• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Get Rid of Splatbooks Altogether

Incenjucar

Legend
Don't be obtuse.

A player can just as easily look at a monster manual or DMG or published adventure and do the same thing.

And, easily solved by having an index of the new stuff at the end for the players to view. Lots of RPGs have DM's section and player's section.

Yes, but that is the player actively seeking to purchase DM-specific material.

There is a huge difference between the two.

BeholderBurger

First Post
The major problem is the audience generally prefers buying splatbooks to adventures.

Look at the OGL days. The vast majority of 3rd party products were splatbooks,

WotC doesn't sell splatbooks because they hate us. They sell splatbooks because that's what we buy.

One could easily say that we buy splatbooks because thats what they sell. I have many splatbooks of varying quality for several editions but stopped a while back because they became boring and essentially replaced the production of quality fluff so to speak. This was due to decisions made beyond any of our control. Eventually I just felt like some balance should return to the marketplace and I stopped indulging in their splat wares. I am thankful at least that some others also see it this way.

Incenjucar

Legend
Except, if that player is also a DM...

When DMs are also players, there are unfortunate issues like this which cannot be avoided. I don't see a reason to compound the problem by making DMs purchase player material and making players purchase DM material.

P1NBACK

Banned
Banned
One could easeily say that we buy splatbooks because thats what they sell. I have many splatbooks of varying quality for several editions but stopped a while back because they became boring and essentially replaced the production of quality fluff so to speak. This was due to decisions made beyond any of our control. Eventually I just felt like some balance should return to the marketplace and I stopped indulging in their splat wares. I am thankful at least that some others also see it this way.

I agree. But, I think we are in the minority (based on the reception of this idea). :)

I personally never buy splatbooks. The only reason I had access to 4E splat was because of DDI (which also had my DM tools).

Greg K

Legend
No thanks. I will take good splatbooks for tailoring my campaign. I will not buy adventures.

For races and classes, I consider the 2e race and class splats dedicated to single race or class to be a good format and I will support them. If the format is either a) the 3e Complete [x] or Races of [Y] or b) 4e PHB2 or Power Books, I will skip them. This assumes that I buy into 5e.

BeholderBurger

First Post
I think fundementally my problem with splatbooks, as a player as well a DM, is that they are full of rather pointless feats and abilities that are rarely inspiring. That is why I eventually stopped buying them. Well thought out spells and equipment I can dig but expanding forever the feats and abilities is rubbish as far as I'm concerned.

Remove ads