Get your own Low-Energy Nuclear Reactor for just 1,5 million dollars!

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Extremely dubious. Nickel + Hydrogen = Copper is the basic reaction?

Now, it is true that Nickel has 28 protons, and Copper has 29. However, you can't just add a proton to typical nickel, and get a stable isotope of copper. If you take Nickel-58 (the most abundant and stable nickel), and add a proton, you get Copper-59, which has a half life of about 81 seconds! If somehow you did get the reaction to go, it'd become highly radioactive, spitting out positrons as the copper decays back to nickel.

In order for this scenario to work, you'd need to take nickel, add one proton from hydrogen, and then get a few more hydrogens to swallow electrons (to become neutrons) and bulk out the atom to be vaguely stable. That scenario sounds complicated and unlikely. I wo't say it is impossible, but I am dubious.

The machine in question has a patent valid in Italy, but it was not granted a patent in the EU or in the USA, or anywhere else, as far as I can tell. The gent has declined to allow the machine to be tested by third parties (including NASA, who would certainly be interested in it if it worked).

Remove ads