Getting back into the hobby. Need help with digital solutions

Monero

Villager
i used to play D&D all the time when I was a teenager but sadly I haven’t been able to play for nearly two decades. Anyways, I’m wanting to correct that as i want to run a game for both my wife and my 15 year old son. I actually met my wife though D&D so she’s familiar with the game and my son played some with his friends using discord over the summer. So none of us are new to the game, but I’m definitely out of the loop of modern gaming, which leads me to here looking for help.

I’m looking for digital solutions to run our game, both for ease of play and just because I love technology and want to make use of it.

Here’s my goal: I’d like like to run the entire game from my iPad Pro in terms of all the DM aspects. Notes, modules, pdfs, die rolling, etc. But I’d like to have battle maps, visual aids, and ambient sounds/music playing on our big screen tv in the living room. My gaming PC is hooked up to my tv so I’d have access to whatever software that could fit my needs. I’m thinking my wife and son could use the mouse to move tokens and navigate combat and whatnot while I’m running things on the iPad.

But I’m at a loss as to what software/website/app I’d use to accomplish this. I’ve researched this a bit and I’ve discovered Foundry, Roll20, D&D beyond, And Fantasy Grounds as potential solutions but I have no idea which if any of these would adequately address my needs.

Btw, assuming it matters, I’m heavily leaning towards 5th edition but I’m also open to trying Pathfinder.

As a secondary question, are any of the published modules appropriate for two players? Or will I have to crate custom adventures for them since the party of So small?

Thanks for any help!

HippyCraig

Explorer
Roll20 will work on an iPad if you have a paid subcription. Owlbear.rodeo is also free and works on an ipad and iphone. As for you pc connected to the tv there’s a chrome plug in that allows you to connect most vtt to dndbeyond. It’s called beyond20

i like foundry but its not designed to run on an iPad but might work on chrome book. It runs great on any modern pc or laptop

Last edited:

There's MapTools, a free VTT I used for a decade of F2F. I also recommend Roll20, which I use for online gaming. Either really enhances the game.

HippyCraig

Explorer
Looking on there site for roll20 not sure if you need a paid subscription or if the free will work. It is recommend if you can access it to use chrome on your iPad for better support I’m connected to a game where the dm pays for a subscription so it lets me use it so I can’t verify.

Thomas Shey

Legend
If you don't need a VTT to handle mechanics for you, can I point you to Maptool? I was using it as you say (projected on the TV in the room) for a couple years before COVID made it much more necessary.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Here’s my goal: I’d like like to run the entire game from my iPad Pro in terms of all the DM aspects. Notes, modules, pdfs, die rolling, etc. But I’d like to have battle maps, visual aids, and ambient sounds/music playing on our big screen tv in the living room. My gaming PC is hooked up to my tv so I’d have access to whatever software that could fit my needs. I’m thinking my wife and son could use the mouse to move tokens and navigate combat and whatnot while I’m running things on the iPad.
Very ambitious. Good luck!

But I’m at a loss as to what software/website/app I’d use to accomplish this. I’ve researched this a bit and I’ve discovered Foundry, Roll20, D&D beyond, And Fantasy Grounds as potential solutions but I have no idea which if any of these would adequately address my needs.
I'd recommend owlbear.rodeo because it's awesome, but I have no idea if it will run on iPad.

Btw, assuming it matters, I’m heavily leaning towards 5th edition but I’m also open to trying Pathfinder.
D&D 5th edition is a safe bet; it easily has the most money and time invested in making sure it's playable online/on device.

dbm

Savage!
We looked into VTTs as a group during COVID, and while there are new options now very few of them worked on an iPad; that will be your limiting factor. If you have a second PC in the house, using a Remote Desktop app on your iPad might be a work around (remote control second PC as the GM, PC connected to the big screen for the players).

It would probably still be clunky.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
I've looked into both Foundry and Roll20. One of the biggest differences there (for me) is that ROll20 is hosted remotely, while the Foundry hosts off of your own computer. So a Roll20 game will be available even when your computer isn't on, and isn't going to be quite as reliant on your computers specs to run smoothly (at least that's how I understand it). The internet where I live is, um, not good, so I need an option that doesn't involve me hosting the game server.

Remove ads