D&D 5E Get The Vecna Dossier Free At D&D Beyond

WotC is offering a free product which you can claim by signing into D&D Beyond, including...

WotC is offering a free product which you can claim by signing into D&D Beyond, including Vecna’s 5E statistics.

The dossier includes the stat block plus a half page or so of lore. Vecna's stat block is a CR 26 undead wizard, prior to the fallen paladin (and former bodyguard to the lich) Kas's betrayal. That means he still has his hand and eye, although he is a time traveller and can appear in different worlds and eras.

87B34E29-DBB2-431B-8175-68D2BF94F8EF.jpeg

The archlich Vecna is one of the most iconic villains of Dungeons & Dragons lore. And now you can bear witness to his necromantic magic with the Vecna Dossier! Available at no cost with your D&D Beyond account, this thrilling supplement details the legacy and statistics of the Undying King himself!

This claim unlocks the contents of this promotional supplement for use with D&D Beyond, including the supplement in digital format in the game compendium and in the searchable listings, character builder, encounters, and digital sheet.

Reynard

Legend
An idea...

A book that contains 20 different Vecnas. These are the different ways he's set himself up across time and space in order to naughty word on players. Kill one Vecna, he comes back as the new one later on. Each Vecna has an adventure generator for them, one-shots and campaign-style generators I mean, as well as potential minions, NPCs, and unfathomable plans he's executing unique to that style.
This is a brilliant idea. I am totally in if someone wants to put this project together.

It occurs to me: how many people are going to have a pretty unfun time with this because they decided to read the stat block before a DM in their group offers to run the adventure or just a battle with Vecna?

Also: what's the over-under on how man "revised Vecna" PDFs we will see on DMsGuild before the weekend is out?
A good reason to never expect DMs to run NPCs as printed and to never do so as a DM.
An idea...

A book that contains 20 different Vecnas. These are the different ways he's set himself up across time and space in order to naughty word on players. Kill one Vecna, he comes back as the new one later on. Each Vecna has an adventure generator for them, one-shots and campaign-style generators I mean, as well as potential minions, NPCs, and unfathomable plans he's executing unique to that style.
aaaannnnddd that's Vecna. Unless you are in a party with Pelor, Tyr, and probably a small army of celestials you aren't going defeat him. Even they would have to settle for binding or trapping him on a demiplane or something of that sort. A few hundred thousand years later breaking free riding Zargon.

All of that said, if you really want an invincible Vecna, just stick him in an anti-magic field. He's immune to weapon damage, immune to most magics, and still get to technically teleport and heal if he wants to (one of the oddities of using abilities over spells). Slap that in his lair and I'm pretty sure he's completely unstoppable.
Did antimagic field get sage-adviced or something? If not, it would suppress all magical effects except those produced by his book, wouldn't it?

Dausuul

Legend
I think I prefer Legendary Resistance.

The thing is, the best save or suck effects, ones that stun you or remove actions, means that at 20th level, without around 300-500 HP, you will die before you get another turn. If Vecna gets stunned and then a Paladin, Fighter, and Warlock unload on him, he is almost certainly dead or dropped every low. Even if he recovers 80 HP, it won't be enough to save him the next round, especially if get hit with another save or suck effect.
I agree. (Vecna can't be stunned, but swap in any other form of action denial.)

Ideally, legendary monsters would have some ability that reduced the impact of debuffs while still allowing them to have some effect. However, the open-ended nature of the D&D rules means you can't possibly catalogue all the possible debuffs and their "reduced" versions in the monster statblock. That leaves two possibilities:

1. Each debuff includes a "reduced" version in its own text, or
2. All major debuffs are gated behind a single mechanic (in this case, saving throws), and legendary monsters have a protective measure that targets that mechanic (in this case, LR).

While #1 would result in a better play experience against legendary monsters, it would require a massive amount of additional rules text, which would only apply in a small fraction of combats. #2 is the simpler, more efficient solution.

darjr

I crit!
So the book has one major benefit possibilities, one makes you immune to blinded, deafen, stunned and petrificatiin.

One of the major drawback possibilities drains all magic from any potion within 10 feet of you.

What a surprise that would be!

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The better interpretation (I can see you are using spell check or auto-completion) is irrelevant. What matters is the RAW. I am not going to debate you on reading the english language. We can go round and round on prepositional and adverbial phrases. You can choose to believe you are right.
I have a degree in English literature and language. The ability specifically, grammatically says something different from standard Counterspell: he just needs to see the caster, not the casting.

Player: sweating I take an action to drink my tier 4 healing potion.

DM: noting happens as you drink tepid brackish water.
I legit know players that would get up from the table.

(I don't play with those people anymore.)
I have played at tables that would be out of bounds (not counter doing healing) and I have played at tables that would be great. just have to know your table

Reynard

Legend
I have played at tables that would be out of bounds (not counter doing healing) and I have played at tables that would be great. just have to know your table
Sure, everyone has their lines. But one of my lines is players that don't want anything bad to happen to their characters and/or feel that bad guys acting like bad guys is unfair. I would expect the vast majority of people I play with now would respond with, "That's awesome, you jerk!"

Remove ads

Remove ads