can't imagine it being very powerful at all.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Sure, why not? Same justification as a Fighter // Monk: you're free to suck, if you insist on sucking.

A better build would be to pick one or the other, and do something complementary with the other side. A Druid // Dragonfire Adept, Sorcerer // Dragonfire Adept, Barbarian // Dragonfire Adept, Paladin // Dragonfire Adept or even Monk // Dragonfire Adept would be more effective.

Cheers, -- N

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
Nifft said:
Sure, why not? Same justification as a Fighter // Monk: you're free to suck, if you insist on sucking.

A better build would be to pick one or the other, and do something complementary with the other side.

Let me just amplify this. Because you're limited in actions you can take, it's best to take two classes that complement each other. Sure, the allure of more invocations is heady, but really, there just aren't that many good ones. Good off-classes include Fighter, Rogue, Scout, and Barbarian, because they bring passive abilities that generally work on your main action.

I currently have a whisper gnome Scout // Warlock, and throw really really really large Eldritch Blasts. The extra mobility, feats, and skills help greatly.

Edit: Looking at Dragonfire Adept, you're helpless as a kitten outside of 60'. That's something you'll want to rectify. Sorcerer or Warmage will leverage your Charisma bonus nicely and provide extra range; Sorcerer is more adaptable, Warmage is just more fun (IMHO) but limits you to damage. Alternately, take Paladin and get extra HP and use that DR and natural armor you get from Dragonfire Adept.

Brad

Last edited:

ardentmoth

Explorer
To echo the others' words, It is usually wise to pick complimentary but quite different skills.

I remember a druid//barbarian that was absolutely the best in-melee fighter i've ever seen. Shillelagh, change shape, rage, great hd...

warlock//df adept, to sum up, probably is too closely related to gestalt, but wow, talk about flavor!

Nifft

Penguin Herder
cignus_pfaccari said:
Sorcerer or Warmage will leverage your Charisma bonus nicely and provide extra range; Sorcerer is more adaptable, Warmage is just more fun (IMHO) but limits you to damage.
The big pull for Sorcerers are all those lovely breath-weapon enhancing spells.

That, and utility spells.

Cheers, -- N

ardentmoth

Explorer
i saw someone using gestalt classes but only for racial paragon and other similar race-theme classes...apparently it worked out very well. a typical elf ranger/fighter would look like:
elf paragon//ranger/fighter
which i thought was a little odd, but hey, he figured out how to swing it just fine.

Remove ads