Getting Attached

Gellion

First Post
I am sure this has happened to most of you. You make a character, get really attached to Him/Her, then He/She dies, and for some reason cannot be raised. The main problem i have is that almost every single character i have craeted i have gotten attached too. Luckily none of them has died, but there is always the possibility nagging at the back of my mind. So what do people here do to not get attached to their characters?

Norfleet

First Post
I carefully observe a player for potential signs of attachment to characters. When I observe the process beginning, I arrange for the character's death. Of course, so as to be fair about it, so the player doesn't feel singled out, I arrange the deaths of all of the other characters also.

Come to think of it, every adventure is an arranged death for the entire party, when I DM things. The d20 Munchkin Master's Guide puts me on the border between the "Monte Carlo" and "Monte Cristo" DMing styles.

rbingham2000

Explorer
Norfleet said:
I carefully observe a player for potential signs of attachment to characters. When I observe the process beginning, I arrange for the character's death. Of course, so as to be fair about it, so the player doesn't feel singled out, I arrange the deaths of all of the other characters also.

Come to think of it, every adventure is an arranged death for the entire party, when I DM things. The d20 Munchkin Master's Guide puts me on the border between the "Monte Carlo" and "Monte Cristo" DMing styles.
Okaaaaaay...would you mind explaining just what those two styles are?

eryndel

Explorer
I think we can learn a little something from our friend and savior, Jack Chick:

dd02b.jpg

alsih2o

First Post
but, but...you don't need to change your behavior.

this is like aksing "i get good heighth on my backflip and my form is perfect with an awesome landing. how can i prevent this?"

i will take an attached type over the "what the heck. i wanted to try a ranger/sorc anyway" type every day of the week :)

Wombat

First Post
One of my professors in grad school (a professor Medieval Thought, ergo theology) dropped out of rpgs very quickly.

Not because of religious objections.

Because he got too attached to his character and couldn't stand to see him die.

Such is as is :)

Most of my characters are lucky. I've gotten bored of them and retired them before they got a chance to get killed off. There were quite a few though. Three off the top of my head:
1) The entire party was slaughtered by an Ettin. We could have easily killed the Ettin, but we were trying to subdue it. We failed. I didn't really get depressed over that character. He died a climatic death.
2) I got a tad upset over a high-AC/low-HP Druid I had that was the victim of a Zombie Ogre getting a critical hit with it's greatclub. He died in one hit on the first session I was playing with him.
3) There was a wizard I had that I liked a lot that was pretty cool. He got worked to death by a troll. That irritated me.

I admit that my current character I have I'm relatively attached to, and I hope he doesn't die soon. But in general, I think character deaths are kind of entertaining, and give you an opportunity to make an even cooler character.

eryndel

Explorer
Now I'll be serious.

I think an ideal gaming situation is where characters do get attached to their characters and GMs are actively working to kill your character. That doesn't mean the threat of death isn't there, just that the mortality rate isn't all that high. I consider my a low mortality game, but in one of my more long running games I killed one character three times and another once. (Two of those deaths were in the last game and were very cinematic.) The other two times really were because of the situation and stemmed from the player actively trying to play his characters low wisdom (nipped him of that habit).
Honestly, I think the two go hand in hand. Those games that do have high mortality rates foster less attachment in one's characters. I don't see this as a good solution. I think the characters should get attached to better roleplay survival instincts and better roleplay. In these games, the characters should really die only because it's cinematic or a direct result of roleplaying.

Also, if they get attached to their characters, you get to see them cry more ;)

Remove ads