• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Get Rid of Splatbooks Altogether

the Jester

Legend
4e DDI is generally a good deal, is it not?

That's highly debatable- I let my sub lapse back when DDI was at its lowest point and I still haven't been motivated to re-subscribe.

IF DDI produces good quality content every month that doesn't interfere with existing print products (e.g. the endless errata train), then it's a good deal for some groups.

If DDI is anything but a fully optional supplement, though, it sucks. I don't want to refer to electronic media at the table, ever, nor do I want my players to have their heads in a screen instead of in the game. Further, one of the worst things about DDI for 4e is how groups depend on it won't ever use house ruled items, paragon paths, powers etc. because the Character Builder won't integrate them (at least, as of the last time I inquired about it). I've heard the argument that DDI actually discourages creativity, and I have to reluctantly agree- because I know groups that don't have any custom anything because they rely on DDI exclusively for character building and the like. No group has to function this way, but quite a few 4e groups choose to.

Also, DDI encourages overly complex rule systems, because it's easier to let the computer track the minutiae. But overly complex systems are a pain in the butt at the table, and without those electronic tools they practically ensure that character sheets have the wrong numbers in many places.

So- is DDI a good value? On a good month, if you are willing to accept electronic tools as a must have, sure. If you aren't, then it's almost more of a pain in the butt than it is worth.

Ratinyourwalls

First Post
Unfortunately WotC likes making money too much for them to do so. There will be splatbooks. It's about time people got used to that. As long as WotC is in charge of D&D that won't change.

Hussar

Legend
Unfortunately WotC likes making money too much for them to do so. There will be splatbooks. It's about time people got used to that. As long as WotC is in charge of D&D that won't change.

Just as a point, why would you single out WOTC for this? WOTC's publications for 3e, 3.5 and 4e combined don't even come close to equaling the number of publications that TSR pumped out for 2e.

As far as splat treadmill goes, the cycle has been getting slower and slower as time goes on.

Of course, that leads to people complaining that there aren't enough books coming out fast enough. :uhoh: Kinda catch-22.

But, you'd think that after 30 years of splatbooks, people would be pretty used to this.

Last edited:

Drowbane

First Post
No thanks, really. *If* WotC manages to make 5e worth my time (on the fence so far), and then also manages to make *good* modules, I will still want my extra material (classes, races, feats, spells, whatever) to come in seperate books. And then I will be far less likely to buy a splat-book unseen as I was with 3e.

WotC will have to impress me for me to spend a dime on 5e.

Edit: ... ok, I might buy into this idea if it was down with a Boxset. For those of you who do not remember boxsets, they haven't really been seen since 2e. Generally you got a box, some maps, and 3 books. Often times one was an adventure, one was campaign fluff, and the third was Player friendly stuff. Not all boxsets worked like this, but thats how I remember them.

5e, bring back the boxsets!

Last edited:

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
5e, bring back the boxsets!

Not likely to happen. Unless you want to spend obnoxious amounts on them, you won't see much. Word is TSR was pricing them based on what people would pay for them, not what they actually cost to make... which was higher.

HRG

First Post
Where is the sense in forcing players to buy adventures they won't use (adventures they shouldn't even be reading, no less) just to get new character options?

Sure, they might not use all the classes or feats in a normal splat, but at least the option is there. An adventure is just wasted space to someone who plays exclusively. You might as well sell him blank pages.

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
In my experience, only the DM's buy the Libris Mortis, Manual of the Planes, Heroes of Battle or Cityscape type books. The player of the current cleric tends to go for Complete Divine, the guy who wants to play a Illumian buys the Races of Destiny, etc.

Heck, I DM and the only reason I have some of the books you mentioned is that I found them on Amazon's warehouse site for under $10....but I do own all of the Complete and Races of books.

I doubt you're a minority in this, either. Personally, I found little of interest in the complete books (with occasional exceptions). Character options without setting context don't usually excite me. The PHB was more than enough content for a lifetime of play in that regard. It was those other books that captured my imagination. Note, though, that I consider the Races of X books to be prime examples of the kind of thing I like.

Now, I'll admit that I've changed a bit in recent years. The Pathfinder Advanced Player's Guide is phenomenal. It provides a couple more lifetimes worth of play material. But how many of these books do I really need?

Anyway, I think you get my point well enough.

Hussar

Legend
That's a point I hadn't thought of, but, it is valid I think. Do DM's really want character options? Sure, it's great to have this or that character bit here or there, but, at the end of the day, is it actually going to get used by the DM?

Trying to sell one book to two different groups of people with different interests is a great way not to sell anything at all.

Greg K

Legend
In my experience, only the DM's buy the Libris Mortis, Manual of the Planes, Heroes of Battle or Cityscape type books. The player of the current cleric tends to go for Complete Divine, the guy who wants to play a Illumian buys the Races of Destiny, etc..

In my experience, DMs do buy the former. As for the latter (i.e, player stuff), it is still up the DM to allow it for it to be used in play. If the DM does not like the player stuff, it doesn't matter that the player bought it. It is not getting used. If the DM liked it, they probably bought it as well.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads