• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Getting Attached

Cedric

First Post
I always get attached to me characters...and I love my characters. But, while this may sound cold, I do have a surefire way of dealing with the pain and upset of losing a beloved character.

I think about how much fun I'll have creating another character. Doesn't help entirely, but it takes the sting away.

Cedric

mythago

Hero
bekkilyn_rpg said:
That's very true, but I think the player needs to be ready for such a transition first.

True. I meant only that from the player's POV, it's a good idea to consider "What happens if/when this character dies? How do I imagine him dying?" Unless it's a cinematic/four-color game or something like Toon, it's a possibility. Doesn't mean it won't still hurt, but sometimes people seem to forget that their characters can die.

"But I LIKE that character!"

"Oh, well then, let's rewind and add a +10 to your roll to disarm that trap. NOT."

bekkilyn_rpg said:
I was pretty sure you weren't saying that too, but you did remind me of some of the conversations I've heard concerning books where if an author never kills off a main character, then the book automatically sucks and isn't worthy of a title any better than 'dreck.'

Oh, blargh. No, I don't agree with that at all. In fact, some of the most gripping books are those where you know the hero survives (because it's a historical, or there's another book in the series), and you still get all tense when you reach a dangerous scene because the hero is in peril....I mean, what if...

:)

Particle_Man

Explorer
Well, you could always get that Ghostwalk supplement and adapt it to 3.5. Then you can keep playing the character after it is dead. :)

Actually, I have a character that I am attached to, but I also have the character's two brothers already delineated as adventurer types, simply because my DM does not pull punches...ever. So if I lose the one character, I can at least play others in the family line. It would help for me, anyhow.

Sounds like you were playing "The Ettin's Riddle".

No, we were playing a Sword and Sorcery module ate the time. (We don't play in the Sword and Sorcery campaign world, our DM just uses adventures from various sources) I forget what it's name was, but it was about a stolen crucible, and the Ettin skirmish was a sub-adventure. I don't want to go into detail, in case someone out there is playing it.

Remove ads